You must listen to the album below you.

Goto page Previous  123 ... 303132 ... 197198199  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Listened to the Melody Monk album Brandon gave. Pretty good, very interesting. A lot of melodic patterns common in Hebrew prayers, frankly. I ended up listening to the album a 2nd time as a soundtrack for DA2, since the music in the actual game is a little repetitive. It's not great and I wouldn't listen to it alone again, but it makes a nice soundtrack, I think.

Anyhow, I have no idea who this is for, so have an album at random. Gonna throw my Spotify on shuffle and just first that comes up is yours, unless you've heard it, then post something and I'll find another one.


In The Grace Of Your Love by The Rapture
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote
benpaco wrote:

In The Grace Of Your Love by The Rapture


I'll edit in my review here in a few hours

Only ever heard Echoes from The Rapture, which I enjoyed but think was a much poorer version of contemporary albums from Cut Copy and LCD Soundsystem, (particularly the first two albums from Cut Copy and the last two from LCD Soundsystem). I think this was much less enjoyable than Echoes. I think a necessary strength of "dance punk" is pop (especially dance pop) sensibility and The Rapture have very little of it on this record, and when they do it leans towards something like The Black Keys rather than something like New Order. Couldn't see any song off this album being a decent single. The only parts my ears perked up at were the last 20 seconds of both Sail Away and Children. All that negativity aside, I'd probably like this more if I saw them live with a few beers in me; that won't be happening though. I'd give this somewhere around a 5/10 if I rated albums.

I'd prefer a more tailored rec next time around


Last edited by Kool Keith Sweat on 03/08/2014 17:53; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Listening to '~' the Brandon gave me ๐Ÿ˜„

I'll also edit my review in here later.

Edit: I like it ๐Ÿ˜„ It's cool and stuff. Some songs are a bit stronger than others, but I think the album is meant as an experience as a whole. Wish it was a bit rawer though, that would have been cool. But overall, it was pretty cool. 75/100
_________________
Doubles & Conch


Last edited by Hayden on 03/08/2014 21:30; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Will have to go out and find Angry Samoans. I will get back to that one later.

For now the above can have:

Punkt by Pierre Lapointe



Imagine Scott Walker's 'Tilt' mixed with pre-school television show fun. It's best new album I've heard today... well... the only new album I've heard today.
  • Quote
Here's for you an_outlaw! ๐Ÿ˜ I've been trying to promote it recently and it's actually not that obscure anyway, so tell me if you already know it. It's hardcore punk, I guess.


Kill From The Heart by The Dicks
  • Quote
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
I'd prefer a more tailored rec next time around


Sorry you didn't enjoy it Keith! I agree its not as good as Echoes but I do still like it. Also I'm sorry but I had NO IDEA who was technically the person above me, you or Drako or dividesbyzero. As a result, I tried to give a general album and sorry cuz I would've tailored it more for you had I known it was you.
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote
yourself wrote:
Oh wow, forgot about this thread. Many many months late ๐Ÿคฃ but I do remember listening to this....and getting really annoyed at the vocals. I just tried again and...still bothersome. Cool early electronic sounds, but very irritating music.

For whoever's next:


Mosaic by Wovenhand

I listened to this earlier today and, well, simply put, it was fantastic! Its sort of hard to describe what it was like, but it was weird in a good way. Imagine the country equivalent of dark folk, but with no metal and a sound nothing like dark folk. There are banjos, but, whereas I usually find them cheesy, on here they take more of a background role, and are much less irritating. And the vocals remind me of Beck, so that was also good. All in all this album is truly excellent; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now, for benpaco or drakonium (not sure who this is directed to) I give you this:


Guitar Romantic by The Exploding Hearts
  • Quote
It is always directed to the last person to post an album, not the last person to post in general. Just so people aren't confused by that. XD
  • Quote
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
enjoy, dbz


Afternoon Of A Georgia Faun by Marion Brown

Alright, so I didn't quite know what to expect diving into this. I'm familiar with the individual work of most of the artists in this lineup, so I certainly didn't expect something that sounds entirely different than, and in many ways, far more compelling, than any of their individual work. I'm hesitant to even call this a jazz album; it has more in common with impressionistic sound collages than any jazz I've ever heard. And really this is an intensely impressionistic album; I imagine the experience is/can be wildly different depending on the individual listening, but for me, this album was a series of abstract landscapes, intensely evocative of imagery and feeling. "Afternoon Of A Georgia Faun" is like a fragmented trip across a series of tangentially connected landscapes. Lots of art-fuckery going on here, but of all the quirks and surprises the album pulls, for me the standouts were the use of field recordings (particularly on the birds, on which I will elaborate further), and the use of the voice as a percussive instrument; the wild percussion arrangements already form the base of these impressionistic landscapes, but Marion's various vocal pops and clicks blend in with the sax, piano, etc., but still maintain a firm connection to the increasingly wild percussion; the atypical use of the voice is like the adhesive that really solidifies the cohesion of the first track. Ok now the birds; on the first track, this field recording comes by during some of the more introspective moments; the birds (for the parts in which they are found) act as the vehicle to... I don't know, take you places. I keep calling this intensely impressionistic, but I can't deny that this album took me to many places, some of which were revisited on the second track, but in a far different context. "Djinji's Corner" starts out simply enough, but as it progresses, I find myself being taken through the same aforementioned landscapes, but this time there is a kind of urgency being evoked. I return to the birds, they appear again on this track in a fairly similar fashion, except the surrounding instrumentation is wilder, almost intimidatingly so, and (again, just my own personal imagery) it's as if the birds that originally took me to a series of varied landscapes are fleeing, and I'm trying to chase them down while running through a series of doors, each containing a warped image of some kind, but the music is still chasing me, and the birds are getting away, so I only have time to glean fragments of the landscapes before running through the next door, and before long, they all just kinda blend into one flurry of images. The birds are long gone, the track starts to settle down, and the primal wildness of the music fades out and just quietly sits down, (at this point I started seeing the music as physical entities. That was cool.) Anyway, they all just decided to stop running wildly and go on with their day like nothing happened, leaving me to look back at the endless hallway of doors I just ran through, still catching my breath, I look around at everything all normal, everyone acting like it had been all this normal from the beginning, and I, left with this conglomerate of fragmented imagery still spinning through my head, look around and breathlessly mutter "what the fuck". I then proceed to collapse onto my back (the album's been over for some time at this point) and recall the birds (as they were the first time around). I let the memory of that chirping occupy my mind, slowly fading. It's all over and I proceed to sit up and exclaim "thank you purple". Seriously if you can glean anything from that bullshit rambling above, let it be that I fucking loved this, for reasons I still don't fully understand. I've still got the images. The album is stuck with me and I love it. Best rec I've gotten in awhile. Thank you Keith

*phew*
ok, let's see, Dingerbell!
I command thee to listen to:

What Fun Life Was by Bedhead
  • Quote
K now that the rules are clearer (thanks Brandon!), dividesbyzero, I give you


Half Mute by Tuxedomoon

Totally 50/50 on if you'll like it or not but I think you will. I hope.
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 303132 ... 197198199  Next
Page 31 of 199


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below yo... baystateoftheart Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.