What album are you listening to right now?

Goto page Previous  123 ... 698769886989 ... 219272192821929  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:
So Jake Xerxes Fussell is more definitive of Southern American folk music than Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie, Bessie Smith, the Carter Family, Robert Johnson, etc.? Not only is it hard to believe, it's laughable. And I don't need to be from the South to see that.


All I said is that it may be the definitive album in its genre. Also, I wouldn't put any of those artists in the same genre as Fussell...unless you're one of those people who just consider all southern music "country."

Quite frankly, even if I lumped all of these very different artists into one group, I would consider the Fussell album to be far superior to anything released by those listed. Ultimately, this is just my opinion, no need to write off the record's achievements just because one guy "overrates it" or whatever you're attempting to accuse me of.
  • Quote
LevonTostig wrote:
All I said is that it may be the definitive album in its genre. Also, I wouldn't put any of those artists in the same genre as Fussell...unless you're one of those people who just consider all southern music "country."

Quite frankly, even if I lumped all of these very different artists into one group, I would consider the Fussell album to be far superior to anything released by those listed. Ultimately, this is just my opinion, no need to write off the record's achievements just because one guy "overrates it" or whatever you're attempting to accuse me of.


Well, they're all folk musicians from the South of America, whose work actually goes some way to defining "Southern American folk music". Now, you're more than entitled to prefer a 2015 album to any of the artists I listed, but to argue that it is possibly more "definitive" of Southern American folk music than the work of those artists is plainly ridiculous.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
paladisiac wrote:
make or break?


WZO by Hello, Blue Roses


How the hell did I not know about a new Dan Bejar release? I don't deserve this avatar.

Thanks for giving me the info, listening now.

Edit: damn it, none of these songs are even written by Dan, just his wife. Still nice though.


Last edited by Silver on 02/24/2015 23:58; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:
Well, they're all folk musicians from the South of America, whose work actually goes some way to defining "Southern American folk music". Now, you're more than entitled to prefer a 2015 album to any of the artists I listed, but to argue that it is possibly more "definitive" of Southern American folk music than the work of those artists is plainly ridiculous.


How is a work made up largely of pre-depression era songs, songs that created the genre, less definitive of that genre than Hank Williams? (who I do enjoy quite a bit, actually. I'm also aware that Williams' catalogue is made up of music literally built on the foundation the songs on the Fussell album make up)
  • Quote
LevonTostig wrote:
How is a work made up largely of pre-depression era songs, songs that created the genre, less definitive of that genre than Hank Williams? (who I do enjoy quite a bit, actually. I'm also aware that Williams' catalogue is made up of music literally built on the foundation the songs on the Fussell album make up)


The point I'm trying to make is that an album recorded in this day and age cannot possibly define a genre whose defining feature is the fact that it offers a snapshot into a specific time and place. The earliest and most prominent recorded works define a genre; later artists can offer their take or possibly even remould, but they cannot define.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is that an album recorded in this day and age cannot possibly define a genre whose defining feature is the fact that it offers a snapshot into a specific time and place. The earliest and most prominent recorded works define a genre; later artists can offer their take or possibly even remould, but they cannot define.


It seems this is where we fundamentally disagree. Ultimately, though, it's a pretty trivial distinction when the real focus ought to be the quality of the Fussell album. Which, if you haven't heard, you should. ๐Ÿ˜„
  • Quote

Crosby, Stills & Nash by Crosby, Stills & Nash
Rolling Stone Top 500 #262 (239/500)

Possibly better than Deja Vu. Really good. ๐Ÿค”
_________________


2023
2022
  • Quote
Patman360 wrote:

Crosby, Stills & Nash by Crosby, Stills & Nash
Rolling Stone Top 500 #262 (239/500)

Possibly better than Deja Vu. Really good. :-k


Clearly its better than Deja Vu. ๐Ÿ˜œ It has Guinnevere on it.


Echo by Yukari

This is amazing.
Now everyone check out the chart I snatched this from: Age of Discovery by Gowienczyk
  • Quote

Behind Your Eyelids by Panic Is Perfect

They're so good oh my god ... if you like Vampire Weekend, TDCC, Griswolds, Strokes, indie pop-ish rock-ish, please go check this out, do yourself a favor.
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote

Gentlemen by The Afghan Whigs

New topic  Closed Move by albummaster on 02/13/2025 16:16
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 698769886989 ... 219272192821929  Next
Page 6988 of 21929


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: User Listening Log Masterlist mickilennial Music Diaries
What album are you listening to right... danfaitz Music
What ***VINYL*** album are you listen... RoundTheBend Music
What note are you listening to right ... GARY Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.