Get To Know A Top 10: May 2019 Thread - Tha1ChiefRocka

Goto page Previous  1234567  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
Le Monde Fabuleux Des Yamasuki by Yamasuki Singers:
0%
 0%  [0]
Mistérios Da Amazônia by Carioca & Devas:
11%
 11%  [1]
The October Suite by Steve Kuhn:
11%
 11%  [1]
Continente Nero by Piero Umiliani:
11%
 11%  [1]
Beguiled by Tim Story:
11%
 11%  [1]
Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 6 'At The End Of The Day' / Terrains Vagues by Thomas Dausgaard / Danish National Symphony Orchestra:
0%
 0%  [0]
UV by Frankenstein:
0%
 0%  [0]
Queen Hygiene II / Rough Day At The Orifice by Arab On Radar:
11%
 11%  [1]
Glide by Peter Davison:
11%
 11%  [1]
Exploded View by Steve Tibbetts:
33%
 33%  [3]
Total Votes : 9

  • Quote

Beguiled by Tim Story

Since the discussion on this one already started a bit, here are my feelings.

This album works for me as wallpaper music and as a piece that can be listened to closely in equal measure. Like Bay said, that can often be a hard thing to do with this kind of music, and this is one that does it easily. It's not genius, but it feels like the work of someone who deeply understands how to create drama and tension with a piece of music. I could equally hear this being used as the soundtrack to a soap opera or a thinking man's Aaron Sorkin movie. It's just versatile.
  • Quote

Continente Nero by Piero Umiliani

Hey, it's a two-for-one kind of night. Now, I'm sure that some of you are already familiar with Umiliani, soundtrack extraordinaire. Listening to this one again it's not quite as great as I recalled, but it's still pretty solid. I think it drifts off by the end, but it starts out very strong. The album has a very broad sound palette that includes horns, strings, and various African-sounding percussion.
  • Quote
Wow again.... really loved Continente Nero.

I agree, it could finish stronger, but there's so much great material there, I'm not going to hold that against it!

Another fantastic selection! Very entertaining.
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Now, I'm sure that some of you are already familiar with Umiliani


I imagine many people are without even knowing it


Link


psyched to give this one a spin, he does some rly great stuff
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Mistérios Da Amazônia by Carioca & Devas

If there was a Brazillian album that shreds (that's not Sepultura) then I think this might be it. The whole album is pretty good, but the highlights for sure are track 4 and the epic b side track. It really does make you feel like you've stumbled across some lost Amazonian tribe deep in the jungle. I'm curious as to what the people on this site with more Brazilian album listens think of this one. I quite like it.


Idk if I have more Brazilian listens than you (probably?). This was quite good. I preferred the more focused side a to the cool but overly meandering side b. To your lost tribe sentence, it doesn't sound like it's very rooted in indigenous music to me (someone correct me if I'm wrong). More like the music some city-dwellers made inspired by a real or imagined Amazonian adventure.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Exploded View by Steve Tibbetts

Dynamic and varied guitar playing and pulsing percussion make this a really great album. I don't have much else to say about it, I find this guy's stuff to be pretty unique. The guitar playing on the first track is definitely Fripp-inspired, and it's amazing.
  • Quote


If there was a complaint that I could have with this album it would be that a few tracks do sound somewhat similar to one another. But otherwise I love this a lot. Sharing the best qualities of new age of having a lot of heart and just sounding gorgeous. Grade wise it is a 95.

Also will listen to the Unwound album from 2001. Came back from a week of training for more training coming up this week.
  • Quote
I just finished the Tim Story.... another great choice. I love that there is such melody in this largely ambient music. There were a few cuts that just kinda' sat there, but most had real progression and momentum. Very nice indeed.
  • Quote

Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 6 'At The E... Orchestra

I can confidently say I would never have listened to this otherwise. I mean, that probably goes for most of this list, but this one feels superlative in that respect. Anyway, it's relatively captivating classical music that makes great use of tension (if that makes any sense... lol). Enjoyable.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
I generally take to 20th Century nordic composition, and Norgard's 6th is no exception. What a marvelous, powerful symphony!

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1234567  Next
Page 3 of 7


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: The Tournaments Forum Suggestions Thread Guest Tournaments
[ Poll ] Get To Know A Top 10: May 2019 Poll baystateoftheart Music
Get To Know A Top 10: May 2018 Thread... baystateoftheart Music
[ Poll ] Get To Know A Top 10: January 2019 Th... baystateoftheart Music
[ Poll ] Get To Know A Top 10: November 2019 T... baystateoftheart Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.