Anybody want to start a music blog?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 10/13/2013 15:48
  • Post subject: Anybody want to start a music blog?
I'm pretty sure this idea was toyed with at some point in BEA's distant past, but it's something I've been considering for a while and I think we have enough erudite layabouts among our number to actually put something (resembling) reasonable together. I guess my idea is that we would primarily focus on new music, but with room for all sorts of articles and write-ups on stuff from across the entire musical spectrum, past and present, not to mention shorter posts highlighting some new tracks or wonderful curios that we've happened across on our respective trawls of the world wide web and beyond. I'm completely open to ideas and suggestions.

So this thread is to canvas opinion, attract support, and share ideas. The more people we can get onboard, the better. It doesn't matter if you don't feel as though you're a strong enough writer or an interesting enough voice, I feel that each member of this forum can bring something unique and valuable to the table.

So holla at me if you're interested and we can further discuss how to move forward in this thread. Cheers.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Those who have expressed an interest in helping:

sp4cetiger (contributing content)
Puncture Repair (possibly contributing, possibly more)
RockyRaccoon (contributing content)
JMan (contributing content)
Saoirse (contributing, editing)
MrFrogger (editing)
Norman Bates (Trotskyite treachery)
tekin (contributing content)
IrishMusicHead (contributing content)
Applerill (contributing content)
an_outlaw (possibly contributing)
Mancsoulsister (possible part-time development, assorted Capitalist evils financial planning)
revolver94 (editing, possibly contributing)
nutso42 (contributing content)
Hayden (contributing, editing)
iamnotanotter (editing, occasionally contributing)
Gowienczyk (contributing content)
Le_Samurai (contributing content)

Last edited by Guest on 11/13/2013 20:26; edited 7 times in total
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/13/2013 15:57
  • Post subject:
Sounds like a great idea. I totally agree that there's enough collective wisdom here to give it some quality and I'd be happy to contribute articles. Lately my listening has focused on music history, but I still dabble in new music from time to time.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/13/2013 17:25
  • Post subject:
Very interested - I don't often get the opportunity to talk about music apart from here at BEA, and I've been planning on starting a music blog for a while, but I've been concerned it wouldn't get much support.

That said, as with the ideas toyed before, chances are most people that are prominent on the forums will want to be involved, and I'd hate to be another chef spoiling the broth.

I'll keep my eye on the thread and see how things go down.

• Posted: 10/13/2013 17:29
  • Post subject:
I'd love to see this. Idk if I'd be able to contribute much, but I'd read it for sure.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/13/2013 17:32
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I'd love to see this. Idk if I'd be able to contribute much, but I'd read it for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2013 18:10
  • Post subject:
I think this would be awesome. I'd love to be able to contribute as well as read what everyone else here would post. I think it'd be a really good blog.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/13/2013 18:16
  • Post subject:
I would be interested in helping out, but I can't write a review worth a shit and have nowhere near enough musical knowledge at this point in my life.
But I think it's a great idea (I was in favour when a similar thing was proposed the first time here), and we have enough great writers here with that knowledge which I lack to make it work. You have my (limited) support
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 10/13/2013 18:24
  • Post subject:
I can write a great review if I put enough time into it. I'll join. Just tell me what I need to do when the time comes. I can definitely help with unique kinds of music (Wagnerian rock, Alice Cooper, rock operas, etc.)

Would this be a good example of a review, Lethal?

BAT OUT OF HELL:
40,000,000 copies sold, and Paradise By the Dashboard Light. Enough said on how great the album is, but I will say more. If any album could define "rock opera" as a sound or a genre, it would be this album. There are many influences including classical (Heaven Can Wait), hard rock, (Bat Out of Hell), jazz fusion (All Revved Up), and oldschool (Paradise by the Dashboard Light). There are so many elements each song uses that it's totally different from any other album. The same can be said for the second Bat album.

I was introduced to the screaming power and teenage angst of Bat two years after I heard the second, which is also a great album. When I heard the first sold forty million copies, I said to myself, "Time to hit eBay!" I bought the whole trilogy, and now they are my favorite three CD's. BOOH is soon to be a Broadway play that was written in the seventies, but I won't see it because the script sucks (I've read it on Jim Steinman's website) and it's very offensive, especially to Jews. But the album as an ALBUM is freakishly awesome. Nobody's ever going to get me to change my mind about Meat Loaf, because the BOOH trilogy rocks so loud and so hard through sex, drums, and Edgar Winter!

Last edited by JMan on 10/13/2013 18:35; edited 2 times in total
Saoirse

• Posted: 10/13/2013 18:29
  • Post subject:
Yeah Im definitely interested in reading and contributing. Can definitely help out with modern singer-songwriter and Texas based music

• Posted: 10/13/2013 18:55
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Would this be a good example of a review, Lethal?

There's some potential there.

Of course, this is still at an ideas stage. We'd need some sort of editorial team (a Soviet-style Central Committee if you will, albeit it with less forced labour and dodgy facial hair) to help with the running of the blog and deciding which content to post, as well as proof-reading and assisting users in articulating their thoughts. As I said, the option to contribute is open to everybody, but we'll never get anywhere by posting writing of poor quality. Also, there are more pressing issues to deal with first.

Anyway, keep your thoughts coming everybody. Any ideas that people would like to see implemented are best discussed now. Also, anybody that is particularly keen on helping out in a big way - be it aesthetically, editorially, thematically, or sexually - please state as early as possible, be it in this thread or via PM.