BDAT Rd. 1 - Moon Safari vs. Are You Experienced (CLOSED)

Goto page Previous  123
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is better?
Moon Safari:
45%
 45%  [17]
Are You Experienced:
54%
 54%  [20]
Total Votes : 37

  • Quote
Not my fav album by either artist but Moon Safari might be the best "in love" album out there. I <3 Air sorry Jimi.
  • Quote
Doesn't matter which version we're talking about here. I've voted Are You Experienced in a very close match. I love both, but Hendrix's guitar playing is unmatched by anything on Moon Safari.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
Listmeister wrote:
This two-version situation with Are You Experienced? sort of complicates things. I suggest that we agree here (or that Swedenman make a ruling) that the US version is definitive for the purposes of this tournament. The album is American, and all the comments I've seen say the US version is better.


I've made my stance on this pretty clear in the past. To me the UK version is inarguably the definitive version because it was the album's original tracklist. I do happen to prefer the UK tracklist, yes, but that's beside the point. I mean, idk if there's something I'm missing, but naming an updated tracklist the definitive one just because you like it better doesn't really make sense to me. Unless Jimi actually named that version the definitive one? If so, I haven't heard about that.

Regardless, I'll let people make up their own minds on which version to consider for the purposes of this tournament. That's the way it works with charts, anyhow.
  • Quote
swedenman wrote:
I've made my stance on this pretty clear in the past. To me the UK version is inarguably the definitive version because it was the album's original tracklist. I do happen to prefer the UK tracklist, yes, but that's beside the point. I mean, idk if there's something I'm missing, but naming an updated tracklist the definitive one just because you like it better doesn't really make sense to me. Unless Jimi actually named that version the definitive one? If so, I haven't heard about that.

Regardless, I'll let people make up their own minds on which version to consider for the purposes of this tournament. That's the way it works with charts, anyhow.


When considering the UK vs US release argument, I think we have to look at why there are 2 different version. at that time there were two different mentalities. European labels left off singles from the album release in order to avoid redundancy. In the modern era this would never happen. I'm not sure this makes one release/tracklist more official than the other, but it's something to think about. The UK and US versions of Beatles albums are horribly different. I generally consider the UK versions the official versions.

Considering that the UK version of Are You Experienced predates the US version by a few months, I'd lean towards that one being the release to focus on.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
gtroda wrote:
you should be forced to change your rank name for even considering this


Lol my rank name is pretty much just a joke about people calling me a dadrocker.
Anyway, it was really close, not gonna lie, but ultimately went with Hendrix.
_________________
  • Quote
swedenman wrote:
I've made my stance on this pretty clear in the past.

Indeed ๐Ÿ˜œ

To be honest, fuck versions, I just went with the full one, containing both UK and US tracks. I've still voted for Air, though, but what I mean is that I've compared Moon Safari with the "complete" version on Are You Experienced. Everyone should do as they want. Wait, no, everyone should consider the UK version to be the original one, so they would vote for Moon Safari ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
  • Quote
I think Moon Safari's a fantastic album, but Are You Experienced is probably my favourite debut album ever. One of the first albums I loved, and every song is incredible.
  • Quote
Wtf there aren't even any giraffes on the moon.

18-17
  • Quote
Boo
  • Quote
...dang

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123
Page 3 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
[ Poll ] BDAT Rd. 2 - Is This It vs. Are You E... Guest Tournaments
MOON SAFARI JohnnyRocketFingers Suggestions
[ Poll ] Moon Safari vs Mezzanine Polythene Pam Tournaments
[ Poll ] Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks v... Guest Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.