Can music be porn, and do you avoid it?

Goto page Previous  12345678
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
why all the disparaging comments associated with femininity tho
  • Quote
I'm, uh, I'm glad I stayed away from this one. I guess.

Saying as though the definition of pornography is something that is made purely for sexual arousal, not artistic value, then a lot of music would not fit that definition, case closed. However, if an artist's attire, attitude, etc. are meant to provoke lust, and only lust, and it has nothing to do with the artistic value of their music or character, then I could see it fit a definition of being pornographic. That does not happen very often though, and I can't remember the last time any music gave me a boner, so I can't say I've had to avoid anything for being overtly sexual before.
  • Quote
A better question would be whether or not we dismiss a certain artist's talent based on how they look. I find that many people (perhaps not on here) regard those who are 'more attractive' as people who are incapable at having any other talent at all, particularly (women) in the film industry. Has there ever been an artist you're all like 'they're too attractive/sexual to be considered cool'?

There have definitely been cases in recent memory where the artistic quality of overtly sexual material has come up... when Elfriede Jelinek won the Nobel there was an uproar. I find no issue in oversexualization in the music industry as long as the music's good. Someone like Prince definitely comes to mind, perhaps Iggy Pop, Mick Jagger, etc...


And Britney's definitely had more misses than hits, but Toxic's still a banger.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Fischman wrote:
Even though it was an honest question from someone clearly expressing his acknowledged limitations of his own knowledge base, and wanting to expand his understanding?

Geez, if you weren't so quick to get your panties in a bunch, you might have actually been able to help enlighten someone who was looking for enlightenment, and to bring some understanding to others who need it.

But rather, you chose to act hurt and just perpetuate a stereotype by being yet another victim/drama queen.


If Gowi doesn't want to talk about something personal, he doesn't have to full stop, nor should you or anyone else disparage him for doing so.

I would appreciate it if we kept this on topic and away from personally attacking other members here.
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Even though it was an honest question from someone clearly expressing his acknowledged limitations of his own knowledge base, and wanting to expand his understanding?

Geez, if you weren't so quick to get your panties in a bunch, you might have actually been able to help enlighten someone who was looking for enlightenment, and to bring some understanding to others who need it.

But rather, you chose to act hurt and just perpetuate a stereotype by being yet another victim/drama queen.


If Gowi doesn't want to talk about something personal, he doesn't have to full stop, nor should you or anyone else disparage him for doing so.

I would appreciate it if we kept this on topic and away from personally attacking other members here.


I agree 100%. If he doesn't want to discuss it, that should be the end of it. The problem arises when he jumps into calling the question offensive when it wasn't inherently offensive and he just chose to receive it as such. I tire of people jumping straight to playing the victim when no attack was offered.

Rant over. I'll stay on topic from this point forward.
  • Quote
Fischman wrote:

Rant over. I'll stay on topic from this point forward.


Thank you
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345678
Page 8 of 8


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Avoid the Disparity Jabapac Suggestions
What would your porn star nickname be? Guest Lounge
songs you can listen to on repeat ove... paladisiac Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.