Musician Hell

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 09/30/2013 22:09
  • Post subject: Musician Hell
No religious or theological debates please. We're not taking it that way.

What I want you to imagine is a place a musician/artist goes in there dreams. A terrible place full of misery and boredom. Here they may find someone and ask where they have found themselves. The person will simply respond "You are in Musician Hell".

This thread is about the bad things which might put an artist in 'Musician Hell'. Of course you can say "killing people" or "destroying things" but they are bad things anyone can do, the idea is to keep it related to musicians only. Do you think plagiarism is the worse? Treating fans badly? Using keyboards???? Laughing Laughing

While this thread will inevitably mention the names of real artists and bands, it is not the same as "When musicians do bad/evil things" topic which has done before. This is a sin list for musicians. Things which you believe the musician in the 2nd paragraph could have done to be placed in 'Musician Hell'.

What are the greatest sins a musician can commit? Twisted Evil
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 09/30/2013 22:28
  • Post subject:
Charging fans to meet them. Those paid meet and greets are a straight slap to the face of fans. Then again, "fans" need to start paying for music again. I dream of a merciless crackdown on piracy. Alas, it is only a dream.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/30/2013 22:35
  • Post subject:

Link

If you record an album even slightly resembling this one, you go straight to Musician Hell.
(From this you could probably guess I'm not a big fan of Boris.)

• Posted: 09/30/2013 22:39
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
Then again, "fans" need to start paying for music again. I dream of a merciless crackdown on piracy. Alas, it is only a dream.

All piracy? I download a lot of music illegally, but also buy a lot of music in store. If I think an album is worth paying for, and I can afford it, I pay for it. "A merciless crackdown on piracy" sounds a little draconian. Do you mean jail time? Fines? Do you actually want to stop people from hearing music? Also, music piracy has brought us a lot of great things. If you'll excuse me quoting myself:

Saoirse wrote:
From the time you first started getting serious into current music to now, how do you think music has progressed and do you see any boiling-under-the-water movements in the musical world that might lead to some great things in the future?

The rise of illegal downloading has been a godsend, and I truly believe that. It’s given potential artists the chance to check out more music than ever before. I can now sit and listen to music from the remotest corners of the world, across thousands of genres. That has to be a good thing, going forward. We’ve already seen the rise of post-regional hip-hop, guys like Rocky coming out of Harlem with a Houston sound, and the same thing is happening all over the place, from metal to electronic music. I definitely think that the immediate availability of tribal music these days has had a massive influence on the polyrhythms of post-dubstep music. The likes of Ramadanman and Untold sound more in tune with African music than any form of European, melody-based music. We’re seeing far more natural genre-hybrids these days, as opposed to the awkward ones we used to get (funk-metal, anybody?). These days, people’s varied influences are pushing all types of music in new directions, but in a subtle, organic manner. It’s healthy. I don’t know what comes next, but I’m excited to find out.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 09/30/2013 22:54
  • Post subject:
You bring up nothing but good points. I just hate that artists don't get paid for the art they create and the hard work they put into it. If someone wants to release music for free, fine, but if it's created as someone's sole source of revenue, pay. There are definitely pros and cons to the matter. I can see why people would love music piracy. I guess it just comes down to me not caring for music from the remotest corners of the world.

EDIT: There seems to be more of a stigma for starving people stealing food than there is for people stealing music. It hurts my brain.

• Posted: 09/30/2013 23:22
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
You bring up nothing but good points. I just hate that artists don't get paid for the art they create and the hard work they put into it. If someone wants to release music for free, fine, but if it's created as someone's sole source of revenue, pay. There are definitely pros and cons to the matter. I can see why people would love music piracy. I guess it just comes down to me not caring for music from the remotest corners of the world.

But it's not just "the remotest corners of the world", it's also localized scenes much closer to home that can now be discovered on a national and international scale. And it has led to a change in how the industry works, with more and more artists choosing to cut out the middle man and release their music independently, be it free or not. It means more artistic license and freedom, which has got to be good thing. This is largely down to internet piracy. Whilst certain bands got very rich during the record industry boom, most made the vast majority of their money from touring, and things haven't changed in that sense. Of course piracy is hurting a lot of artists financially, but if you communicate to and with your fan base at a level whereby they are willing to support you, you will make enough money to live. Some artists fall by the wayside and find that their art is unsustainable and thus not worth continuing with, and that truly is a shame, but that's always happened and isn't just a byproduct of piracy. I feel like right now we have more people getting their music heard than ever before, and that's a great thing. As you said, there are pros and cons, but I feel the pros of piracy massively outweigh the cons.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: good for you if you purchase music, that's highly commendable. But feeling animosity towards other music fans (or, worse, doling out "merciless" punishment, whatever that may entail) for illegally downloading music, many of whom wouldn't hear it otherwise, is wrong. If you choose to buy the music you listen to, well done, but there's no reason to get up on a high horse about it and wish ill will to those who don't or can't.

Lastly, regarding the food/music comparison: I have very little problem with starving people stealing food. I'm a communist, why would I care? But the reason there is more of a stigma about it is because a grocer serves a necessary purpose. People need food to live, and stealing from (and thus hurting) those who provide it is seen as a bad thing. What hurts a grocer financially hurts every other customer. (These aren't necessarily my opinions, but rather observations about how society thinks). Music is a luxury (both to listen to and to perform) and anybody who managed to get away with being a professional musician, as opposed to having to work a "real job" (being a grocer, for example), is pretty lucky to begin with. Stealing from them doesn't have an impact on anyone's livelihood other than theirs, and even then they could still go and find another job.

Anyway, my main points are all in the first paragraph. The rest is just hastily cobbled together to counter another argument.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2013 00:02
  • Post subject:
Ed Kowalczyk (formerly) of Live secretly signed all of the bands copyrights over to himself. He then demanded a $100,000 lead singer bonus for a festival gig.

Hell awaits!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 10/01/2013 00:33
  • Post subject:
Having a band made up of your closest friends, then dumping them for a music career that benefits you only.

Also, insulting your own fan base.

Plagiarizing other artists, then freaking out when someone copies you.
rayword45

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2013 03:02
  • Post subject:
Committing murder (Burzum, Phil Spector)
Beating women (Chris Brown, Dr. Dre)
Eating shit (There can only be one...)
Committing fraud (Greg Ginn)
Throwing temper tantrums over not winning awards (Kanye West, among general jackassery)
  • Visit poster's website
mnorris75

• Posted: 10/01/2013 03:09
  • Post subject:
- Choosing to put out a song / album you think will sell, instead of one that you think is good
- Plagiarism

Other than those two, I'm not really sure there's anything I'd have a problem with, other than hateful / threatening lyrics, or just generally screwing people over to further yourself.

Last edited by mnorris75 on 10/01/2013 03:11; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website