Chart talk

Goto page Previous  123 ... 236237238 ... 424425426  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
It has happened

One Album Per Artist
  • Quote
Started a new chart of albums that feel like they take you to an alternate universe, sometimes bizarre, sometimes scary, sometimes beautiful. Many are obvious choices off the top of my head, so I'd love to hear some recs.

Eventually I'll put them in some sort of order than keeps similar stuff grouped.

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=18774
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
meccalecca wrote:
Started a new chart of albums that feel like they take you to an alternate universe, sometimes bizarre, sometimes scary, sometimes beautiful. Many are obvious choices off the top of my head, so I'd love to hear some recs.


These...


The Milk-Eyed Mender by Joanna Newsom


Noah's Ark by CocoRosie
  • Quote
Since I have just reached level 5, I am starting to make decade charts. I'm thinking of going one album per artist, just like in my overall chart. Do you people recommend this?
  • Quote
RepoMan wrote:
These...


Both are old favorites. I think I'll go with Cocorosie's debut though. it's probably my favorite of theirs
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
WindowAbove wrote:
Do you people recommend this?


I don't. If someone released a bunch of fantastic albums over the course of 10 years, give credit where credit's due.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
WindowAbove wrote:
Since I have just reached level 5, I am starting to make decade charts. I'm thinking of going one album per artist, just like in my overall chart. Do you people recommend this?


I think the forums are firmly split on this question. I'm against it for basically the reason mecca gave, but Skinny, Gowie, and others are big on it. Just do whatever you think is best.
  • Quote
meccalecca wrote:
Started a new chart of albums that feel like they take you to an alternate universe, sometimes bizarre, sometimes scary, sometimes beautiful. Many are obvious choices off the top of my head, so I'd love to hear some recs.


I'm assuming you've heard at least the first few Popol Vuh albums. (any of them would fit nicely on a list like this)

Pretty recently woke up so I'm too lazy to write anything about these picks, but yeah check them out I guess.

New Maps Of Hell by Paul Schรผtze


A Day In The Stark Corner by Lycia


The Dimension Gate by Aurora Sutra

WindowAbove wrote:
Since I have just reached level 5, I am starting to make decade charts. I'm thinking of going one album per artist, just like in my overall chart. Do you people recommend this?


I've been doing the one album per artist rule for all my charts. I'd recommend it for the sole reason of discovering new artists.


Last edited by Hammy on 05/27/2014 16:23; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
WindowAbove wrote:
Since I have just reached level 5, I am starting to make decade charts. I'm thinking of going one album per artist, just like in my overall chart. Do you people recommend this?


The only complete decade charts that I had (prior to deleting my account) were my '80s and my 2000s chart, and I believe both were one-album-per-artist (my 1980s one definitely was, and it was the decade chart I was happiest with). But whatever you feel. I don't think charts with one-album-per-artist are necessarily better or worse than charts with multiple artists - you get great charts that fall into both categories. For me, the best charts (excluding custom charts) tend to be those that I feel are honest, littered with personal, unqiue(-ish) choices, full of variety, and hopefully with some sort of notes I can check while I browse through. I personally like to see a good cross-section of age, nationality, race, gender too, though charts that manage this are few and far between, and my charts pretty much never manage this (particularly the latter - I guess I just relate to male perspectives more than female perspectives, or am otherwise just an unwitting secret sexist).
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Tonality wrote:
I'm assuming you've heard at least the first few Popol Vuh albums. (any of them would fit nicely on a list like this)

Pretty recently woke up so I'm too lazy to write anything about these picks, but yeah check them out I guess.


Awesome. thanks so much. I figured you'd have some solid input. Just added them to my queue. Yeah, I figure Popol will end up on this chart too.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 236237238 ... 424425426  Next
Page 237 of 426


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] CLOSED: PPNW - SF: Talk Talk def. The... videoheadcleaner Tournaments
Talk Talk, Music Machine 1966 ffudnebbuh Music
[ Poll ] CLOSED: PPNW - R2: Talk Talk def. Chrome videoheadcleaner Tournaments
[ Poll ] CLOSED: PPNW - EF: Wire def. Talk Talk videoheadcleaner Tournaments
Talk Talk skelter54 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.