Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/08/2014 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1201): Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin
Today's album of the day

Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1969.
Overall rank: 53
Average rating: 86/100 (from 914 votes).

Tracks:
1. Good Times Bad Times
2. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
3. You Shook Me
4. Dazed And Confused
5. Your Time Is Gonna Come
6. Black Mountain Side
7. Communication Breakdown
8. I Can't Quit You Baby
9. How Many More Times

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/08/2014 21:07
  • Post subject:
Great debut! They would go on to make albums far greater, but this is still fantastic!
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 03/08/2014 21:18
  • Post subject:
This is beast. Love me my heavy blues when I get the chance.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2014 21:29
  • Post subject:
Ah man I love this album. It's #3 on my top 100 and I doubt it'll ever leave my top 10. Led Zeppelin were a major influence on me growing up and still are, and I think that this album is easily their best. You'll rarely hear blues executed so perfectly. Instrumentally, it has few peers, Jimmy Page's guitar work is masterful, John Bonham's drumming is unparalleled, Robert Plant's vocals are great and John Paul Jones' bass playing is exactly what it needs to be. If any of these for musicians were not in the band, it would not nearly be as great as it is.

I love the opening track especially, I just imagine it saying to the world during the guitar solos "Hey everyone, here's the greatest guitarist in rock music, enjoy" and Bonham's ability with a single bass pedal is jaw-dropping as he makes it sound like a double-bass.

The whole album is incredible, I can't ever imagine getting sick of it. That transition into "How Many More Times" from "I Can't Quit You Baby" is like sex. Amazing stuff.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 03/08/2014 21:50
  • Post subject:
A fantastic record. I think Good Times Bad Times and Baby I'm Gonna Leave You are one of the best first two songs on any album ever.
One of my personal favourites is Your Time is Gonna Come, a song which whenever I listen to it it makes me euphoric and I can't help myself but I always sing out loud 'Yooooooour tiiiiiiiiiime is gonnnna come!' Very Happy
It used to be my favourite Led Zeppelin album but after I got more into Led Zeppelin IV several times it is now my second favourite album by them.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/08/2014 22:13
  • Post subject:
It's okay.
Silver

• Posted: 03/08/2014 22:21
  • Post subject:
I really, really dislike this album. I didn't even care that much for Zeppelin when I was 9 and I all listened to was classic rock. Time has done the opposite of remedying that. Only passable album they have to me is Houses Of The Holy.
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/08/2014 22:24
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
I really, really dislike this album. I didn't even care that much for Zeppelin when I was 9 and I all listened to was classic rock. Time has done the opposite of remedying that. Only passable album they have to me is Houses Of The Holy.

Think What is it about them that you dislike? I don't think they're impossible to dislike, but I find them to be really enjoyable.
Silver

• Posted: 03/08/2014 22:27
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
Think What is it about them that you dislike? I don't think they're impossible to dislike, but I find them to be really enjoyable.

Shit lyrics, boring songwriting, white blues rock wankery that I got tired of 7 years ago, one of the most annoying singers I can think of in music, and just a general dislike for them and the respect they get. That last one is a bit unfair, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an influence. You don't have to ask why someone dislikes something you like every time by the way, otherwise you'll be asking a lot of questions.
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/08/2014 22:33
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
Shit lyrics, boring songwriting, white blues rock wankery that I got tired of 10 years ago, one of the most annoying singers I can think of in music, and just a general dislike for them and the respect they get. That last one is a bit unfair, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an influence.

Yeah, the lyrics aren't stunning, but I wouldn't call them terrible. That's not really the point of the album, anyway. Why do you find Plant's voice annoying? Is it the pitch? The tone? Why is the respect they get a reason to dislike them? That has nothing to do with the music itself.

SilverWalrus wrote:
You don't have to ask why someone dislikes something you like every time by the way, otherwise you'll be asking a lot of questions.

This is an album discussion forum. I'm supposed to ask why you like or dislike certain albums.