Album of the day (#1888): Dookie by Green Day

Goto page Previous  12345  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
Well, whilst the terminology itself does sound like an oxymoron it really isnโ€™t when you dissect it. All it does is following the standards set down by The Ramones who obviously used pop hooks and such within a punk landscape. No matter how you feel about the term, it is legitimate and it does mean something. While I have a hard time calling Green Day straight out pop-punk they do have plenty in common with the genreโ€™s predecessors of the time (Screeching Weasel, The Vandals, The Vindictives, The Dickies, etc).

Quote:
but listen to Molly's Lips and tell me that's not pop punk, but that's just me).


It's not.

Pop-Punk sounds like this:

This
This
This
This
This
This
This
and This



First, cool selection above.

Second... hmm, for me this sounds a lot like those listed above as pop punk... upbeat beat, simple lyrics, the whole 9 yards, but alas... opinions... hehe


Link
  • Quote
My favorite version of "She" is from

Dressed To Kill by Kiss

Does that make me a JMan?
  • Quote
Satie wrote:
I like this and American Idiot better than I like most rock albums, tbh.
  • Quote
@Seth:

Nirvana had a lot of influenced, but I always thought their noise punk trappings were always the primary sound to come out of their material. Like Molly's Lips seems like a song influenced by Buzzcocks and the like sure, but also has the trappings of the likes of Flipper, Scratch Acid, and others. But I suppose that is why Nirvana was as standout as they were: mixing their influences seamlessly yet having their own identity. They leaned to influences periodically but you always knew it was a Nirvana song whether it was more noise rock, more grunge scene, pop-influenced rock or whatever.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:


Quote:
but listen to Molly's Lips and tell me that's not pop punk, but that's just me).


It's not.

Pop-Punk sounds like this:

This
This
This
This
This
This
This
and This


I really thought we were talking about the original version of Molly's Lips not Nirvana's cover and was even more confused.

Anyways, Gowi's stuff is always a good resource and really different than this but shameless plug for this starter pack:

Like Pizza, Hate Home, Miss Girl - History of Pop Punk by benpaco
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote
benpaco wrote:
I really thought we were talking about the original version of Molly's Lips not Nirvana's cover and was even more confused.

Anyways, Gowi's stuff is always a good resource and really different than this but shameless plug for this starter pack:

Like Pizza, Hate Home, Miss Girl - History of Pop Punk by benpaco


You know my list is better, right? SHORT BUT SWEET. Jokes aside, I do have issues with the later pages of your list for my personal preferences but it is a good catalog nonetheless.
  • Quote
One of the first albums I liked. Of all the Green Day albums, Dookie and American Idiot hold up, and I can do without the rest.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
benpaco wrote:
I really thought we were talking about the original version of Molly's Lips not Nirvana's cover and was even more confused.

Anyways, Gowi's stuff is always a good resource and really different than this but shameless plug for this starter pack:

Like Pizza, Hate Home, Miss Girl - History of Pop Punk by benpaco


You know my list is better, right? SHORT BUT SWEET. Jokes aside, I do have issues with the later pages of your list for my personal preferences but it is a good catalog nonetheless.


Dude I honestly had not seen this and there's some stuff I'll have to check on there. Nice to see the hi-fives, they make up 1/3 of the dennery bands (the others being Sweet Baby and Bomb Bassets). As to everything on my chart from about ... 2005-present, it's a bit hit or miss as to whether it's a thing I enjoy, such as hotelier or the new mayday, or if it shaped the scene, such as wonder years or fob.
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
@Seth:

Nirvana had a lot of influenced, but I always thought their noise punk trappings were always the primary sound to come out of their material. Like Molly's Lips seems like a song influenced by Buzzcocks and the like sure, but also has the trappings of the likes of Flipper, Scratch Acid, and others. But I suppose that is why Nirvana was as standout as they were: mixing their influences seamlessly yet having their own identity. They leaned to influences periodically but you always knew it was a Nirvana song whether it was more noise rock, more grunge scene, pop-influenced rock or whatever.


Ok so we are more or less on the same page. I suppose I lump them more into pop punk because of their punk but then Beatle influences... I mean they told Geffen records they wanted to be the biggest band ever... so maybe not ALWAYS pop in sound, but I think they wanted that bittersweet mix of true punk and true pop music (meaning music for the masses, not the genre). What's funny about that though is they were against corporate rock/"the masses"... so using some terms as thy are normally understood just don't make sense when talking about Nirvana... but you probably KNOW better than me... I can only say what I say from my experiences.
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:

I think they wanted that bittersweet mix of true punk and true pop music (meaning music for the masses, not the genre).


This by the way is my favorite artist... the artist that can both make the college professor AND the construction worker come together for the same thing... a connection through music. If an artist can do it all (be a "pop" artist and give the finger to the man), he has much more respect from me than just a pop artist or just a punk rocker... some how straddling both of those for me is the ticket worth buying.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345  Next
Page 3 of 5


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
Album of the day (#359): American Idi... BestEverAlbums Music
[ Poll ] Best Green Day Album? hereforashortime Music
[ Poll ] What is your favorite Green Day album? Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.