Recommendation Drop Box on Chart Pages

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 11/15/2013 21:25
  • Post subject: Recommendation Drop Box on Chart Pages
My site suggestion:

A place where users can drop recs to each other without having to make a comment about it. It's use is to have an organized and easy way to both give recs and check on recs that have been given to you. Have it be a section separate from comments and ratings and such, but below the chart itself.

I think this is the way it should look… have there be four columns:

- First column, a miniaturized version of the album cover appears with the title in blue text (as a link to the album page).
- Second column, the name of the user who is giving the rec.
- Third column, an OPTIONAL place for a comment by the giver of the rec (to add details about the album if they want, perhaps with limited characters to keep a cleaned, evenly spaced look).
- Fourth column, an empty square. The square will have a checkmark through it when the receiver of the rec adds the album as "listened".

To add something extra to it (as maybe a way to encourage people to give recs), mod points are given to both the giver and the receiver of the rec once the album has been added as "listened". Although this could possibly be abused with some teamwork between two people, it is something that could easily be noticed by other members anyway because the drop box shows the names of the giver of the rec (so people will notice if that rec is suspiciously always given by the same person).

• Posted: 11/15/2013 21:29
  • Post subject:
This idea is genius.

• Posted: 11/15/2013 21:32
  • Post subject:
I like this.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/15/2013 23:08
  • Post subject:
I would use this often, would be useful to me and clearly others.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/15/2013 23:21
  • Post subject:
Two more things:

1. Recs are automatically rejected (or just non-able to submit) if the receiver had already added the album as "listened" prior to that rec being submitted.

2. If the drop box also appears in decade and year charts, then obviously the only recs that can be given are for that specific decade or year (like an 80s chart can only be given a rec from an album released in the 80s).
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/16/2013 02:12
  • Post subject:
I love this. Also the option to make the rec private would be pretty cool.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2013 02:15
  • Post subject:
Kind of love this idea.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/16/2013 09:10
  • Post subject:
I've been thinking of this for a while too but not had time to do anything. I like the general idea of recommendations. I suppose there also needs to be some way of a user providing feedback once they've checked the album out (or it could be a group of people if the rec has been to multiple people).

This then brings up the issue of how to leave a rec and who the rec would be for. Do we allow people to leave a rec for more than one person, or people at large? The danger with the second option is that people rec Justin Bieber to everybody and your inbox fills up with crud from trolls, so recs would probably need to be between two or more individuals. I also don't think points should be awarded for recs as I think that could just lead to a lot of misuse (spamming other people with recs that they don't want etc).

The way I'd originally envisaged this was having a separate recommendations tab where a list of rec's would appear from other people (personally, I think recs should be listed separately from charts as charts are cluttered enough as it is & they don't really 'belong' to a chart I don't think), and also recs could be more free-form without having to be tied to a year or decade etc. I'm in favour of doing something with this, but it's important to work out the right mechanism before anything is implemented and the devil is always in the detail.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 11/16/2013 09:36
  • Post subject:
To combat trolling could moderators be put in charge of what goes into the dropbox and who puts it in?
There's no need for points to be given out either, that should save people from exploiting it to a certain extent.

Love the overall idea by the way.

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/16/2013 10:16
  • Post subject:
I don't think we need mods to check every rec, but users should have the option to block recs from certain users, or to block recs in general.