A little bit of a random question

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 04/23/2010 14:39
  • Post subject: A little bit of a random question
This may sound like a random question but has a band ever came to fame through a book?

For example: an artist/band goes about and does what they do (record albums and singles, play shows, promotions etc). They do this for say 5-10 years and then split up. They released a few albums, non critically acclaimed, none making a big impression on the charts but sold some copies at least. Maybe a small devoted fan base.

A decade passes by. Then one day somebody decides to write a story about them. Perhaps the lead singer. He writes a semi-autobiographical/novel based on the bands time together. It turns out to be well written and an exciting read. It eventually becomes a best seller getting many great book reviews. Some people think it's fictional to begin with but then quickly realize it's based on a true story and the songs/albums actually existed! Interest builds in the music and it gets reissued, selling fairly(not chart topping well but good none the less). Some arty music reviewers give one of the albums rave reviews. A director begins to even consider making a film on it. A song of theirs then gets on the top 40. The lead singer trys to get the band to reform...

So my question is: Has anything similar to this ever happened?
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2010 14:59
  • Post subject:
haha.. not that i know of, but in these days of people coming to prominence on social networking websites and tv variety shows then it's not altogether inconceivable. perhaps it would be a good idea for a novel in itself?

having said that, i've never heard a truly awesome song go by totally unnoticed. by that i mean i've never heard a great song by an obscure artist, so it would seem unlikely..
Gooserocker

• Posted: 04/23/2010 15:36
  • Post subject:

Link

I haven't seen this, but it's supposed to be excellent
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2010 15:47
  • Post subject:
I thought of Anvil too, but that's more of a story about a band that never really was that great, a bit of real life Spinal Tap.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 04/23/2010 20:22
  • Post subject:
Yeah, Anvil came to mind, but this was through documentary. Another band that saw some more fame through a documentary was the Brian Jonestown Massacre; the Dandy Warhols were relatively popular, filmed this documentary about their relationship with BJM, and everyone realised that the BJM was pretty amazing for having never been heard of; now they're relatively popular