Will genres be in the site soon?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
JMan

• Posted: 12/09/2013 23:08
  • Post subject: Will genres be in the site soon?
Quote:
I vaguely remember a post about genres from a while ago. Did that ever happen?

I feel like it wouldn't be difficult to implement, certainly for the popular albums. You could have people give the genre of albums on their chart, which would cover, in theory, all albums (save those users who are inactive).

After, say, 10 album genres "agree" for one album, it can be set to be that, and people won't be asked about it anymore. This prevents people with a hundred albums from having to identify lots of albums (although my guess is that some may not mind, even like doing it).

Once these are in place, new lists can be made, such as "best rock", "best rap", etc...

I would very much like this. In the thread, AM stated that the add-on would be made in2012. Will it come soon?
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 12/09/2013 23:32
  • Post subject:
Courtesy of ... this thread.

Quote:
There is a plan to introduce genre tagging across the site as a means of classification, but I think that will be as far it goes. It was debated at one stage to have 'genre' charts, but I think for reasons discussed before, & outlined by martintho, it might not work well for everybody & custom charts fulfil this function fairly well at the moment without placing restrictions on people's different ideas of what albums should (or shouldn't) be in each genre.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 12/10/2013 00:01
  • Post subject:
Crapbaskets. I thought that "muic type" thread meant like "Live" and "compilation" and "bootleg", and not genre.

Link
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/11/2013 09:00
  • Post subject:
ShaneSpear wrote:
Courtesy of ... this thread.

Quote:
There is a plan to introduce genre tagging across the site as a means of classification, but I think that will be as far it goes. It was debated at one stage to have 'genre' charts, but I think for reasons discussed before, & outlined by martintho, it might not work well for everybody & custom charts fulfil this function fairly well at the moment without placing restrictions on people's different ideas of what albums should (or shouldn't) be in each genre.

To add to this, to develop genre classification or tagging (& aggregated charts) will take a few months of work and there's so many other things on BEA that could be accomplished within the same time-frame, which is why it keeps getting pushed back. It's always a trade-off choosing which features to develop first, and I just wish I had more time or an extra pair of hands sometimes.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2013 18:06
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
To add to this, to develop genre classification or tagging (& aggregated charts) will take a few months of work and there's so many other things on BEA that could be accomplished within the same time-frame, which is why it keeps getting pushed back. It's always a trade-off choosing which features to develop first, and I just wish I had more time or an extra pair of hands sometimes.

Im wondering if maybe the genre tag is something we could help out with. Possibly data moderators or something. Itll still take a while to get a solid system in place, but Im sure people wouldnt be averse to the actual adding of genres to bands/albums across the site. And I think we could get enough people to handle disputes on whether a certain album is or isnt a specific genre.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 12/11/2013 18:08
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Im wondering if maybe the genre tag is something we could help out with. Possibly data moderators or something. Itll still take a while to get a solid system in place, but Im sure people wouldnt be averse to the actual adding of genres to bands/albums across the site. And I think we could get enough people to handle disputes on whether a certain album is or isnt a specific genre.

Read the first post's quote. I like the "charts agree on a genre" idea.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2013 18:18
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Read the first post's quote. I like the "charts agree on a genre" idea.

I would think we would need a committed group rather than just a free for all. Ideally everyone would have input, but limiting it at the beginning would make it easier to lay the groundwork.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2013 18:33
  • Post subject:
I still think this genre thing is going to be a fiasco. Some...most albums have multiple genres. What will be the recognized source? What if an album like, say, Graceland, is labeled as Folk. Paul Simon has been, during his career, a folk artist. But Graceland is absolutely not a folk album, even though there are those here who do consider it to be because of who Simon is.

Will there be an ability to assign multiple genres? Who gets the ultimate last word (or what is the definitive source) in case of disputes? Do we really want to be covering multiple genre disputes on the site? How do you classify an album like Trout Mask Replica, for example...an album that lists 6 different genres on its Wiki page alone...not counting the parent genres and the possible subgenres it could fall into.

This is just my opinion...but I do think that genre tagging would be the beginning of over complicating things around here. I think it would create a lot more work. And I think that people have, already at their disposal, enough ways to help them to put their music into categories. I'd be willing to bet that most of the people who would use this site already have enough of an idea of what genre an artist or album should reside in.

Data moderation has not been exactly flowing lately, either. Album tracks have just been caught up today after having been running at least 24 hours behind for some time. And the backlog in the artist moderations were just recently caught up from June. Do we really need to add yet another category to that?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2013 19:50
  • Post subject:
Yeahh I totally get how this would be a giant and potentially messy project. I think there is a great benefit of being able to filter the charts through genre tags though. It's pretty much impossible to look through the overall charts for anything and I know for a lot of people they dont even bother to look at them anymore. I know custom charts are great for this, but not everyone has the ability/desire to make them, and having a general genre tag (if we limit the amount of sub genres or genres per album) will make it easier to discover albums we want to discover.

I realize that this is going to take a massive amount of time and effort, and I havent been the most active member recently (that should change next year) but I would like to see it. That being said, Id understand if it was too much of an undertaking and I wouldnt want AM to have to do a crazy amount of work just because i want something Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/11/2013 23:08
  • Post subject:
I'd probably end up voicing complaints a lot about genres. For instance, "experimental" is not a genre - the act of creating a new song is always an experiment. "Avant-garde" is not a genre - it's an opinion about the music. "African music" is not a genre - it's the location of which the music came from. "World music" is not a genre - all human music comes from Earth (well, maybe there are some astronauts making music or something...).

I think, before adding the option to tag genres on albums (or however this will work, if this is ever done), I think we need to plan carefully how we are going to about this.

IMO, genres work in trees. At the top of the tree is "music", obviously, all music is music. Just below it...? Maybe "pop", "classical", "traditional", "ambient", etc... Below that... say, below "pop" could be "rock", "hip hop", "electronic pop", etc. Below "rock" could be "punk", "noise rock", "prog rock", etc.

The problem here does lie that all this genre stuff is opinion-based, whereas the other parts of album info are based in fact (like year, cover art, track listing). So I suppose it would have to be a voting system, but often times the majority can be wrong about the genre - for instance, anglos on RYM have a tendency to add the wrong genre for "foreign" albums, and add ridiculously tedious genres like "Brazilian Music" or "African Music".

I'm extra tired today so I'm probably not very coherent right now.