21%  [9]
Total Votes : 41

MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2014 23:41
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
I hear that a lot. Yes, Dylan is a big influence. But his songwriting style, guitar style and even vocal style is actually totally different.

The closest thing I can think is in the voice. Got that. But as a guitarist he is very different, and more technical than Dylan. Lyrically Dylan is more linear (generally) than TMOE. Mattson is more abstract.

It's like... I hear the Dylan, buuuuut I hear a lot of other influences too and I also hear a lot of his own style. Maybe if Dylan had a more intense voice, a more subtle and intricate guitar style and basically paired some of the aspects of his '63 style austere folk style with his '66 style abstract poetic stuff, you would get Tallest Man On Earth. Idk. Just an idea.

I really want to enjoy him, but whenever I try to listen to one of his records, by 15 minutes in I just think "I would much rather be listening to Freewheelin or Another Side of right now". Also, theres those times when his accent comes through in the music, which just makes makes me think "That's weird, oh wait, this isn't Dylan". He's an artist I respect, but just can't find enjoyment in listening to.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2014 23:55
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
I really want to enjoy him, but whenever I try to listen to one of his records, by 15 minutes in I just think "I would much rather be listening to Freewheelin or Another Side of right now". Also, theres those times when his accent comes through in the music, which just makes makes me think "That's weird, oh wait, this isn't Dylan". He's an artist I respect, but just can't find enjoyment in listening to.

I'm all broken inside.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 02/25/2014 00:11
  • Post subject:
Dingerbell wrote:
Sorry Mercury.

This, gotta go Smith.

If it's any consolation though Mercury, you're solely responsible for convincing me to listen to The Tallest Man On Earth and I do enjoy giving his stuff a spin now and then, very tough matchup unfortunately.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2014 00:16
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
This, gotta go Smith.

If it's any consolation though Mercury, you're solely responsible for convincing me to listen to The Tallest Man On Earth and I do enjoy giving his stuff a spin now and then, very tough matchup unfortunately.

This made me happy.

Yeah, Elliott is one of maybe 5 nominees that I could support the whole way through. He's brill.

• Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 02/25/2014 00:37
  • Post subject:
The only decent similarity I can see between Dylan and TTMOE is the voice, really, and even then, it's not than close. They just have powerful, raw foly voices, that's all. The guitar playing, production style, lyrics, whatever, are nowhere near the same IMO. I think Elliott Smith has much more similarities with Nick Drake than TTMOE with Dylan, for example. Ah well, I love all four to death to be honest, so why not.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2014 00:43
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Sorry, I just can't listen to Tallest Man on Earth without thinking he's just a poor Bob Dylan impersonator who lacks the songwriting ability.

Honestly, not a Dylan fan but I like Tallest Man. It's the Dylan-y-er moments that bug me a bit.

That said, either way, Elliott Smith. I'd never actually heard an album of his before joining this site, but I'm sooooooo glad I finally gave him a shot. Thanks BEA!

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2014 00:48
  • Post subject:
[quote="drakonium"]The only decent similarity I can see between Dylan and TTMOE is the voice, really, and even then, it's not than close. They just have powerful, raw foly voices, that's all. The guitar playing, production style, lyrics, whatever, are nowhere near the same IMO. I think Elliott Smith has much more similarities with Nick Drake than TTMOE with Dylan, for example. Ah well, I love all four to death to be honest, so why not.[/quote]

You're my soul brother!

And the bold part I agree on quite a bit.

All four are heroes for me.

Now to go totally off topic and do this...

Tallest Man On Earth = Dylan >> Elliott Smith > Nick Drake.
The Wild Hunt > Highway 61 Revisited > XO > Bryter Layter/Pink Moon > Either Or.

(Also, There's No leaving Now and about a half dozen Dylan albums go somewhere between highway 61 and XO.

• Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 02/25/2014 00:57
  • Post subject:
So Elliott Smith is pretty solid guys.

• Posted: 02/25/2014 06:43
  • Post subject:
Don't understand the appeal of TTMOE. He just isn't very good. Pleasant enough I guess; I wouldn't switch station if his song came on the radio. But compared to Smith (let alone Dylan and Drake lol)? No thanks.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 02/25/2014 06:45
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Don't understand the appeal of TTMOE. He just isn't very good. Pleasant enough I guess; I wouldn't switch station if his song came on the radio. But compared to Smith (let alone Dylan and Drake lol)? No thanks.