What Classifies a Genre or Sub-Genre?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:10
  • Post subject: What Classifies a Genre or Sub-Genre?
JMan recently made a thread about the genres we've heard the most albums from. We got a little off-topic when we started talking about whether or not metal was a genre of its own, or just a sub-genre of rock. So, I wanted to ask you guys: What classifies a genre? Are there very specific characteristics? How does a sub-genre get created? Share your thoughts.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:15
  • Post subject:
I think metal started as a sub-genre of rock but has now become its own thing. Genesis you brought up a point about how a specific metal band and a specific rock band can't really be put under the same umbrella, but I'd make the same argument about two bands that are called metal.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:19
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I think metal started as a sub-genre of rock but has now become its own thing. Genesis you brought up a point about how a specific metal band and a specific rock band can't really be put under the same umbrella, but I'd make the same argument about two bands that are called metal.

What are the two bands that you wanted to mention?
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:24
  • Post subject:
Oh I don't have one I'm just arguing that even though it is true that it is inaccurate to put a rock band and a metal band under the same umbrella, there are metal bands that don't really fit together either. So if you separate rock and metal as genres, then by that logic you'd have to separate metal into different genres, not sub-genres. Rock and metal can still be different genres, but I'm just not buying the logic that the reason for them being different genres based on the fact that Foo Fighters and Blut Aus Nord sound very different.

And sorry for saying it was you who said it. I just saw that it was Brandon Razz
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:27
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
Oh I don't have one I'm just arguing that even though it is true that it is inaccurate to put a rock band and a metal band under the same umbrella, there are metal bands that don't really fit together either. So if you separate rock and metal as genres, then by that logic you'd have to separate metal into different genres, not sub-genres. Rock and metal can still be different genres, but I'm just not buying the logic that the reason for them being different genres based on the fact that Foo Fighters and Blut Aus Nord sound very different.

And sorry for saying it was you who said it. I just saw that it was Brandon Razz

Alright, that's good to know, because, at first, I had no idea what you were talking about. I'll have to take a look at Brandon's post. Laughing

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:28
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:

Twas!
Anyways...what exactly is rock music? Like, what are its parameters, what defines it?
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:30
  • Post subject:
Genres, sub-genres, blah blah blah. who gives a fuck? Most of the most interesting music released breaks the narrow confines of a singular genre or subgenre. The origins of metal exist under the larger umbrella of rock, but then there's something like black metal that straddles between the larger umbrellas of rock and classical.

People generally picture genres and subgenres as trees, branching out further and further into their own individual things, but that's not how it works. they're constantly mixing, and growing more and more complicated
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:32
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Genres, sub-genres, blah blah blah. who gives a fuck? Most of the most interesting music released breaks the narrow confines of a singular genre or subgenre. The origins of metal exist under the larger umbrella of rock, but then there's something like black metal that straddles between the larger umbrellas of rock and classical.

People generally picture genres and subgenres as trees, branching out further and further into their own individual things, but that's not how it works. they're constantly mixing, and growing more and more complicated

meccalecca
Voice of Reason
JMan

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:35
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:

There's a fine line between what one would call hard rock and what one would call heavy metal. Everyone has a different opinion about where that line lies. Some would even call AC/DC metal which IMO, is far off. Based on my experiences, I'd say the fine line between heavy metal lies between (using albums as examples) Paranoid by BS which is considered a heavy metal pioneer, and Sting in the Tail by Scorpions which is a little less heavy.

In a sense, metal is a subgenre. Rock pioneered hundreds of different kinds of rock, including symphonic, metal, prog, grunge, and glam, and many more. They are all still thought of as "rock" bands, and rock is the root of it all. One could argue that by my logic and usage of "root," rock is a sub-genre of blues. That's different. Blues helped pioneer rock, yes. But can one say that glam rock is anything similar to blues? No. I can say that heavy metal is similar to rock. But it's plain that blues did play a major part in the creation of the hard rock and metal we know. Led Zeppelin's debut = great example.

Of course, there are many kinds of metal that I wouldn't say are similar to rock bands. Metal has pioneered a lot of different kinds of metal thanks to age. However, I wouldn't consider "age" as a category to determine which of the two metal is. I guess it's really based upon influence and change. How many new kinds of music have come out because of this one genre? In that sense, I could say that metal is a genre now. Really, I'm not sure. In different ways, it is and it isn't.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:38
  • Post subject:
someone please explain to me what genre this is...

Link
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website