Billie Holiday vs Ella Fitzgerald

Goto page Previous  12
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Who do you like better?
Billie Holiday:
66%
 66%  [8]
Ella Fitzgerald:
33%
 33%  [4]
Total Votes : 12

  • Quote
Spyglass wrote:
I'm still not seeing it. :P


๐Ÿคฃ
  • Quote
Two astonishingly talented artists. Even though they worked in similar realms, still kind of apples and oranges. Max respect for both, but I definitely find myself listening to Billie more.
  • Quote
Ella all the way for me

She is like pure sunshine, and just one of the most sublime voices.

I am a lifelong fan.
  • Quote
Billie, hands down.

I'm one of the bigger jazz fans on here, but I don't care for scat (except for Louie). Billie's one of the most influential singers of all time, on pop/R&B as well as jazz. Fitzgerald's influential too, but less so outside the jazz world.

craola wrote:
Billie Holiday performing Strange Fruit was possibly the bravest and boldest moment in music history and gets a pretty easy vote from me.

Agree. It makes me cry or at least gives me chills every time I hear it (both versions).

Yann wrote:
God that was close. I went for life affirming Ella rather than beautiful despair Billie (although in a sense life-affirming too, I know). I love both.

Billie's very closely associated with "Strange Fruit," her last album, Lady for Satin, and her work for Verve, when her voice was already in decline. But in the 1930s, when she was young, she recorded just as much for Columbia and a lot of those songs are upbeat, if not outright joyful.

To be fair to Ella, Billie recorded a lot of fluff too, she's just not as closely associated with it.

No matter how down I am, this always makes me happy:


Link
  • Quote
Thanks for the reminder on Ella's scat singing - that is something she excels in over Billie.
  • Quote
RoundTheBend wrote:
Thanks for the reminder on Ella's scat singing - that is something she excels in over Billie.

Ella probably the greatest scat singer of all time and deserves credit for that, but to be fair, Billie never tried to scat, at least on record (she started singing professionally a few years earlier than Ella).

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12
Page 2 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
A Polish holiday Norman Bates Lounge
Change is as good as a holiday videoheadcleaner Music
[ Poll ] CLOSED-2023 BST: Billie Eilish v Blon... cestuneblague Tournaments
Holiday Albums dp39 Music
[ Poll ] Round 1: Billie Eilish v. Christian S... baystateoftheart Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.