“Avant-metal radicals Gorguts took 12 years off and came back as heroes of weird metal” – Rolling Stone
“Whoa even Rolling Stone includes Gorguts!“ – yourself
“Color Sands comes from the process of these Tibetan monks drawing mandalas with colored sand. I was really, really amazed by this process, and I found it very, very intricate. I wanted, by curiosity, I wanted to find out why they do that. At the very beginning, I was looking forward to making a whole record about this process, with the Tibetan symbology, and the actual mandalas. Every little thing means something, and is important, and has a role to play in this whole big drawing. After reading a few books, I decided nah, maybe not do a whole record about it. Talking about it within a song is fine, because it’s one part of their culture. By reading more, I found more about how they found the Dahlia Llama as a kid, because they believe in reincarnation and all those things. I found that interesting” – Luc Lemay of Gorguts
"Writing Royals was sort of like: 'Why the fuck isn't anyone talking about this?' I feel like I'm late to the party saying it, but actually I'm not, there's nothing here, how is there nothing here? And so all these people started telling me that what I'm saying is, like, profound. Are you serious? No, it's not. It's hugely concerning for me" - Lorde
"No doubt everything here will have soaring synthesizers, decisive drumbeats and delicately stated vocals. But each song presents this trifecta in new variants, different tempos and plethoric dispositions" – Paste magazine
"there's a strong emotional core behind Lauren's words and the band's wonderfully set mood that keeps me returning to this disc" – paladisiac
"I like the fact that we made something that's completely ours and it wasn't touched by an external producer or A&R guys or anything like that". – Lauren Mayberry of CHVRCHES
But for real, Beyonce made one of the best albums of all-time.
I don't think of it as highly as you do, but it's definitely the best pick out of these nominees. Thing is, I hadn't listened to it yet when the votes were put up, shame.
mickilennialThe Most Trusted Name in NewsProfile Detroit
I'm happy Chrvches got it, I would've been fine with Paramore. But I wasn't too empathetic towards the Acid Rap, Colored Sands, or Royals choices at all. 😜
Okay for a short interlude, let's take a look at what SquishyPuffDave had to say about one of the 10 best album nominees, Loud City Song by Julia Holter.
---
Loud City Song is a theatrical album, and I mean that in the best possible way. Julia's shapeshifting performance conjures a panoramic analogue of lonely alleyways and bustling city streets, all silhouette and smoke. I can see the creaky wooden supports, the pulleys moving the flat wooden cars to and fro, the actors darting across the scaffolding in pantomime. Even in the album's most subdued moments, a symphony is waiting in the background, mumbling and clearing its throat, anticipating the next big moment. Like an enormous organism. Like a city. It has been a long time since I've felt so comfortably small.
I have nothing sensible to say about this album. It deserves nothing less than hyperbole. I'm almost compelled to use the word "transcendent", and I believe the term to be wholly applicable in this instance. Loud City Song is the sound of being madly in love with the world and everything in it.
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Last edited by 19loveless91 on 03/09/2014 20:38; edited 2 times in total
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum