Beatles vs. the Rolling Stones

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2010 13:36
  • Post subject: Beatles vs. the Rolling Stones
I normally would say the Beatles but after sampling all of the Stones best songs on Amazon, I am not sure, maybe the Rolling Stones are better?
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 07/03/2010 13:42
  • Post subject:
As someone who isn't a fan of either. I enjoy more of the rolling stones songs than The Beatles, Their songs are also more mature. (no yellow submarine type songs)
Cryptozoologist

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2010 15:50
  • Post subject:
Unfortunately, the Rolling Stones are bland and unimaginative. They really are the most overrated band in history. How can anyone listen through an entire album of their shit and not get bored?

Oh, and it's really fucking fantastic how everyone assumes that Yellow Submarine is representative of everything the Beatles did. Have you never heard "Happiness is a Warm Gun"?
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2010 15:54
  • Post subject:
thomas697 wrote:
As someone who isn't a fan of either. I enjoy more of the rolling stones songs than The Beatles, Their songs are also more mature. (no yellow submarine type songs)

Mature in subject matter maybe, but the Beatles were infinitely more sophisticated as songwriters, but this is a musician's perspective. People that say the Beatles weren't very sophisticated or that their songs were simplistic, usually aren't musicians (I'm not saying that's what you said), but I've heard that comment before.

The question gets to the heart of what kind of music fan are you. Do you prefer your rock more roots derived, primal, and raw, or do you like a little folk and pop sensibility mixed in? Do you like music that is more about the rhythm and the groove or music that is more about the melody and the harmony? Chuck Berry and Howlin' Wolf or Buddy Holly and The Everly Brothers (meets Chuck Berry)? Tin Pan Alley or Robert Johnson? Those are the questions underlying the comparison of the two, and most people lean more one way or the other. I appreciate both, but overall, I prefer the Beatles for both songs, and especially, albums.
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 07/03/2010 21:43
  • Post subject:
The Beatles may have been more sophisticated, they could have all been downright geniuses. I don't see it, I'm not saying anyone in the rolling stones were either. But when I say "Yellow Submarine type songs" You know what I mean, they have (IMO) too many songs that are cringe worthy listening to and that should just be passed down to children. I think that Come Together and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds are their best songs.

I am always happy for someone to come along and change my mind, Variety being the spice of life and all. And if I'm missing something about The Beatles genius tell me, I have their entire discography just for the chance for sometime to change my mind!

And yeah I play an Instrument, I've had a guitar for 4 years and can play 8 songs, and by songs I mean riffs, and not too well either. I actually work as a music and film columnist/journalist with my sister.
Cryptozoologist

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2010 03:14
  • Post subject:
[quote="thomas697"] too many songs[/quote]

Yellow Submarine
Bungalow Bill

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the complete list of songs the Beatles wrote for children. Wow, what a list.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 07/04/2010 05:03
  • Post subject:
i've heard two albums from both bands and the rolling stones's are better. the The Rolling Stones are ranked 62 in my list of best artists and the Beatles are only in the 92#. plus i haven't rated any 5/5 song from the Beatles, but i have 2 from the rolling stones : Miss You, and (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

so i guess The Rolling Stones are better !
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 07/04/2010 08:46
  • Post subject:
Cryptozoologist wrote:
thomas697 wrote:
too many songs

Yellow Submarine
Bungalow Bill

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the complete list of songs the Beatles wrote for children. Wow, what a list.

It wouldn't matter if they only had one .. In no way is it in a bands best interest to sing songs for kids, when the a lot of their musics themes aren't appropriate for children ie Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. Its just marketing for the sake of marketing, the same bullshit propaganda that keeps them famous now.
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2010 11:55
  • Post subject:
I agree with Mr. Shankly...
For me, they come from two completely different places. The Stones are one of the last great blues based rock bands...and the beatles are the first really great studio bands creating non blues based rock for the most part..their contribution is to what a pop song could be and sound like, they pioneered recording techniques that are still in use today. I was just surprised at how good the Stones sounded when I listened to their most popular downloads at Amazon...So I love them both for different reasons. My fav Beatles songs are "Paperback Writer" and "Strawberry Fields" and my Fav Stones songs are 'Tumbling Dice" and "Paint it Black".
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2010 12:05
  • Post subject:
Well, that's the #1 and #2 band in the world. The by far most influential band in the world (The Beatles) and the longest lasting rock & roll act in the world (The Rolling Stones). Up until somewhere in my mid-20's I used to think the Stones were the better of the two and that the Beatles were too lightweight and dated. Since that I have realized I was dead wrong about that. The Beatles were brilliant in their songwriting and in their performance, and they sound as fresh today as they did in the 60's. On my list The Beatles hold the #1 spot.
  • Visit poster's website