Favourite Artist [Both right now and all time]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
quincytejani

• Posted: 02/20/2014 19:23
  • Post subject: Favourite Artist [Both right now and all time]
Hey Everyone! I know that this site focus's mostly on the ranking of albums and our charts reflect our favourite albums of all time. However, it is possible and in many cases true that the number one album on our chart does not come from our favourite musical artist of all time. Therefore, I would just like to hear from you about who your top 2-3 favourite artists are and also who your favourite artist is right now!

For example.

My favourite Artists of all time are: Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Arcade Fire, Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan.

My favourite artists right now are: The Doors, Animal Collective, The Pixies and Joy Division.

Thanks and happy listening!
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/20/2014 19:34
  • Post subject:
List of favorite ever artists I have had:

2005 - 2006 Gorillaz
2006 - 2007 Fall Out Boy
2007 - MAAAAAAANIC STREEEEEEET PREEEEEACHERS

List of all time favorite artists:

Manic Street Preachers, Kate Bush, Rush, Dead Kennedys, Bruce Springsteen, Sparks, Stiff Little Fingers, R.E.M., Scott Walker, Gorillaz

List of favorite artists right now:

Manic Street Preachers, Against Me!, Sparks, Frank Turner, Robbie Williams, Lily Allen, Brian Eno, Hammock, Editors
Silver

• Posted: 02/20/2014 19:40
  • Post subject:
A few months ago it was The Antlers for all time. Now it's Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon for all time, and right now. Also a lot of Smiths recently.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2014 19:45
  • Post subject:
All-time is incredibly hard to choose. I've always said Led Zeppelin as a kind of default. Metallica and Black Sabbath are up there too though.

Right now? Umm Kate Bush I've really been digging lately but these kinds of phases happen all the time.
Jasperjames

Australia

• Posted: 02/20/2014 19:48
  • Post subject: You can't go wrong with Kate bush
Every true music fan whorls understand and liane to Kate bush. The kick inside, a sensual world , and the whole story are good introductions . She has had so much influence on female and British music
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 02/20/2014 19:55
  • Post subject:
Radiohead for all time. I know obvious and predictable and I'll get off this site now. EDIT: Also Blur and Sigur Rós and MBV.
As for right now, between Bjork and Red House Painters. EDIT: also Animal Collective.

Last edited by HazeyTwilight on 02/20/2014 21:14; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/20/2014 19:56
  • Post subject: Re: You can't go wrong with Kate bush
Jasperjames wrote:
Every true music fan whorls understand and liane to Kate bush. The kick inside, a sensual world , and the whole story are good introductions . She has had so much influence on female and British music

Here here...

First 3 albums by Kate Bush I had. Cool
joyofdivision

• Posted: 02/20/2014 19:58
  • Post subject:
My favourite right now would be Beach House by a long shot. All time, I'd probably go with either Elliott Smith or Aphex Twin.

• Posted: 02/20/2014 20:06
  • Post subject:
Of all-time: Wu-Tang (and Ghostface in particular), Bob Dylan, The Flaming Lips, Curtis Mayfield (and The Impressions by extension), Prince, Jay-Z, The Fall, Gregory Isaacs, Belle & Sebastian, Burial, Orange Juice, Erykah Badu, Blu, The Grateful Dead, UGK, The Smiths, The Libertines, Sizzla, etc.

Right now: Beyonce, Mark Kozelek, Oneohtrix Point Never, Mac DeMarco, Shackleton, Four Tet, Sarah Vaughan, Dam-Funk, Connan Mockasin, etc.

EDIT: Just saw this...

quincytejani wrote:
Therefore, I would just like to hear from you about who your top 2-3 favourite artists are and also who your favourite artist is right now!

So it's...

Of all-time: Wu-Tang (and Ghostface in particular), Bob Dylan, The Flaming Lips.

Right now: Mark Kozelek, Beyonce.

Last edited by Guest on 02/20/2014 20:16; edited 1 time in total

• Posted: 02/20/2014 20:08
  • Post subject:
I've never been able to answer this easily. Grimes and Vashti Bunyan are a good default, I love them both dearly. The Motifs probably. Probably not Giles Corey, that would imply a love of Have A Nice Life, which isn't there (not to say I don't like it, I just don't love it). The stuff Low has done outside of I Could Live in Hope hasn't charmed me as much. Karin Dreijer Andersson is a good candidate seeing as how Fever Ray is an all time favourite and I'm very fond of The Knife. Joanna Newsom is cool. Jacaszek too. Bikini Kill is a possibility. Regina Spektor, even. See, a tough question.