Pick one band: your top 10 lyrics

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2010 16:02
  • Post subject: Pick one band: your top 10 lyrics
Chafing at having to pick just one lyric for that other thread, I figured why not have a thread dedicated to your 10 favorite lyrics by one band?

Go ahead and post multiple times with different bands, but please wait until several others have posted before coming in with another band. Don't post the same band twice (though someone else can).

Denote song, album and (year) for each.

Using my pick from that other thread: Jesus Jones

"Mary hangs from the rearview mirror/On the dash her son's come off worse/We've got a carload of faith here/And we're saved from the world by some verse" - Move Mountains, Liquidizer (1989)

"So here's a thought while we burn our bridges/If the pen's not worth the sword then/pass the gun and praise the Lord" - All the Answers, Liquidizer (1989)

"I never pass a headline by/cause everyone will catch my eye/and though it's tough to keep alert/you never know what could hurt me" - Info Freako, Liquidizer (1989)

"Have you ever felt that it's someone else living your life/The image of you only better it's true" - Who? Where? Why?, Doubt (1990)

"black and white and wrong and right/real and real and how do you feel?/
the louder you shout the better you're heard/the meek shall inherit the earth--that's absurd!/the bigger they come, the harder they fall/'til you're big enough you don't fall at all" - Two and Two, Doubt (1990)

"let the air wash over me/feel the ground sink beneath my feet/
and i expect so much more from today/than just a time between tomorrow and yesterday" - Blissed, Doubt (1990)

"All the things I read come from magazines/My concentration never was what it might have been/And I know that I'm impatient but there isn't really time/To have all these ideas going through my mind" - Magazine, Perverse (1993)

"I don't need someone like you/Expecting me to share your views/
'Cos I don't expect that what you see/ has anything to do with me/
Oh no, not me, I'm not part of your crusade" - Your Crusade, Perverse (1993)

"Where there's an aircraft down/There'll be casualties from some English town/There's always an African war/Meaning one vote, once, once more" - In The Face of All Of This, London (2001)

"Semi-detached, neither one place nor the other/A brand new door on the latch/but you still need a blessing from me/I couldn't sleep, time was stealing/Simple blow and now I'm reeling/ and then you learn to stand alone." - Halfway House, Culture Vulture EP (2004)

Last edited by Charicature on 04/21/2010 01:22; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2010 16:26
  • Post subject:
Since nobody understands what she's saying in the first place, I'll go with Tori again. :p These are in no particular order.

"I'm a MILF, don't you forget"-Big Wheel, American Doll Posse (2007)

"She's your Cocaine/ She's got you shaving your legs /you can suck anything/ but you know you wanna be me"-She's Your Cocaine, From the Choirgirl Hotel (1998)

"I've been looking for a savior in these dirty streets/Looking for a savior/beneath these dirty sheets/ I've been raising up my hands/ Drive another nail in/ Got enough guilt to start My own religion"-Crucify, Little Earthquakes (1991)

"And in the mist there she rides/ And castles are burning in my heart/And as I twist I hold tight/ And I ride to work every morning wondering why/"Sit in the chair and be good now"/and become all that they told you
the white coats enter her room/and I'm callin' my baby callin' my baby callin' my baby callin'"-Girl, Little Earthquakes (1991)

"And my priest says/ 'You ain't saving any souls'/My father says/ 'You ain't making any money'"-Take to the Sky, B-side (1992)

"You'll never gain weight from a doughnut hole"-Doughnut Song, Boys For Pele (1996)

"Father, I killed my monkey"-Bliss, To Venus and Back (1999)

"You Said You Wanted safer Ground/But You Got Caught Up In The River/I Was There To Save You Boy/But You'd rather Drown/ You Said You Were Unhappy/ But That Was Alright/Better Than Not Knowin'/What's On The Other Side"-On the Boundary, Y Kant Tori Read, 1988

"I remember/Yes/In my peach party dress/No one dared/No one cared To tell me/ Where the pretty girls are/Those demigods/ With their nine-inch nails/ And a little fascist panties /Tucked inside the heart Of every nice girl"-Precious Things, Little Earthquakes (1991)

"so you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts/ what's so amazing about really deep thoughts?"-Silent All These Years, Little Earthquakes (1991)
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2010 02:35
  • Post subject:
Pink Floyd:

1. "There's someone in my head, but it's not me."-Brain Damage
2. "And as the windshield melts, my tears evaporate, leaving only charcoal to defend."-Two Suns in the Sunset
3. "And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, no one told you when to run. You missed the starting gun."-Time
4. "Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see?"-In The Flesh?
5. "If I had my way, I'd have all of you shot!"-In The Flesh
6. "What did you dream? It's alright, we told you what to dream."-Welcome to the Machine
7. "He wonders if you're sleeping with your newfound faith. Could anybody love him, or is it just a crazy dream?"-The Final Cut
8. "Was it you? Was it me? Did I watch too much TV? Is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?"-The Post War Dream
9. "When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now, the child is grown, the dream is gone."-Comfortably Numb
10. "Oh, by the way: Which one's Pink?"-Have a Cigar

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 04/02/2010 03:59
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
Pink Floyd:

1. "There's someone in my head, but it's not me."-Brain Damage
2. "And as the windshield melts, my tears evaporate, leaving only charcoal to defend."-Two Suns in the Sunset
3. "And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, no one told you when to run. You missed the starting gun."-Time
4. "Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see?"-In The Flesh?
5. "If I had my way, I'd have all of you shot!"-In The Flesh
6. "What did you dream? It's alright, we told you what to dream."-Welcome to the Machine
7. "He wonders if you're sleeping with your newfound faith. Could anybody love him, or is it just a crazy dream?"-The Final Cut
8. "Was it you? Was it me? Did I watch too much TV? Is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?"-The Post War Dream
9. "When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now, the child is grown, the dream is gone."-Comfortably Numb
10. "Oh, by the way: Which one's Pink?"-Have a Cigar

"Long you live and high you fly
Smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
All you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2010 04:50
  • Post subject:
1. We are the Village Green Preservation Society
2. God save Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety
3. We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
4. God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties
5. Preserving the old ways from being abused
6. Protecting the new ways for me and for you
7. What more can we do
8. We are the Draught Beer Preservation Society
9. God save Mrs. Mopp and good Old Mother Riley
10. We are the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium
11. God save the George Cross and all those who were awarded them
12. We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
13. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
14. We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity
15. God save little shops, china cups and virginity
16. We are the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliate
17. God save tudor houses, antique tables and billiards
18. Preserving the old ways from being abused
19. Protecting the new ways for me and for you
20. What more can we do
21. God save the Village Green.

The Village Green Preservation Society
Written by: Ray Davies
Published by: Noma Music, Inc./Hi-Count Music, Inc. BMI
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
theharrisonfords

• Posted: 04/19/2010 06:55
  • Post subject:
Brian Eno: Who would've thought so much could come from so much phonetically driven lyrics?

1. King's Lead Hat - "The passage of my life is measured out in shirts"
2. Baby's One Fire - "Take your time, she's only burning"
3. Dead Finks Don't Talk - "To be a zombie all the time requires such dedication"
4. Burning Airlines Give You So Much More - "While miles below her the curlews call from strangely stunted trees."
5. The Paw Paw Negro Blowtorch - "By this time I got to looking for a kind of substitute/I can't tell you who I found except that it rhymes with "dissolute""
6. Backwater - "But if you study the logistics And heuristics of the mystics You will find that their minds rarely move in a line"
7. St. Elmo's Fire - "And we saw St. Elmo's Fire Splitting ions in the ether"
8. Mother Whale Eyeless - "Living so close to danger Even your friends are strangers Don't count upon their company."
9. Cindy Tells Me - "Some of them lose, and some of them lose,
But that's what they want, and that's what they choose."
10. The True Wheel - "Looking For a Certain Ratio/ Someone Must Have Left It Underneath the Carpet"
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 04/20/2010 18:59
  • Post subject:
Captain Beefheart

1. You used me like an ashtray heart!
2. The new dinosoar walkin' in the old ones shoes - come on down to the big dig
3. Space age couple why do you hex your magic muscle? Cultivate the grounds they're the only ones around
4. Tropical hot dog night! All you little girls come out to meet the monster tonight
5. At the same time you know you're a girl, I know I'm a man.
6. I wish I hadn't told you all those love lies
7. The blacks birds feedin' on rice and his red wings look like diamonds and lice
8. Sweet little children with doves on their shoulders their eyes rolled back in ecstasy, crying please old man stop this misery
9. Fast n' bulbous! That's right the mascara snake. Fast n' bulbous. Also a tin teardrop. Bulbous also tapered (that's right).
10. Smoke billowing up between her legs made me vomit beautifully

aw man, 10 is not even close to enough for Beefheart.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 04/20/2010 21:05
  • Post subject:
Elston wrote :

Quote:
10. Smoke billowing up between her legs made me vomit beautifully

How I love that line ! That and...

Pena exclaimed : "That's the raspberries !"
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 04/20/2010 23:03
  • Post subject:
Heh!

"That's the raspberries" gets me too. I love the way they giggle in the song.
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 04/22/2010 20:56
  • Post subject:
Bob Dylan
In no particular order

1. Keep a clean nose, a wash of clean clothes; you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. – Subterranean Homesick Blues- Bringing It All Back Home

2. Everybody is making love or else expecting rain- Desolation Row- Highway 61’ Revisited

3. Let me ask you one question, is your money that good, will it buy you forgiveness, do you think that it could, I think you will find, when your death takes its toll, all the money you’ve made won’t ever buy back your soul- Master’s of War- The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan

4. But nobody has any respect, anyway they already expect you to all give a check to tax deductable charity organizations- Ballad of a Thin Man- Highway 61’ Revisited

5. You’ll never know the hurt I’ve suffered, nor the pain I rise above, and I’ll never know the same about you, your holiness or your kind of love, and it makes me feel so sorry- Idiot Wind- Blood on the Tracks

6. Darkness at the break of noon, shadows even the silver spoon, the handmade blade the child’s balloon, eclipses both the sun and moon, to understand you knew to soon, there is no sense in trying- It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)- Bringing It All Back Home

7. Nobody has to guess, that baby can’t be blessed, till she finally sees like she’s like all the rest, with her fog, her amphetamine, and her pearls- Just Like a Woman- Blonde on Blonde

8. With your silhouette when the sunlight dims, into your eyes where the moonlight swims, and your match-book songs and your gypsy hymns, who among them would try to impress you?- Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands- Blonde on Blonde

9. Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind, down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves, the haunted frightened trees, out to the windy beach, far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow. Yes to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate, driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow- Mr. Tambourine Man- Bringing it all Back Home

10. The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face- Visions of Johanna- Blonde on Blonde
  • Visit poster's website