Elite 8: MGMT v. Tierra Whack

Goto page Previous  12
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Please listen to both albums in full before voting, then choose your favorite.
Little Dark Age by MGMT:
50%
 50%  [9]
Whack World by Tierra Whack:
50%
 50%  [9]
Total Votes : 18

  • Quote
I don't understand this seeming consensus on these threads that Little Dark Age doesn't hold a candle to MGMT's peak. I think it makes a strong case for being their best album. My question for those with this viewpoint is when did you last hear Oracular Spectacular? And is nostalgia factoring at all into favoring it so much over Little Dark Age?

I also wouldn't classify Little Dark Age as just a throwback to the 80s. I would say Little Dark Age sounds like if Ariel Pink were less creepy, more accessible, and had consistently great hooks.

I re-listened to both over the past day. Two great albums, but my potentially decisive vote is going to MGMT.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
Little Dark Age defeats Whack World 9-8 and advances to the final four.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
I don't understand this seeming consensus on these threads that Little Dark Age doesn't hold a candle to MGMT's peak. I think it makes a strong case for being their best album. My question for those with this viewpoint is when did you last hear Oracular Spectacular? And is nostalgia factoring at all into favoring it so much over Little Dark Age?

I also wouldn't classify Little Dark Age as just a throwback to the 80s. I would say Little Dark Age sounds like if Ariel Pink were less creepy, more accessible, and had consistently great hooks.

I re-listened to both over the past day. Two great albums, but my potentially decisive vote is going to MGMT.


I just re-heard Oracular Spectacular too... And I think little dark age definitely holds up, yet again I'm pretty keen on 80s nostalgia.
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
I don't understand this seeming consensus on these threads that Little Dark Age doesn't hold a candle to MGMT's peak. I think it makes a strong case for being their best album. My question for those with this viewpoint is when did you last hear Oracular Spectacular? And is nostalgia factoring at all into favoring it so much over Little Dark Age?

I also wouldn't classify Little Dark Age as just a throwback to the 80s. I would say Little Dark Age sounds like if Ariel Pink were less creepy, more accessible, and had consistently great hooks.

I re-listened to both over the past day. Two great albums, but my potentially decisive vote is going to MGMT.


Since MGMT was essentially new to me within the last year, that this album may not be a major progression beyond what they've done in the past really doesn't mean anything to me.

That's kind of the glory of discovering a group late... you're not concerned with evolution; it's like all the albums are available at once, which curbs expectations and allows for the appreciation of any individual album entirely on its own musical merits, free from influences beyond what is in the sound itself.
  • Quote
It's too bad the tie didn't happen yesterday.

๐Ÿ˜ข

That's ok. If I were a betting person, I would have lost all my money on this tourney (well and if I bet with my tastes instead of other factors).

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12
Page 2 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] Sweet 16: Idles v. Tierra Whack baystateoftheart Tournaments
[ Poll ] Round 1: Playboi Carti v. Tierra Whack baystateoftheart Tournaments
[ Poll ] Championship Match: MGMT v. Kacey Mus... baystateoftheart Tournaments
[ Poll ] Final 4: MGMT v. Low baystateoftheart Tournaments
[ Poll ] Sweet 16: MGMT v. Mount Eerie baystateoftheart Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.