Last Fm Group

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/20/2014 20:05
  • Post subject:

Although my account hasn't scrobbled from my iPod for months, so it's a bit useless.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/20/2014 20:08
  • Post subject:
Can you scrobble from your iPod too? Also, what about the usefulness part of my question? Is it helping you with anything? (recs, keeping up with events, connecting with people?)

I'll probably make an account over the weekend.. I think there should be an old account of mine floating around actually... But I can't remember the username or password, so.
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 03/20/2014 21:28
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Can you scrobble from your iPod too? Also, what about the usefulness part of my question? Is it helping you with anything? (recs, keeping up with events, connecting with people?)

I'll probably make an account over the weekend.. I think there should be an old account of mine floating around actually... But I can't remember the username or password, so.

yeah it's pretty cool for concerts in your area (i've been made aware of 3 or 4 in the year or so i've been using) and the recs are pretty obvious, but i've discovered some really cool stuff thanks to the recs given. The best part however is the neighbours feature, where it shows you people with similar tastes, they usually contain loads of recs.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/20/2014 21:41
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:

It does keep me up with gigs, although I don't use that much, still I have planned two gigs with this (Malkmus, and Diane Cluck is coming in early April)

+ I really like seeing what contacts are listening to, and I keep in touch with people who aren't on BEA (though not on a daily basis I'll admit).

I'm also some sort of data freak, and realising Sun Ra was the artists I listened to the most often was quite a revelation.

All in all, quite liking it. Absolutely not indispensable of course.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/20/2014 21:50
  • Post subject:

I have mixed feelings about Last.fm On one hand it's great being connected to this huge community of music listeners, it's pretty useful keeping track of what you've listened to the most, and it often gets recommendations right - but sometimes I feel too exposed. Should I be able to listen to as many songs as I want without feeling guilty? Should music listening to a solitary experience? I'm not sure I always enjoy the idea that I'm merely a small part of this huge ecosystem whenever I listen to a song, when I want my experience to be my experience only. When people ask me why I don't use Spotify, I say it's because I don't want to be constantly connected to Facebook and my friends when listening to music - but I realize that's hypocritical when I use Last.fm.

I toy with the idea of deleting my Last.fm for a while so I can make listening to a song be soley about listening to the song, and not adding to anything but my own enjoyment. I'm likely other-thinking it, and right now it feels too useful to do away with.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/20/2014 22:43
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Should I be able to listen to as many songs as I want without feeling guilty?

That's more your problem than last.fm's tbh. But I get you, that Big Bro feeling is uneasy to handle.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/20/2014 23:52
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Also, how many people here are using last.fm anyway and how useful do you find it? I'm thinking of re-joining, if nothing else because it seems easier to track events around here + there's actually some slovenians on that site, unlike RYM or here.

+7

But yeah, I use it to track potential concerts as I'm not really prevalent into the local scene (most of the people I know are in the generic metalcore scene, ick!) and I've probably been using it the longest despite what my profile says I've been around in some capacity on the site since 2006. It's useful for communication and I like the idea of tracking my taste over the years; reccomendations are more personalized.

Groups feature is either crap or decent.

I use the recommendation radio.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 03/21/2014 01:04
  • Post subject:
Quote:
last.fm

#8 http://www.last.fm/user/fluxuscapacitor

use it to show off, increase my penis size, and seduce sexual partners

also concerts
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/21/2014 06:56
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:

use it to show off, increase my penis size, and seduce sexual partners

also concerts

Terrific, I'll start using it then. Will add you guys...

I think one of the reasons why I stopped using last.fm in the first place was that at the time I didn't listen to a lot of music on the computer, but rather on CDs and vinyl, which meant that the scrobbling function gave a bit of a misinformation.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/21/2014 07:02
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Terrific, I'll start using it then. Will add you guys...

I think one of the reasons why I stopped using last.fm in the first place was that at the time I didn't listen to a lot of music on the computer, but rather on CDs and vinyl, which meant that the scrobbling function gave a bit of a misinformation.

Use the scrobbler to your benefit, don't be ruled by it. That's the unsung rule of last.fm, honestly. Man, when I was a teenager (god I feel old) the anxiety fits I'd go through because of what it looked like because of what I actually listened to.... I was such a pretentious twit.
  • Visit poster's website