View previous topic :: View next topic
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2010 14:09
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Freddie55 wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Newer artists need the money and marketing power of the labels.

Obviously, you don't read Bob Lefsetz Laughing

Is he the moron bitch boy?
You can feed yourself. Google Lefsetz.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2010 14:24
  • Post subject:
Charicature wrote:
Apparently YOU didn't get the memo that even vinyl isn't dead - just relegated to the back of the bus. With the millions upon millions of CD players out there and many people still desiring a physical backup for their musical libraries, I think it'll be a lot longer than 5 years before the CD dies. A CD is like a miniature record...a flash drive just can't capture the feeling of holding one in your hands, plus the liner notes on flash drives are really tiny.

Funny Smile What's your definition of dead? Yes, there are still 33s, 45s and even 78s out there and some new vinyl is still being pressed. At one time everybody (yes everybody) had a turntable and all the major electronics manufacturers had their own brand. Is vinyl alive? I say it's on a respirator. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10192343-47.html
I stand by my comment, CDs are done!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 04/06/2010 14:51
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Give me 60 to 80 minutes on a CD since they can store 80 minutes of uncompressed audio (700 MB of data). Anything less they are wasting digital capacity and overcharging me. If a band can't record 80 minutes of stuff, it should wait until they can get their act together.

I never thought of it like that before Surprised Very good point. Although I would add that its more about what's there than what's not there which makes a good album. Or is it...? Rolling Eyes That has got me thinking
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2010 15:08
  • Post subject:
[quote="an_outlaw"]
RFNAPLES wrote:
Give me 60 to 80 minutes on a CD since they can store 80 minutes of uncompressed audio (700 MB of data). Anything less they are wasting digital capacity and overcharging me. If a band can't record 80 minutes of stuff, it should wait until they can get their act together.

I dunno. I know that we're all tempted to get the best "bang-for-our-buck", but if every artist focused on quantity, album quality would face a steep drop. It'd be like going to Old Country Buffet every day.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2010 15:40
  • Post subject:
[quote="Applerill"]
an_outlaw wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:

I dunno. I know that we're all tempted to get the best "bang-for-our-buck", but if every artist focused on quantity, album quality would face a steep drop. It'd be like going to Old Country Buffet every day.

Or like buying a car with only three wheels because they didn't have time or ability to put 4 good ones on it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 04/06/2010 15:41
  • Post subject:
Freddie55 wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Give me 60 to 80 minutes on a CD since they can store 80 minutes of uncompressed audio (700 MB of data).
CDs are done. They're joining their ancestors, the eight-tracks and cassettes. Didn't you get the memo? Seriously, don't waste your time and money on physical media. It will be unusable in less than 5 years. And don't tell me it's because they offer better quality sound. Beta was better than VHS!

There is currently an apathy epidemic in music. If you remove the physical format it's only going to make it worst. Rather than a return to "grass roots" (such a vague term) you will get 100,000 artists who write about break ups and going to the pub, all claiming they are "a band for the people". Each one getting up on stage standing still, playing their instruments, all dressing like "normal guys". Same songs, same chords, no melody. Any artist who's goes against the trend and says they would like a return to paid formats will be called "b******t" upon by 10 artists in succession, each of which has their own line of £120 pairs of denim jeans which took £2 a pair to make.

No artwork or sleeve notes on most of the albums. Some will albums will have them in digital format but most people won't see them because they only wanted to download the songs. Not to listen. Just to prove how "indie" they are that they know the "The Flying Red Wellingtons", the music worn with their red berets, jackets with ironic logos and catchphrases from 30 year old tv shows and a t-shirt with a mass murderer wearing that hat with a star. Who was he? Rolling Eyes What band did he play??? Confused I think he's Syd Barrett dude... y'know that mexican dude who fought against the capitalists or something

And this Bob Lefsetz guy comes across as another person pointing their gun at the music artists saying "Give us your music for free or I won't listen to us... and say you like it too otherwise I'll call it mainstream and terrible"

Wow... Rolling Eyes I wrote all that Razz
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2010 15:46
  • Post subject:
Freddie55 wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Freddie55 wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:

Yeah moron bitch boy is what Gene Simmons (moron) and Kid Rock (bitch boy) called Lefsetz.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 04/06/2010 15:48
  • Post subject:
[quote="RFNAPLES"]
Applerill wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:

Or like buying a car with only three wheels because they didn't have time or ability to put 4 good ones on it.

Yes but I do think when some people see 18 tracks on an album alarm bells start ringing in their head saying "18 TRACKS! 18 TRACKS! FILLER IS ON THIS!!". And because the competition is so fierce to gain the title of best track on the album in these circumstances, some are going to inevitably called filler. You do have a point about quality but that can be sorted with a little more time to write the album

So I'll stand by Rfnaples. I prefer longer albums
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2010 16:08
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
There is currently an apathy epidemic in music. If you remove the physical format it's only going to make it worst. Rather than a return to "grass roots" (such a vague term) you will get 100,000 artists who write about break ups and going to the pub, all claiming they are "a band for the people". Each one getting up on stage standing still, playing their instruments, all dressing like "normal guys". Same songs, same chords, no melody. Any artist who's goes against the trend and says they would like a return to paid formats will be called "b******t" upon by 10 artists in succession, each of which has their own line of £120 pairs of denim jeans which took £2 a pair to make.

No artwork or sleeve notes on most of the albums. Some will albums will have them in digital format but most people won't see them because they only wanted to download the songs. Not to listen. Just to prove how "indie" they are that they know the "The Flying Red Wellingtons", the music worn with their red berets, jackets with ironic logos and catchphrases from 30 year old tv shows and a t-shirt with a mass murderer wearing that hat with a star. Who was he? Rolling Eyes What band did he play??? Confused I think he's Syd Barrett dude... y'know that mexican dude who fought against the capitalists or something

And this Bob Lefsetz guy comes across as another person pointing their gun at the music artists saying "Give us your music for free or I won't listen to us... and say you like it too otherwise I'll call it mainstream and terrible"

Wow... Rolling Eyes I wrote all that Razz

Great post! I'm not a Lefsetz disciple and I certainly disagree with him on lots of things. That said, all he really wants is good music (and he is a champion at pushing for the artists to get paid more) .... just like you and me. He rails against the current way that music is produced and distributed by labels because it is not about quality and it doesn't serve the artists or us in its current form. I get almost all of my mail, news, movies, TV programs and music on the internet now. I still demand quality but I want it fast or in real time and I want it available when I want it, wherever I am. Also, I am not an Apple disciple but they definitely know where things are at and going. Look at the iPod, iPhone, iTouch and iPad. These devices don't have CD players or even USB ports in them.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2010 16:27
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Freddie55 wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Freddie55 wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:

Yeah moron bitch boy is what Gene Simmons (moron) and Kid Rock (bitch boy) called Lefsetz.

You're entitled to your opinion. Do you really respect what Gene Simmons has to say? Shocked Frankly, I don't put any creed in what he has to say about anything because he is a carny who provokes everyone and everything to sell his product. Kid Rock is a contributor on Lefsetz' blog. He might call him a bitch boy but he still reads the Lefsetz Letter.

Last edited by Freddie55 on 04/06/2010 16:29; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website