50 Albums That Changed Music

Goto page Previous  1234
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Norman Bates wrote:
Four years ago, the French magazine "Volume" (now dead) published a list of the 200 records they thought "had changed rock music" (to be taken in the broadest sens of the term). I've just dug it up, and I'll copy and paste it here. Some records are on this chronological list because of the influence they had on French music, so don't be surprised if you don't know them. By records, the magazine meant albums or singles btw. I like this list.


This is an infinitely superior list to The Guardian's, though I find the exclusion of Paid In Full bizarre. It may not be the most influential or seminal album musically, but Rakim virtually single-handedly changed the way people thought about rapping, and subsequently how people rapped. But the failure to include that album doesn't stop this from being a great list. In terms of the amount of stuff this list covers in such a small amount of releases, I'd recommend it ahead of most other lists of its ilk. It's a damning indictment of the current state of the printed press - and the public's subsequent (un)willingness to support the industry - that a magazine with this sort of taste and knowledge is now defunct.
  • Quote
I'm right there with you as far as Rakim is concerned, as well you know. Still, couldn't be the fact that this is a French list be a reason for its absence? French-speaking people are bound to be less knowledgeable as far as rapping abilities are concerned.
  • Quote
Norman Bates wrote:
I'm right there with you as far as Rakim is concerned, as well you know. Still, couldn't be the fact that this is a French list be a reason for its absence? French-speaking people are bound to be less knowledgeable as far as rapping abilities are concerned.


That's a very good point I hadn't considered. Would certainly make sense if that was the case.
  • Quote
Jasonconfused wrote:
This is a good list, only objection I have is this: There's no way that Master of Reality changed music or even metal more than their eponymous debut and Paranoid.


Iommi and Butler tuned their strings one and a half step down. All the cool bands of doom-, sludge- and stoner metal probably listened more to Master of Reality than their two previous. I'm not saying that Master of Reality was their most influental album overall (I have no idea), but I believe that Master of Reality helped shaping certain movements in metal
  • Quote
Borve Baunehoj wrote:
Iommi and Butler tuned their strings one and a half step down. All the cool bands of doom-, sludge- and stoner metal probably listened more to Master of Reality than their two previous. I'm not saying that Master of Reality was their most influental album overall (I have no idea), but I believe that Master of Reality helped shaping certain movements in metal


That's a fair point.
_________________

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1234
Page 4 of 4


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
Albums / music that changed my life Johnnyo Music
Albums that changed your life the most? benpaco Music
Which artists forever changed your pe... Spyglass Music
Making an album has changed my opinio... carpents Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.