The leveling system

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
notsquib

Canada

• Posted: 03/11/2014 06:15
  • Post subject: The leveling system
The leveling system is extremely annoying and bothersome. The leap between levels is too big and it doesn't really give much more per level. It's also frustrating that it doesn't automatically give you the points when you do things.

Side note. Do you only get points on commenting/rating charts or do album rating/commenting count
  • Visit poster's website
Hammy

• Posted: 03/11/2014 07:28
  • Post subject: Re: The leveling system
Onlyhalfretarded wrote:

Side note. Do you only get points on commenting/rating charts or do album rating/commenting count

Both and 2 points for forum posts.
  • Visit poster's website
antiloopje

Belgium

• Posted: 03/11/2014 09:13
  • Post subject:
The leveling system is designed to reward users for their contributions to the site. It may be annoying for new users if they can only make a small chart of 40 entries. An easy way to quickly gain more points is rating all songs on the albums in your chart and make some comments on the albums you like most. If you do this even for only 50 albums, you can easily get around 350 points + 100 points for your 50 entries. Making a few additional ratings, comments and forum posts can get you to level 4 (and a 100 entry chart) within a day or two. I do agree that points should be given instantaneously and not after a few hours, that should help new users a lot.
  • Visit poster's website
Tradex

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/11/2014 09:15
  • Post subject:
Each forum post: 2pts
Each comment: 2pts
Each chart entry: 2pts
Each mod update: 1pt
Each rating: ½pt

I'd agree with you to be honest but it keeps people here so oh well (:
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/11/2014 09:24
  • Post subject:
Maybe I'm only saying this because I'm now level 8, but I don't think the leveling system is too harsh.

I actually think the system might benefit forum users too much, as 2 points per posts seems quite high and doesn't always encourage thoughtful discussion, but otherwise it seems fair.

I gained 2,500 points in around a week through mod points, just 10 minutes here and there improving the database. Mod points are easy points and make a huge difference to the site. If leveling up is your aim, I highly recommend heading over to Newly Added Albums and making changing where you can.

As for automatically awarding points, it only takes a few hours, just have a little patience, it would probably be quite stressful for the servers to constantly update each user's points.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/11/2014 09:42
  • Post subject:
Point system as it stands also rewards user interaction/involvement/socialization.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 03/11/2014 13:13
  • Post subject:
The point system is fantastic, pretty easy actually. Comment on songs, albums, etc.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/11/2014 13:53
  • Post subject:
antiloopje wrote:
I do agree that points should be given instantaneously and not after a few hours, that should help new users a lot.

I definitely understand that it could be a source of frustration having to wait a few hours for the stats to be recalculated. The main reason for the current time interval is to ease the load on the server as calculating the stats for the whole site is computationally expensive. I'll look to see if these can be updated more frequently.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 03/12/2014 23:05
  • Post subject:
I think that having to level to contribute more is kind of a ridiculous system, but it's also incredibly easy. I've been here for maybe a day and a half and am 76 points from Level 5 (76 points I've probably earned since the last point server reset).
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2014 23:07
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
The point system is fantastic, pretty easy actually. Comment on songs, albums, etc.

Man, it creates some pretty fantastic comments, such as "Great Song" and "Decent Song". Oh and thousands more exactly like it.
  • Visit poster's website