Emo Bands: I need your help!

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/08/2013 00:35
  • Post subject: Emo Bands: I need your help!
Lately, my friends won't shut up about emo bands. (ex. Pierce the Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, of Mice & Men, etc.) They are, to put it nicely, just plain awful. I've tried to enlighten them and show them great artists like Neutral Milk Hotel, The Smiths, and The Velvet Underground. Unfortunately, they've hated them all. Every day, they just stick in my face how much they love these bands. It is really getting on my nerves. I was wondering if you guys could help me point them in the right direction, or even just get them to stop obsessing over these bands. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Silver

• Posted: 11/08/2013 00:57
  • Post subject:
Maybe show them some classic midwest emo like American Football? I don't know, try some Sunny Day Real Estate or something, Jawbreaker, that sort of stuff. Maybe Pinkerton at least, or The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die. There's a lot of good emo bands, just need to look into the scene a bit. Also I find the use of the word enlighten really funny here.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/08/2013 01:02
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
Maybe show them some classic midwest emo like American Football? I don't know, try some Sunny Day Real Estate or something, Jawbreaker, that sort of stuff. Maybe Pinkerton at least, or The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die. There's a lot of good emo bands, just need to look into the scene a bit. Also I find the use of the word enlighten really funny here.

I was already thinking about showing them Sunny Day Real Estate. I should probably check the others out myself.
nutso42

• Posted: 11/08/2013 01:08
  • Post subject:
I think muzzles are pretty cheap at any pet store.
cattlest

• Posted: 11/08/2013 01:09
  • Post subject:
i like sunny day realestate, and i know when they came out the term emo stuck to them. By today's criteria of emo, it sounds nothing like sunnyday real estate. emo meant something else in the 90's.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/08/2013 01:11
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
I think muzzles are pretty cheap at any pet store.

Yes, I have a vast collection of muzzles. Not for dogs, mind you, but so I can do some pretty suggestive things to myself with them.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/08/2013 01:16
  • Post subject:
cattlest wrote:
i like sunny day realestate, and i know when they came out the term emo stuck to them. By today's criteria of emo, it sounds nothing like sunnyday real estate. emo meant something else in the 90's.

Yes, I already know this, but I really just want to fit in and have at least one thing in common with them. The worst part is they act all arrogant about it too. They think they're better than everyone else in my school that listens to bubblegum pop. Whereas I'm just like, "Uh...um...yeah...uh...you guys should like...um...check out this band that I like...uh and...yeah..."
cattlest

• Posted: 11/08/2013 01:23
  • Post subject:
sounds like you have a more refined taste than most of the people your age. i don't really have any useful advice to converting your friends though, that wouldn't involve illicit drug use. maybe start slow with some nirvana (nevermind) or nine inch nails (downward spiral), or something else angsty that's not as annoying as whatever they currently listen to.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/08/2013 01:27
  • Post subject:
cattlest wrote:
sounds like you have a more refined taste than most of the people your age. i don't really have any useful advice to converting your friends though, that wouldn't involve illicit drug use. maybe start slow with some nirvana (nevermind) or nine inch nails (downward spiral), or something else angsty that's not as annoying as whatever they currently listen to.

I tried Modest Mouse a while ago and thought it would work like a charm. It didn't. One day, I hope that they'll just have an epiphany.

Last edited by Goodsir on 11/08/2013 01:48; edited 1 time in total
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2013 01:36
  • Post subject:
give it time. this fad will pass. I had to deal with my friends being into Nü Metal when that fad came through. It was really difficult, but eventually the fad died.
  • Visit poster's website