NEW TIJUANA MOODS
1986-RCA
Produced By STEVE BACKER
1. Dizzy Moods
2. Ysabel's Table Dance
3. Tijuana Gift Shop
4. Los Mariachis (The Street Musicians)
5. Flamingo
6. Dizzy Moods (Alternate Take)
7. Tijuana Gift Shop (Alternate Take)
8. Los Mariachis (The Street Musicians)(Alternate Take)
9. Flamingo (Alternate Take)
Recorded in 1957 and released originally in 1962 as Tijuana Moods, this has been considered one of the top recordings by bassist Charles Mingus. That the newer release almost repeats itself with alternate takes is frustrating, but the music is excellent both times around. "Ysabel's Table Dance" is amazing, but the other tracks have merit as well. Mingus considered this his best recording, and his band, particularly Clarence Shaw (sax) and Shafi Hadi (trumpet) are top notch. A true jazz classic from one of the very best.
Mingus died in the 70's of Lou Gehrig's disease while working on the Joni Mitchell album Mingus. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
ROSSINGTON COLLINS BAND
ANYTIME, ANYPLACE, ANYWHERE
1980-MCA
Produced By GARY ROSSINGTON, ALLEN COLLINS & BARRY HARWOOD
1. Prime Time
2. Three Times As Bad
3. Don't Misunderstand Me
4. One Good Man
5. Opportunity
6. Getaway
7. Winners And Losers
8. Misery Loves Company
9. Sometimes You Can Put It Out
The Rossington Collins band is the Lynyrd Skynyrd reunion. They replaced Artimus Pyle (who has been in a car accident and couldn't participate) with Derek Hess. Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines, who were killed in the plane crash, were replaced by female singer Dale Krantz and guitarist Barry Harwood. The band had Skynyrd's 3 guitar attack, as well as Billy Powell on keyboards and Leon Wilkerson on bass. But this doen't sound a lot like Skynyrd. Replacing Van Zant with Krantz (who sang backup with .38 Special) gives everything a strange feel. The raspy voiced Krantz just doesn't have the same power that Ronnie did, and the songs, while layered with guitars, aren't as strong as any of Skynyrd's albums. "Don't Misunderstand Me" was a hit, but this band wasn't going to ever replace Lynyrd Skynyrd.
After this album, Allen Collins lost his wife and began deteriorating, which was the beginning of the end. He ended up in a car crash that left him paralyzed in 1986, and he died in 1990. Rossington and Krantz married. Rossington is the only remaining original member in what is left of the current Lynyrd Skynyrd. This album is just okay...nothing too special about it. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe In Me
3. That's Not Me
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I'm Waiting For The Day
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile
7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows
9. I Know There's An Answer
10. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline No
14. Unreleased Backgrounds
15. Hang On To Your Ego
16. Trombone Dixie
What an album. Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, and Elton John have all gushed over it, and George Martin has said that Sgt Pepper was an attempt to equal it. This is Brian Wilson's masterpiece. Using strange instrumentation and layers of simply beautiful vocals, it was Pet Sounds that set the bar for creative albums in the 60's. While the rest of the band was dumbfounded by what was going on, their vocal abilities can't be denied. And the songs are great as well. "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Sloop John B", "Caroline No"...all excellent songs. This is one you must have.
The last 3 tracks are new to the 1990 release, with "Hang On To Your Ego" being an alternate version of "I know There's An Answer" (and it's actually better). One of the top 5 albums of the rock era. A great accomplishment. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
MALDITA VECINDAD Y LOS HIJOS DEL QUINTO PATIO
EL CIRCO
1991-ARIOLA
Produced By GUSTAVO SANTAOLALLA
1. Pachuco
2. Un Poco De Sangre
3. Tono
4. Solin
5. Kumbala
6. Un Gran Circo
7. Pata De Perro
8. Crudelia
9. Mare
10. Otra
11. Querida
There isn't much I can tell you about this, because it's all in Spanish. The band name translates to The Damned Neighborhood & The Sons Of The 5th Patio. They are from Mexico, and the music is a cross between rock, ska, and more traditional forms of Mexican music. I know that this is their second album, and that Mexican critics have called it the Spanish Sgt. Pepper. Outside of that, it's mysterious.
What I do know is that this album sounds great. It's creative, fresh and moves at a great pace. If only I knew what they were saying...but it's always a great listen. One of the best Spanish language albums I have heard, by far. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
BETH NIELSEN CHAPMAN
YOU HOLD THE KEY
1993-REPRISE
Produced By FRANK FILIPETTI
1. I Don't Know
2. You Hold The Key
3. Dance With Me Slow
4. Say It To Me Now
5. When I Feel This Way
6. Rage On Rage
7. Only So Many Tears
8. In The Time It Takes
9. You Say You Will
10. The Moment You Were Mine
11. Faithful Heart
12. Dancer To The Drum
Beth Nielsen Chapman is known primarily for two things. She replaced Tommy Shaw in the band Harmony when Shaw left to join Styx. And her songs are much better, and have been more successful, in the hands of other artists. Having written many hits for mostly country artists, Chapman's own recordings are straight Adult Contemporary...in other words, pretty boring. You Hold The Key is her second album, and it's about as inoffensive, slick and forgettable as AC gets. She has a nice voice, but not a spectacular one. The songs are weighed down with AC keyboards, and there are too many ballads. "You Say You Will" is the highlight, a song where she drops the schmooze and sounds a lot like Bonnie Raitt. The best known song from this is "In The Time It Takes"...a duet with Paul Carrack.
Better left alone. Unless you're trying to read yourself to sleep with background noise. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
1. Bulldog Baby
2. I'm Not A Saint
3. Here Comes The Big Rush
4. Iris Art
5. The World Is Flat
6. Everyone Knows Better
7. Wired On
8. O
9. Bleed
10. Paradise
11. Angel B
12. Lustra
13. Heroes In June
14. Mouth Almighty
15. Drive Myself Distracted
16. Falling Flame
17. Holding The Wire
After their first two albums reached the British top 10, Echobelly released Lustra in 1997. The release came amid health problems (a life threatening thyroid problem for singer Sonya Madan), personnel changes (guitarist Debbie Smith left after the recording, and is not pictured or credited on the album), and legal issues with their label. The album, and the single "The World Is Flat", sold poorly, sending the band into a four year hiatus and taking them pretty much off the radar as one of England's bright lights.
Which is too bad. Because Lustra is actually a very fine album. It's very long at 17 tracks, but it's also loaded with great songs and great hooks. Madan, who is from India and never even saw a rock show until she was in college, soars above the heaviness of the band. You can pretty much pick any track from Lustra and it gets your attention. Their first two albums got most of the press, but Lustra as a whole is better. A lost gem of the 90's. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
THE BEATLES
PAST MASTERS VOLUME 1
1988-PARLOPHONE
Produced By GEORGE MARTIN
1. Love Me Do
2. From Me To You
3. Thank You Girl
4. She Loves You
5. I'll Get You
6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
7. This Boy
8. Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
9. Sie Liebt Dich
10. Long Tall Sally
11. I Call Your Name
12. Slow Down
13. Matchbox
14. I Feel Fine
15. She's A Woman
16. Bad Boy
17. Yes It Is
18. I'm Down
When it came time to reissue The Beatles catalog on CD in 1988, the decision was made to use the British album versions. This left a large handful of songs without albums (American releases like The Beatles VI and Hey Jude were now out the window). The solution was the two volume Past Masters series. Volume one contains songs from 1962-65 that were left without albums to call home, as they were not on any of the British albums. Most are from singles, with 4 being from the Long Tall Sally EP, and "Bad Boy", which was an American only release.
This series enables you to be able to have every song that The Beatles released during their career on CD. The series is a necessity for a complete catalog, and it's all great music. A must have for any Beatles fan. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
The series is a necessity for a complete catalog, and it's all great music. A must have for any Beatles fan.
While I definitely agree it's a "must-have" for any Beatles fan, do you think that Thank You Girl and I'll Get You are "great music" too ? For me they're rather curiosities, absolutely epitomising the notion of a filler, something that ideally fits the portrait of a 1963 B-side.
Anyway, Bad Boy, She's a Woman and I'm Down all rock and are among their best early work. _________________ Always shouts out something obscene
While I definitely agree it's a "must-have" for any Beatles fan, do you think that Thank You Girl and I'll Get You are "great music" too ? For me they're rather curiosities, absolutely epitomising the notion of a filler, something that ideally fits the portrait of a 1963 B-side.
Anyway, Bad Boy, She's a Woman and I'm Down all rock and are among their best early work.
Those songs may not be their best work ("I'll Get You" is the better of the two), but they do also have merit. The harmony lines on "Thank You Girl" are really good, and "I'll Get You" is a nice bit of songwriting, especially given how early on in their career it was. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
DAVID BOWIE
CHANGESBOWIE
1990-RYKO
Various Producers
1. Space Oddity
2. John, I'm Only Dancing
3. Changes
4. Ziggy Stardust
5. Suffragette City
6. Jean Genie
7. Diamond Dogs
8. Rebel Rebel
9. Young Americans
10. Fame '90 Remix
11. Golden Years
12. Heroes
13. Ashes To Ashes
14. Fashion
15. Let's Dance
16. China Girl
17. Modern Love
18. Blue Jean
From the 1969 mainstream introduction of "Space Oddity" through the 1984 album Tonight, David Bowie enjoyed an unusually long and fruitful period of relevance and great music. To be consistently on top and evolving for 15 years in the music business is quite an accomplishment, and Bowie pulled it off. Changesbowie is a combination of the previously released albums Changesone and Changestwo. All of the big hits are here, a testament to his hit writing ability. He had many other great songs...if you're into his music, get the individual albums. But this is a good look at a man who changed his image more times than Madonna ever dreamed, and who stayed ahead of the curve for a long, long time. This gets points over the 2 disc set The Singles, as it leaves the period after 1984 alone.
On the vinyl release, additional songs were included: "Starman", "Life On Mars?" and "Sound And Vision". This set gets docked half a star for the hideous replacement of the great song "Fame" (co written and featuring guitar by John Lennon) with an inferior and pointless remix. _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum