why do you listen to music?

View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 04/13/2010 05:10
  • Post subject: why do you listen to music?
why do you listen to music? for dancing, for drinking, for fucking, for unknown cognitive aesthetics, etc?
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2010 10:42
  • Post subject:
You need a reason? Shocked

Wink
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/13/2010 11:27
  • Post subject:
music is, for me, quite a personal thing.. i don't really enjoy going to concerts, discos or even listening with friends (always struggle to find common ground).. i don't think i've ever had sex to music, or set about to have a drinking session to music.. the only things i 'use' music for are a) running and b) calming myself down.. i'll run to anything uptempo and cool myself on ambient or classical stuff

other than that, it's all about my inner world.. when i hear music it seems to stimulate my imagination and i create all kinds of worlds within my head.. even when running, i'm always somewhere else mentally..
Richie Hunt

• Posted: 04/13/2010 12:26
  • Post subject:
to learn a bit about the subject so when i'm asked the billion dollar question on who wants to be a slum dog i'll have the answer
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/02/2011 00:12
  • Post subject:
When I first got into music when I was a kid It was mostly about the lyrics.Songs would take me into other worlds with their words.Just about everything that came on the radio was a good song to me.As I started learning more about the inner structure of music & I started learning how to play instruments music for me became more about the playing of the instruments.for example I really didn't care for instance what the Hell Geddy Lee was singing about I was focused on how well he was playing the bass & how incredible Neil Peart was on the drums.I just enjoy the sound of a snare drum when it has just that right sound to it.Or the awe I'm in when I listen to a great sounding bass line like John Entwistle's on the Who song The Real me.I listen to music to hear things like Rick Wakeman's keyboard playing on the Yes song Close To The Edge.It's like why people watch movies.Some just want to see special effects & things blowing up or watch a movie because they want to laugh.Then there are the people who go deeper into how the lighting is & how good the acting in the movie is.I listen to music now more as an art form and enjoy how it's made.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/02/2011 06:15
  • Post subject:
To inspire
To relax
To learn

I listen to music everyday and any moment I get to discover new music, I will. Since getting a discman back in high school, I realised that music made me who I am. Especially when I started acting and scriptwriting, I used music as a tool to motivate me or to spark imagination.

Now as a teacher, I use it as a learning tool in classroom and also personally for relaxation and escape.
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 01/04/2011 21:57
  • Post subject:
Mostly it entertains me. I thought it could help me out on relationships (such as talking about coldplay), but i didn't work out. So now it's for exercise and entertainment.