What's going on!

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Dingerbell wrote:
BEA is rather rubbish for getting recs from this year, if you are using the year charts alone. (...) So, if you want recs, look at year charts.


This.
  • Quote
I think 2014 is being weaker than 2013, but I already discover great bands like Temples, Birth Of Joy, Crippled Black Phoenix or Wild Beasts(yes, only now I discovered this great band ๐Ÿ˜ )

On the other hand, here in Portugal is being one of the best years, with amazing albums which unfortunately donยดt have attention out of here.
  • Quote
I really enjoyed the temples release but unfortunately what seems to be the big album of the year [Sun Kil Moon] started off really well but has now dropped in my rankings substantially.
  • Quote
Norman Bates wrote:
Wait till the Beatles, Pink Floyd and Radiohead release their albums.


Seriously : a lot of good music, but no big names (apart from maybe Albarn). Those big names make the charts and the ratings.


ok, yeah, I guess that's true; it's not like Tool or Swans have released their albums yet, and it's not like Radiohead or Kendrick Lamar have released anything this year...
_________________
<--suddenly...Bora!
#BodyRollSwag
  • Quote
Dingerbell wrote:
So wrong.


I wasn't stating that it was necessarily true; I said it might be an indication that the music is weaker, so don't say YOU'RE SO WRONG, ok? I was basing this concept via comparison; also, it seems intuitive based on what I've seen from people's responses to music in 2014 that it's been weaker this year. That doesn't mean that it's necessarily true.

Dingerbell wrote:
Last year, at this stage, only one album (m b v) was rated over 80, and that has now dropped below that. And that's assuming, of course, that the ratings are reliable- considering some people just give the album's a five, and then leave. Song ratings are also pointless, as you can see for the Piรฑata song ratings, where several people have just given all the tracks very low ratings. Generally, it takes a long time for people to listen to albums that are released from this year- hardly anyone hears them on the release date; instead they wait for a good response, and then listen.


I wasn't too active on this site last year, tbh. at least, not this time of the year. I've come to realize that ratings on this site are HIGHLY unreliable. Especially for tracks; I recently saw the ratings on the Spiritualized album Ladies and Gentlemen.... Three months ago, "Ladies and Gentlemen..." and "Broken Heart" had amazing ratings (~88 or 89). Then 5 or so people skew the results by giving the songs 5/100. It clearly marks a simple biasing behavior, and angers me that people are not rating things fairly. There's no reason anyone should give those tracks a 5/100 (especially not 5 people in the expanse of 3 months) unless they do it purposely to skew ratings. And of course people could be like "well, that's just like... their opinions, man...", but statistically they're all considered outliers... by several standard deviations... so statistically their ratings aren't very sound. Which indicates that bias has seeped into the tracks' ratings. Not just preference, but bias. And the averaging algorithm that BEA has implemented apparently can't support nullifying the effects of outliers as well as I first thought. Even if it could, more people would probably come and rate things lowly until the scores DO go down...

I haven't heard Pinata yet, so I can't make a call on if I think people are under-rating it, but I know exactly how you feel, just from seeing Ladies and Gentlemen... ratings yesterday.

Dingerbell wrote:
To be honest, BEA is rather rubbish for getting recs from this year, if you are using the year charts alone. There aren't enough users listening to albums from this year, and so many good albums are in less than ten charts, or one album that is high on someone's overall shoots up the rankings, whilst not being particularly good. So, if you want recs, look at year charts.


Got it, I kind of realized that some of the albums are kind of highly rated just cuz 1 person puts at like #20 on their overall chart, and they're the only ones that have even listened to the album... the rank isn't based on consensus, but on one dude's favoritism.
_________________
<--suddenly...Bora!
#BodyRollSwag
  • Quote
I've been going off of the Number Of Charts feature, gets rid of the whole "this is high up cos one guy really loves it" thing.
_________________
Romanelli wrote:
We're all fucked, lads.
  • Quote
So far 2014 feels pretty much like 2013. Plenty of very good releases from all realms. Like Norm said, there hasn't been too many major releases but that's actually a good things. It's giving smaller records some time to shine.

these are all pretty great.


Hot Dreams by Timber Timbre


Past Life by Lost In The Trees


Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Ever...La-La Band


Lithium Burn by Deleted Scenes


Beyond Ugly by Malachai


Plus, for better or worse Afghan Whigs, Pixies, and Owls all released their first albums in a long time.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
soundguardian wrote:
It clearly marks a simple biasing behavior, and angers me that people are not rating things fairly.



You (and many other users) complain about ratings arenยดt reliable, but then I go to your page and I see you rating 32 albums, 1 artist...of course, if only people who donยดt like the albums go rating, the ratings arenยดt fairly.

Rating is really easy to do, if everybody rating everything they listened this go help BEA grow up and make thing more fairly.
  • Quote
DanielNunes93 wrote:
You (and many other users) complain about ratings arenยดt reliable, but then I go to your page and I see you rating 32 albums, 1 artist...of course, if only people who donยดt like the albums go rating, the ratings arenยดt fairly.

Rating is really easy to do, if everybody rating everything they listened this go help BEA grow up and make thing more fairly.


I primarily use this site to find recommendations to listen to while I work, not to rate things myself (because I don't have a lot of time on my hands usually, I just have a day off today). But I do rate albums and songs when I feel ready to rate them. I don't feel ready to rate an album fairly until I've listened to it multiple times, and again I don't have all the time in the world to listen to music, I have projects to complete, etc.
_________________
<--suddenly...Bora!
#BodyRollSwag
  • Quote
A lot of people (Myself included), don't put much emphasis on ratings, personally I just find it difficult to rate stuff at times, hence why I deleted all my ratings awhile back and have barely rated anything since then. I tend to go off how many charts it's in or look through individual charts of users who have similar tastes to myself (Or not depending on my mood).

As for this year, I'm happy so far, haven't heard as much as I would like but that's due to Uni, things will clear up in the summer and I should have a full chart up by then, I've heard 60/70 albums this year so far and enjoyed over half of them. In fact, this year has the potential to be stronger than last year, especially as there's still 8 months still to come (I already love Benji as much as any album from last year in its entirety).
_________________


2023
2022

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Going back in time on overall chart Guest Suggestions
When you're going through bad times a... Happy Music
So what was going on yesterday? PsychologistHD Suggestions
I'm going back to the start kokkinos Music Diaries
The top 20 *genre* albums going by be... alelsupreme Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.