artist nationality

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 03/28/2014 19:33
  • Post subject: artist nationality
ok this probably doesn't deserve its own thread but the question has been bugging me for awhile. When selecting nationality for a new artist, do we list the country in which the artist was born or the country in which the artist is based? (Or the country in which the artist first became active as a musician, or something I'm overlooking...)
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/28/2014 19:37
  • Post subject:
I'm guessing it's where they make music. Van Morrison was born in Ireland, but he's labeled UK on BEA because that's where his music comes from. MF Doom was born in the UK and is labeled as US, etc.
undefined

• Posted: 03/28/2014 19:49
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
I'm guessing it's where they make music. Van Morrison was born in Ireland, but he's labeled UK on BEA because that's where his music comes from. MF Doom was born in the UK and is labeled as US, etc.

But often artists may move, change the location from which their music comes... do we have to update the artists to accommodate this?
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/28/2014 19:50
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
But often artists may move, change the location from which their music comes... do we have to update the artists to accommodate this?

Good question. Think You should definitely ask AM.
undefined

• Posted: 03/28/2014 19:51
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
Good question. Think You should definitely ask AM.

hence this thread
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/28/2014 19:54
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
hence this thread

d'oh!
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/28/2014 21:11
  • Post subject:
BEA uses the nationality of the artist (rather than their country of birth) which is subtly different to some other sites (& possibly over-complicates things). As such, this is how things currently work:

Solo artists: An individual is from one country if they were born and raised to adulthood in the same country. If an artist was born in one country but raised in another, they would be considered of the other nationality.

Collaborations (where two or more artists perform together): If all artists in the collaboration are of the same nationality, the collaboration is also assigned the same nationality. If any of the main performers are of a different nationality to the rest of the collaboration, the artist may be assigned 'Mixed Nationality'. (This will change once BEA handles collaborations differently so that individual artists get credit for their albums where they collaborate with other people.)
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/28/2014 21:28
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
BEA uses the nationality of the artist (rather than their country of birth) which is subtly different to some other sites (& possibly over-complicates things). As such, this is how things currently work:

Solo artists: An individual is from one country if they were born and raised to adulthood in the same country. If an artist was born in one country but raised in another, they would be considered of the other nationality.

Collaborations (where two or more artists perform together): If all artists in the collaboration are of the same nationality, the collaboration is also assigned the same nationality. If any of the main performers are of a different nationality to the rest of the collaboration, the artist may be assigned 'Mixed Nationality'. (This will change once BEA handles collaborations differently so that individual artists get credit for their albums where they collaborate with other people.)

Thanks AM. That answers most of my questions. Though I do have one more, what constitutes "having been raised" in a country? I know of one artist who was born in the US, but spent her early childhood and adolescence in Israel, and then returned to and is currently based the US (just before reaching adulthood). Would I label this artist as American or Israeli? Similarly there's an artist born and raised to borderline adulthood in France but who has spent the majority of her life and the entirety of her music career in Chile. Is this artist French or Chilean?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/28/2014 21:58
  • Post subject:
... if an artist went to that other country whilst still in infancy and then remained living in that country until adulthood. If the nationality isn't clear, put it as 'mixed' (there are quite a few where it's not clear). At some point in the future, this might be relabelled as country of birth so that it's less ambiguous.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/28/2014 22:11
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
At some point in the future, this might be relabelled as country of birth so that it's less ambiguous.

Thanks. That would certainly make things easier (albeit mildly confusing in reference to artists such as those abovementioned by goodsir.)