You must listen to the album below you.

Goto page Previous  123 ... 168169170 ... 197198199  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:
Oh yeah, that makes sense, I guess. Though I'd argue Roots, There's No Place Like Anerica Today, and Curtis/Live!, as well as a couple of Impressions albums (This Is My Country, and The Young Mods' Forgotten Story), are essentially on a par with those two. It's a bit unfair if people only tend to remember the two you mentioned.


Yeah those are all great too, Mayfield is most definitely on the Mt. Rushmore of soul music, but if I were introducing someone to Curtis Mayfield, then I'm probably going with those two. Not that I always follow the canon ranking of an artists albums, but I think, in this case, it's fairly accurate. Roots would probably be better than Curtis if I really got out the compass and abacus to do some pinpoint calculating.
  • Quote
I agree with Skinny that he made more than two classics, but let's not overlook this classic in that discussion - one of his top three records:


Back To The World by Curtis Mayfield
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:


....Could you tell me anything about this Australian album PurplePash?


Ball Power by Coloured Balls


I can't tell you anything. I hadn't heard of them before, and that's a shame because this is great!! Aussie pub rock that is a little bit garage rock, a lot blues rock, and almost proto-punk at times. Human Being, the centrepiece of the album is an excellent song, and the epic closer That's What Mama Said is even better and the highlight of the album for me. This album should be more well known and not such an underground obscurity. More people with an interest in early Australian alternative music history should listen to this. Thanks for the rec. I'll be listening again for sure!!!

For you Rocka, my favourite Australian album from the 70s.


Door, Door by The Boys Next Door
  • Quote
Well, this game sounds fun! Can I play ?
  • Quote
From the Rocka:

Mangy Love by Cass McCombs

Oh man, I hated this. The last song was very good, but the rest of it was just not.

guzguzgarbit wrote:
Well, this game sounds fun! Can I play ?


Yup! I looked at your overall -- man, what a chart! Great stuff in there.

How about trying this out:

The Problem With Me by Seam
_________________
Some New Ordeal (Spotify/iTunes/Deezer)
  • Quote
carpents wrote:
From the Rocka:

Mangy Love by Cass McCombs

Oh man, I hated this. The last song was very good, but the rest of it was just not.

Yup! I looked at your overall -- man, what a chart! Great stuff in there.

How about trying this out:

The Problem With Me by Seam


That is fascinating to me. Not liking it, I'm OK with that. Hated it? That seems interesting to me. The artists on your chart would suggest that his kind of music would be up your alley (Sufjan Stevens is often counted as a related artist, whom I don't care for, but I probably don't hate him). Care to elaborate?
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
That is fascinating to me. Not liking it, I'm OK with that. Hated it? That seems interesting to me. The artists on your chart would suggest that his kind of music would be up your alley (Sufjan Stevens is often counted as a related artist, whom I don't care for, but I probably don't hate him). Care to elaborate?


I'm admittedly not the most erudite person when it comes to reviewing music, but even so I was having trouble understanding why I disliked it so much. Maybe it's subconscious; I did have a job working at a Subway in the 90s which subjected me to day after day of the exact same soft rock rotation and I think I'm traumatized forever from it. Maybe it reminded me of something in that rotation?

I'll also add that my music taste doesn't always make sense. But that's why I'm here, to explore new stuff.
_________________
Some New Ordeal (Spotify/iTunes/Deezer)
  • Quote
I listened to this suggested by carpents :

The Problem With Me by Seam

And I must admit this is a good album. It somehow manages to combine the post rock / shoegaze wave that was floating around at the time while still keeping his own style. I was a bit disappointed by the last three tracks though, for some reason I don't find them as good as the others.

Ok, my turn to suggest an album, so here you go:


Distance And Time by Fink
  • Quote

Door, Door by The Boys Next Door

Nick Cave and The Birthday Party in their primordial state. Decent post-punk album, but it's not up to the same quality as later material.

Guzguzarbit, it seems your chart lacks stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, so let's try something from one of those decades.


Desolation Boulevard by Sweet
  • Quote
From Tha1ChiefRocka:

Desolation Boulevard by Sweet
This was a pleasant listen. I liked a lot the sound mixing for some reason. It's different from most of what i've listened from that time. Some of the tracks were pretty good too, like Medusa (or Medussa?) or The Man With The Golden Arm. All of this makes it quite an interesting album. But there is too much "hit" tracks for my taste, like that cover of My Generation.

It's hard to suggest something to someone with ten times more albums listened than me, but I don't think you've heard a lot of techno. Why don't you try this out:

A Raver's Diary by Dusty Kid

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 168169170 ... 197198199  Next
Page 169 of 199


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below yo... baystateoftheart Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.