You must listen to the album below you.

Goto page Previous  123 ... 115116117 ... 197198199  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:

Quote:
rocky



Sgùrr by Thy Catafalque


Really excellent

From the music diary:
Quote:
I've always found Thy Catafalque an impressive venture. Tamás Kátai is able to throw all kinds of things together into one pot and create something incredible. Perhaps what's most impressive about Thy Catafalque in general, and especially on this album, is not necessarily that Kátai plays around with a bunch of different styles (from metal to electronic to ambient), but that all of these styles often seem to be occurring simultaneously. It's this gigantic mixing bowl of musical styles, and somehow it works. This album might be the best I've heard from Kátai, it's quite the journey. The sequencing of the songs is nearly perfect, everything flows together smoothly making the front-to-back listening of this exceptionally rewarding. With dashes of metal and ambient, hard-driving drums, riff-heavy guitars, this makes for a unique and exceptionally impressive album.


Gowi:


Romances by Kaada/Patton
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Romances by Kaada/Patton


Seems like a lot of neat textures going on here. Might have to re-listen a few times to really have a in-depth opinion on it; maybe give it another listen tonight. I did like it well enough, though.

Quote:
rocky



Aldas by Dalriada
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:
here I've got one for you

Fourfold Remedy by Velocette


kinda of airy and sweet, although still catchy! Sometimes a bit too soft and muted for my tastes, although it does stretch out beyond that often enough (sometimes in spectacular fashion) that is kind of its main tone and I'm not in love with it. Overall though I really had fun with it. Its like space twee.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:

Quote:
rocky



Aldas by Dalriada


From the music diary:

Quote:
There's so much going on here, it's hard to take it all in at once. Dalriada do folk metal about as well as you can do it, I've heard plenty of folk metal that feels off, the folk instruments feel out of place or feel shoehorned in, but the use of flute and violin on this album is excellent and it fits in perfectly. In general, this album is musically fantastic, it doesn't stay the same for long at all, each song switches up tempos and rhythms with such ease and fluidity , it's impressive. The harmonies are tight, the guitar work is excellent, this is just a really musically absorbing album, you can get lost in the technicalities if you really wanted to. This is, without a doubt, one of the better metal albums of the year.


For Gowi:


Digital Solutions by Model 500
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote

Modal Soul by Nujabes

This thread ought to be resurrected
_________________


Memo to myself:
Do the dumb things I gotta do
Touch the puppet head
  • Quote
You WILL say thank you 😄


The Living Road by Lhasa De Sela
  • Quote
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Digital Solutions by Model 500


Good high points (“Hi NRG”, “Encounter”, “Station”) but I wasn’t too interested beyond that. I’m terrible at commenting about electronic music so I’ll leave it at that.

Quote:
whoever is next



We Slept At Last by Marika Hackman
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Digital Solutions by Model 500


Good high points (“Hi NRG”, “Encounter”, “Station”) but I wasn’t too interested beyond that. I’m terrible at commenting about electronic music so I’ll leave it at that.

just gonna jump in and say this is far from the best entry point into the wonderful world of the many aliases of Juan Atkins, and Gowi if you want stuff that's kinda like this but much much better in every way then you might wanna check out... actually given the nature of this thread I'll just make you listen to it 😉

20 Years Of Metroplex: 1985-2005 by Juan Atkins


Rocky will edit in my thing for your album (y'know the one I said I'd get to "later tonight" like a month ago? lol I'm amazing)
  • Quote
nachosbob wrote:

Modal Soul by Nujabes

This thread ought to be resurrected


Really really liked this. Very jazzy hip-hop, the production is excellent, the jazz tracks are really smooth and awesome, creates a very relaxing atmosphere, and unique enough that it doesn't sound like "another jazz hip-hop album", it creates it's own way, and a lot of that has to do with Nujabes ability to rap. His lyrics are really great, his use of imagery and his references flow incredibly smoothly, they don't stick out, it all melds together as one, which is great. I'm especially a big fan of this:

I'm just a vagabond with flowers for Algernon/The average Joe who knows what the fuck is going on/It's the hope of my thoughts that I travel upon/Fly like an arrow of god until I'm gone

Beautifully done, this whole album is, from a musical and lyrical perspective.



One more for you dbz (if you haven't heard it):


On Top by The Heptones
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:


20 Years Of Metroplex: 1985-2005 by Juan Atkins


An obviously solid compilation of Model 500, Cybotron, and other projects. I have a fairly strong reception to this despite it probably not being my mood to listen to early in the morning. But much like rock and pop formats I feel like I’d prefer it in a LP context (I’m already a fan of Cybotron, btw) even though that often times doesn’t really fit electronic music. An obviously solid compilation of Model 500, Cybotron, and other projects. I have a fairly strong reception to this despite it probably not being my mood to listen to early in the morning. But much like rock and pop formats I feel like I’d prefer it in a LP context (I’m already a fan of Cybotron, btw) even though that often times doesn’t really fit electronic music. Honestly I’m not quite sure why I’m still a bit anti-compilation at this point, but the stigma still feels burdening and present no matter what I’m listening to. Perhaps it is the discontent towards “best of” records which are generally in my eyes always pointless. It’s difficult to think otherwise but I’ll keep listening to compilations.

Quote:
Rocky



Codex Atlanticus by Serenity

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 115116117 ... 197198199  Next
Page 116 of 199


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below yo... baystateoftheart Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.