CLOSED - 750: Round 1: The Devil Made Me Do It v. Skelethon

Goto page Previous  12
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album would you like to see advance?
The Devil Made Me Do It:
47%
 47%  [9]
Skelethon:
52%
 52%  [10]
Total Votes : 19

  • Quote
Both were just okay. I enjoyed The Devil Made Me Do It a little more though.
_________________
  • Quote
Skelethon

I was on a trip the other day where (while going towards the location) a friend of mine and I listened to Busdriver radio and lot of Aesop came on. Anyways, vote to Aesop as I enjoy Skeelethon quite a bit. The Devil made me do it didn't ring as too intriguing to me. Overall, it was pretty decent.
  • Quote
Whoa! Just voted for The Devil Made Me Do It because I assumed it must be getting blown out by the super-talented Aesop Rock.

Aespo Rock is one of my favorite rappers with both Labor Days & Float being personal faves. Harkan beat me to nominating Aesop Rock via Labor Days by literally a few minutes. I remember being actually psyched at the time because I hadn't heard Skelethon yet. Now I'm more ambivalent.

Anyways, as Skinny & Drak mention, side A of The Devil Made Me Do It scores pretty high in the "dark & claustrophobic" department ๐Ÿ˜œ and still hits me twenty-plus years later. Here's what I wrote when I nonmed it....

Quote:
One of my faves from growing up along with It Takes A Nation of Millions, By All Means Necessary, and AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted. All potent political albums with a great sense of urgency.

Hadn't listened to it in ages until last night and forgot how powerful, emotionally charged, and HEAVY the beginning of The Devil Made Me Do It is. I was on the brink of tears it was so great so it seemed liked a slam dunk nom. Childhood fave, something everyone should hear, etc. But the second side just doesn't sound as urgent as the first side. To be fair, the first side is so emotionally charged it's probably damn near impossible to keep that up. I was definitely being hyperbolic when I said the second side sounded like b sides. It's not bad at all. Just not nearly as dope as side A. Still vital after all these years.



Weirdly enough, I think Skelethon actually improves over the course of the album despite starting off a little weak compared to his early years. I still really need to give it a few more touches though...
  • Quote
Oh boy. I'm totally regretting my nostalgic vote for my nom here. ๐Ÿ˜•

I clearly have fond feelings for The Devil Made Me Do It but it really doesn't compare to Skeleton's dystopian, cyberpunk landscapes. Skelethon's a total grower of an album that divulges new delicious secrets with each listen. There's really no one else like Aesop Rock, and I'm pretty positive Skelethon will eventually claim a respectable place next to his past classics given time.
  • Quote
The Devil always loses in the end

10-9


Skelethon advances.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12
Page 2 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] CLOSED - 750: Round 2: Skelethon v. A... Precedent Tournaments
2013 ALC #4: The Devil Put Dinosaurs ... Guest Music
Playing Devil's Advocate Guest Music
[ Poll ] CLOSED - 750: Round 1: Tical v. Play ... Precedent Tournaments
[ Poll ] 750: Round 2: Take Me To Your Leader ... Hayden Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.