• Post subject:
Antony. So touching.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2013 15:49
  • Post subject:
I really like both, and could vote for either on any given day. I prefer Spencer Krug's records as Sunset Rubdown a bit better than anything Wolf Parade did.

Antony & The Johnsons introduced the world to one of the oddest, most powerful voices I've ever heard. It's an emotionally charged experience.

My vote goes to Antony you magically bizarre creature.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 10/17/2013 16:15
  • Post subject:
Apologies to the queen mary is an album I feel difficult to speak about. While I do love it, pinpointing exactly what it is, is something I have yet to be able to do. While I don't feel it has the same emotional impact as many of my other favorite albums, the variety of songs are able to appeal to many emotions. The album has the ability to make me feel depressed or cheer me right up, depending on the song of course, but it doesn't have that sound that makes it feel like it should. I find this album (like most of my favorites) to be perfect, everything is just played so well and it's so ingeniously made (some might argue that it's just that mid 00's indie rock sound you would hear, but it's much more). Wolf Parade take a variety of sounds into this album and make everything sound so perfect. Other than that, what I love the most is the singing. Spencer Krug has got to have one of my favorite voices as far as singing goes, every song he does goes perfect with his voice (not to say it's not the same with boeckner, but I just love Krug).

Also, "I'll believe in anything" is one of the best songs ever made. It's such a perfect love song that doesn't sound anything like the typical love song.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2013 16:20
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Other than that, what I love the most is the singing. Spencer Krug has got to have one of my favorite voices as far as singing goes, every song he does goes perfect with his voice (not to say it's not the same with boeckner, but I just love Krug).

Great pick Happy Meal. I didn't vote for it, but I do really like the album.

Are you familiar with Frog Eyes? If you like Spencer Krug's voice, you should check them out. Carey Mercer's voice is maybe a weirder version of Krug's
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 10/17/2013 16:22
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Great pick Happy Meal. I didn't vote for it, but I do really like the album.

Are you familiar with Frog Eyes? If you like Spencer Krug's voice, you should check them out. Carey Mercer's voice is maybe a weirder version of Krug's

I have heard of Frog Eyes previously, but have yet to check them out, I'll go listen to them when I can, where is the best place to start?
meezus

• Posted: 10/17/2013 16:26
  • Post subject:
This is really tough. I just now listened to both of these albums for the first time and completely loved both of them. I'll have to think about my vote a little bit more. I'm really glad to have found both of these through this tournament though. I could definitely return to either of them. Good picks.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2013 16:27
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I have heard of Frog Eyes previously, but have yet to check them out, I'll go listen to them when I can, where is the best place to start?

I really like Paul's Tomb: A Triumph. You'll hear a lot of similarities to Sunset Rubdown/Wolf Parade.

He also released a new one a couple weeks ago. I haven't spent much time with it yet, but it may be his most accessible album.

http://frogeyesmusic.bandcamp.com/album...old-spring
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/17/2013 17:25
  • Post subject:
This is the weakest match-up so far. I love "I Am a Bird Now" but on this debut, the production cannot achieve the kind of sincerity that one expects from an album this emotional; that makes the album sound oversentimental and overly melodramatic. Overall it's immature with one or two memorable songs. Wolf Parade on the other hand has a decent debut with decent to good songs but I feel this album is famous because it sounds like a Modest Mouse tribute album while being from Canada brings with itself comparisons with Arcade Fire for it. I think I'd vote for oversentimentality and naiveté over derivativeness and hype.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 10/17/2013 19:54
  • Post subject:
It's really great to see Antony gather so many votes.

I actually love Apologies, it's one of my favorite discoveries from this tourney. I wouldn't mind seeing it win against Antony (OK, I would, but still, great music in tht record).

Antony Hegarty is my favorite singer ever. His voice is truly one of the most incredible of all time. If you've never listened to his music, well, I don't necessarily expect you to listen to his debut. There are lots of other great albums in the tourney and obviously you can't listen to everything. However, I would recommend you to listen to just one song, because the voice. I can't put into words how deep in my heart it touches me. The one song I'd call my favorite out of his debut is Cripple And The Starfish. The lyrics are typical of the band : about love through violent sadomasochism. So touching. But the moment when the second chorus comes with the horns and Antony is repeating "and I'll grow back like a starfish" again and again is one of my favorite musical moments ever.

The album, ironically, is not on my chart because of the one-album-per-artist restriction. His second release is indeed my #1, so it's not surprising actually. But without that, this would be, like, in my top 50 at the very least. I much prefer it to The Crying Light for example. Overall it's a truly sad album, with maintly orchestral instrumentation and Antony's magical voice. I would compare the experience of listening to this to being an angel falling from the sky, losing feathers, and finally crashing in the sea to go deeper and deeper in the dark.

Actually, fuck that, just listen to it if you haven't, because it's just one of the most powerful records I know.
  • Visit poster's website