What album are you listening to right now?

Goto page Previous  123 ... 193619371938 ... 219272192821929  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
Still asking me to do Hospice? Will do soon.

Not to be mean, but I kind of feel your statement of "you're getting either brilliant or shit," is what you get from Bob at all times... I mean I feel that way on most his albums at least.... minus maybe The Times They Are a-Changin' and his best of stuff...


Actually I was saying I'm listening to Hospice, but it's my permanent recommendation so take that as you will. And I can see that with Dylan. I like most of his 60's albums all the way through and some of the 70's ones, but he can be a mixed bag at times. Still a phenomenal artist to me.
  • Quote


Hope you guys don't mind... but after reading this, I think I am going to skip this one... even Dylan himself admits it falls below his standards... favorite line... "what is this shit"

Self Portrait was Dylan's second double album, and features mostly cover versions of well-known pop and folk songs. Also included are a handful of instrumentals and original compositions. Most of the album is sung in the affected country crooning voice that Dylan had introduced a year earlier on Nashville Skyline. Seen by some as intentionally surreal and even satirical at times, Self Portrait received extremely poor reviews upon release; Greil Marcus' opening sentence in his Rolling Stone review was: "What is this shit?"[1]
Dylan has claimed in interviews that Self Portrait was something of a joke, far below the standards he set in the 1960s, and was made to get people off his back and end the "spokesman of a generation" tags.
Despite the negative reception, the album quickly went gold in the US, where it hit #4, and it gave Dylan yet another UK #1 hit before it fell down the charts.
  • Quote
Rufus Wainwright, Out of the Game (2012).
  • Quote

The Times They Are A Changin' by Bob Dylan
  • Quote

Hymnal by Benoรฎt Pioulard
  • Quote

I Am The Fun Blame Monster by Menomena
  • Quote

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place by Explosions In The Sky
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:


Hope you guys don't mind... but after reading this, I think I am going to skip this one... even Dylan himself admits it falls below his standards... favorite line... "what is this shit"


I really like Self Portrait, but I couldn't give a damn whether you skip it or not. It was your choice to try and listen to a whole discography anyway.
  • Quote
Tales of the New West by The Beat Farmers. Good, healthy country-rock fun.
  • Quote

The Decline Of British Sea Power by British Sea Power

New topic  Closed Move by albummaster on 02/13/2025 16:16
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 193619371938 ... 219272192821929  Next
Page 1937 of 21929


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: User Listening Log Masterlist mickilennial Music Diaries
What album are you listening to right... danfaitz Music
What ***VINYL*** album are you listen... RoundTheBend Music
What note are you listening to right ... GARY Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.