Champions

Goto page Previous  12345
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
lethalnezzle wrote:
Not a fan of the idea. We have recommendation threads and what not.


I completely agree with this.

And...we kind of already have the "champion" idea without actually having the title champion. Using an example previously mentioned, say I want to learn more about Muse. I could go to the search bar, type Muse, go to their page, and see all the users that have favorited that band. I look through the users that have favorited Muse, and see a few names from the forum I recognize (Dingerbell, myself...). I pm any of those users asking for recommendations. If they don't respond or can't give a recommendation, I repeat the process and move to another user. Or like nezzle said just go to the recommendation thread and wait for someone to respond.

"Championing" an artist seems kind of counterintuitive. Instead of giving lots of users the ability to recommend and talk about a certain band, you're basically restricting it to one user (or giving that one user the most influence and the final say). It's not a bad idea, I just think it's already been covered.
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
I like this idea. It would be kinda cool to be the champion of the king of shock rock.
  • Quote
JMan wrote:
I like this idea. It would be kinda cool to be the champion of the king of shock rock.


Do you even Arthur Brown, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, or King Diamond?
_________________
  • Quote
I agree, it'll just make the site messy and create further elitism for the older users.

It's pretty clear from discussion which users know most about certain bands anyhow.
  • Quote
lethalnezzle wrote:
This just seems likely to turn into a dick-swinging competition, and christ knows we have enough of those already.


That's what the old 'I'm the biggest fan of' thread turned into....
_________________
Finnegan was super bad-ass.
  • Quote
Puncture Repair wrote:
I agree, it'll just make the site messy

Yea, it'll lead to egos that can't be tamed and other unintended consequences.

_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ptaylor1989
  • Quote
Perhaps this thread needed to die, but I'd like to suggest a different take on the idea.

It's fairly easy to determine who the biggest fan of any given album is (except for like the top twenty). You look at the album's page on this site, and whoever has the highest rank score is that album's champion. Tie breakers go first to the largest chart, then to oldest member (in terms of membership seniority). An artist's champions are the set of all the artists album's champions.

For example. To pick an album at random, James Brown Live At The Apollo (1963). The highest Rank Score for it is 98, from jjstraka ranking it #2 out of 100. He would be that album's champion. Perhaps he could get a line in the generated description at the top of the page, something like "Live At The Apollo has an average rating of 79 out of 100 (from 180 votes), and its biggest fan is jjstraka.

Another example. Pink Floyd's The Wall. Dozens rank it as #1 overall. Three rank it as #1 out of 100, so whichever of those three (Hattori300, Kyle39, and rsongster) has seniority wins. So Hattori300, member since September 2010, would be that album's champion.
  • Quote
Listmeister wrote:
this thread needed to die
  • Quote
lethalnezzle wrote:
Listmeister wrote:
this thread needed to die
  • Quote
Jasonconfused wrote:
I'd say Metallica, but honestly I don't know shit or really care to know shit about anything they did post-Black Album.

I guess maybe Led Zeppelin? They definitely are my favorite band, but I just think there are so many Led Zeppelin fans, that it would be difficult for me to claim to be the champion of them.


The Zep champ would probably be the one that's listened to every Zeppelin live and studio album and has most of their albums on his/her chart.

I know I'd champion Alice Cooper and Meat Loaf. Double-whammy for me.

ptaylor1989 wrote:
Yea, it'll lead to egos that can't be tamed and other unintended consequences.]


It'll lead to a million Jasons.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345
Page 5 of 5


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
UEFA Champions League meruizh Lounge

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.