Casablanca
48%
 48%  [21]
Total Votes : 43

thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 06/06/2010 03:05
  • Post subject: Citizen Kane vs Casablanca
I know this is a movie question, and I know this is a music site. However my passion for movies and music is pretty much 50/50 and I am yet to find a Movie site the equivalent of this.

So this question is mainly to those who are fairly passionate about movies, and I suppose anyone else interested in the question.

Now these two movies have gone up against each other as the two of the three greatest movies ever made (the third being "The Godfather" which I love)

Just last week I hired the Citizen Kane and Casablanca as I had never watched either before and heard only immaculate things about both. After watching however i had very contrasting opinions on both movies. Originally thinking that Citizen Kane was goign to be the superior film, I felt it didnt put a scratch on Casablanca, I saw Casablanca as relevant and interesting, funny and often deep simultaneously. And I found Citizen Kane to be a self involved bore (Regardless of Welles' performance, which was really good) I thought the story was transparent and one note, and the whole time I was watching it I wasnt being sucked in the story, I was just waiting to find out what Rosebud ment, I didnt care about what happened to the characters or anything.

Basically my question is (and it may come as obvious) Is there something I missed?
Cryptozoologist

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2010 03:13
  • Post subject:
Citizen Kane is probably in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, so that.

Also, why the hell is this in the Music forum? Shouldn't it be in the Lounge?
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2010 03:17
  • Post subject:
This should be in the lounge, but Casablanca may very well be the greatest movie ever made. I too found Citizen Kane a bit of a bore.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2010 04:16
  • Post subject:
They're both great, but Citizen Kane is slightly better if only for the cinematography, which was revolutionary at the time.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 06/06/2010 07:13
  • Post subject:
citizen Kane seems to be the most acclaimed movie of all times but i found it a little bit borring. for today viewers Casablanca has really nothing special ... but i found it at least more entertaining. old cinema sucks so much ! Confused
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 06/06/2010 08:01
  • Post subject:
Yeah I realised it should be in the lounge, Epic fail on my part! .. I dont know if Old cinema sucks, there's alot to like about it, just to see how it all started. But yeah thats pretty much my view of citizen kane in a nut shell, just boring!
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2010 12:42
  • Post subject:
cartoken wrote:
old cinema sucks so much ! :?

I believe you are mistaken. The focus tends to be much more on the story-telling in old cinema, and less on fast pace and effects, which often leads to both more compelling and more entertaining movies than what is being pushed out today. Most of my favorite movies are pretty old and include: Casablanca, The African Queen, To Kill a Mockingbird, 12 Angry Men, Bad Day at Black Rock, all from the 40s and 50s. There's a lot of stuff back there that still holds up very well.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2010 13:01
  • Post subject:
Try these 1940s movies:

All the King's Men (1949) [Must See]
    Citizen Kane (1941) [Must See]
    Gentleman's Agreement (1947) [Must See]
    Going My Way (1944) [Must See]
    In Which We Serve (1942) [Must See]
    The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) [Must See]
    The Grapes of Wrath (1940) [Must See]
    The Lost Weekend (1945) [Must See]
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) [Must See]

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 06/06/2010 14:27
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
cartoken wrote:
old cinema sucks so much ! Confused

I believe you are mistaken. The focus tends to be much more on the story-telling in old cinema, and less on fast pace and effects, which often leads to both more compelling and more entertaining movies than what is being pushed out today. Most of my favorite movies are pretty old and include: Casablanca, The African Queen, To Kill a Mockingbird, 12 Angry Men, Bad Day at Black Rock, all from the 40s and 50s. There's a lot of stuff back there that still holds up very well.

It depends which cinema you're talking about, of course Hollywood blockbusters are mostly entertaining but you have a lot of independent movies (or even some Hollywood movies) which are excellent "story-telling". and movies are not about only the story in that case read a book ! directing, cinematography, special effects ... etc are fondamental, and i believe that like knowledge, is a stock which is cumulated with years. so may be Citizen Kane was revolutinary at its time but now it's quite borring ! it's even a quite mediocre movie comparing to Mulholland Dr., Requiem for a Dream, The Shawshank Redemption, The Virgin Suicides, Fargo to name few recent movies.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 06/07/2010 14:14
  • Post subject:
Yeah fargo is a really good movie, it's in my top 10 for sure. I definitely don't mind movies that have explosions, special effects etc. like the new batman movies and Ironman, but you can only get so much out of these movies. Apocalypse Now has to be one of the most effective War movies of all time and it had no special effects to speak of, It wasn't even that violent, it just had an amazing story with excellent camera work (the acting was probably a little off) This kind of story telling that will never die IMO

Not many moves with special effects really last the test of time anyway. Yeah they make shit loads of money but no one remembers them. Exceptions to this rule would be The Lord of The Rings and the Terminator/2. There may be a couple of others, But in all Honesty I don't think anyone is really going to remember Transformers in the next 10 - 15 years