Overrated Underrated Bands and Underrated Overrated bands

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 02/11/2010 15:50
  • Post subject: Overrated Underrated Bands and Underrated Overrated bands
That title probably makes no sense but I'll try the best I can Rolling Eyes

Yesterday I was thinking about just that. What bands/artists are regarded as underrated even though they have now become overrated, due to intense praise from critics and fans

Also what bands due the general public think are overrated, had there due/time or considered as "commercial music" but are really overlooked in what they can do in terms of creating music and artistic ideas.

This is probally going to get really subjective, annoy a load of people and result in me being told something can only be overrated or underrated and It's all subjective.

But I had an idea for a thread so I'm going to run with it Cool

Here are my choices:

Overrated Underrated:
Sonic Youth
You Say Party! We say die!
Television
Nick Drake
Violent Femmes
The Feelies
Red House Painters

Underrated Overrated:
Manic Street Preachers
The Futureheads
Keane
Super Furry Animals
Athlete

Yeah... Smile
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/11/2010 16:16
  • Post subject:
overrated underrated:

the libertines (tabloid, fashion fodder. tuneless garbage.)
arctic monkeys (see above)
captain beefheart (originality is not the same as greatness)
frank zappa (see above. play a bicycle? fair play, but if it sounds like a bicycle, forget it. experimental music is fine, but not all experiments succeed.)
radiohead (insipid, mediocre songs. terrible singer. emotional? maybe.. but so what? britney spears gets pretty worked up too..)
muse (see above)
bob dylan (a handful of great songs is not enough when you've released god knows how many albums. i'm not a lyrics person really, so the rest just washes right over me. and i think dylan always had a penchant for self-aggrandization, if you read up on his history. blood on the tracks is one of the most overrated albums i've ever heard.)
a tribe called quest (maybe this sounded fresh back in the day, but it's hardly classic music is it?)

eric b and rakim (see above)
slint (not the worst music in the world.. but no way does it warrant the praise)
nick drake (horrid voice, as i've said before, sounds like a fat transvesdite)
neil young (bleh)
vampire weekend (rip off fail)
devo (ironic shit)

underrated overrated:

toto (africa, rosanna, hold the line etc. i believe they played too many solos and changed keys too many times for the critics and thus stumbled over the invisible line that distinguishes between modest profoundities and pretenencious bombast. who cares though, they're great.)
guns n roses (if they were creed or nickleback something, i'd understand. but these guys wrote november rain and welcome to the jungle. respect that!)
michael jackson (every song was pop perfection. can't fathom the accusations of talent-lacking)
the beach boys (pet sounds is the perfect pop album. like it or not, that's great)
backstreet boys (maybe pretty talentless themselves, but the tunes are very well written/arranged)
rihanna (see above)
queen (show me a better song than bohemian rhapsody)
eminem (rhyming skills are undeniable)

something like that anyway..
Gooserocker

• Posted: 02/11/2010 17:24
  • Post subject:
gadzooks
Kiki

• Posted: 02/11/2010 17:31
  • Post subject:
telefunker wrote:
overrated underrated:

frank zappa (see above. play a bicycle? fair play, but if it sounds like a bicycle, forget it. experimental music is fine, but not all experiments succeed.)
radiohead (insipid, mediocre songs. terrible singer. emotional? maybe.. but so what? britney spears gets pretty worked up too..)
muse (see above)
bob dylan (a handful of great songs is not enough when you've released god knows how many albums. i'm not a lyrics person really, so the rest just washes right over me. and i think dylan always had a penchant for self-aggrandization, if you read up on his history. blood on the tracks is one of the most overrated albums i've ever heard.)
a tribe called quest (maybe this sounded fresh back in the day, but it's hardly classic music is it?)

slint (not the worst music in the world.. but no way does it warrant the praise)
neil young (bleh)
devo (ironic shit)

underrated overrated:

toto (africa, rosanna, hold the line etc. i believe they played too many solos and changed keys too many times for the critics and thus stumbled over the invisible line that distinguishes between modest profoundities and pretenencious bombast. who cares though, they're great.)
guns n roses (if they were creed or nickleback something, i'd understand. but these guys wrote november rain and welcome to the jungle. respect that!)
michael jackson (every song was pop perfection. can't fathom the accusations of talent-lacking)
the beach boys (pet sounds is the perfect pop album. like it or not, that's great)
backstreet boys (maybe pretty talentless themselves, but the tunes are very well written/arranged)
rihanna (see above)

Are there people who consider Arctic Monkeys, Muse and Radiohead as underrated? Shocked What about Bjork?

Some great choices though, I should have put Vampire Weekend on my list.
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/11/2010 17:39
  • Post subject:
haha, yeah.. i think i got the whole under-over-under thing a bit skewed.. apologies for that.

goosey, you need to double your dose. your posts are becoming increasingly curt and contemptuous..
Kiki

• Posted: 02/11/2010 17:45
  • Post subject:
Yeah, thats okay Razz I thought I would end up confusing everyone with this.

Your inclusion of Toto on here and your chart intrigues me too. I might check what other songs they had apart from Africa soon.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2010 18:29
  • Post subject:
Check out the entire Toto IV album.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 02/11/2010 18:54
  • Post subject: Re: Overrated Underrated Bands and Underrated Overrated band
an_outlaw wrote:
That title probably makes no sense but I'll try the best I can Rolling Eyes

I can be just as obtuse. I prefer to listen to accomplished musicians and talented singers. They are underrated today and can not be overrated in my opinion. I don't care for distortion, shoegaze, fuzzy, autotuned, pure synth bands, screachers and emo whiners. They are overrated today and can not be underrated in my opinion. And don't get me started on soul sucking zombie electronic dance music.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 02/11/2010 19:15
  • Post subject:
telefunker wrote:
overrated underrated:

muse (see above)

neil young (bleh)
devo (ironic shit)

underrated overrated:

rihanna (see above)

Hahahahaha good one.......wait this is for real?!
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2010 19:21
  • Post subject:
Like I'd like to like which albums you like to hate even though you don't like or hate them. Wink
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website