BYHH GW2: Group A - 1996 vs. 2012

Goto page Previous  123
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which team do you prefer?
1996:
68%
 68%  [13]
2012:
31%
 31%  [6]
Total Votes : 19

  • Quote
After listening to the albums I was leaning towards 1996, and the singles pushed it over the top. Nothing I dislike on 2012, though I'm iffy on the Rocky single.

Kollage was probably my favorite discovery and the one I'm most likely to come back to. Solid all the way throughout, but I especially liked the closer. The Juggaknots started out really promising but I thought it got a bit less inventive as it went along.

Both of the 2012 albums feel like Run the Jewels lite albums, but that's only with the benefit of hindsight. I guess I disagree with a few other users because I like RTJ for the way their songs sound big and the interplay between the MCs, and neither of these albums really have that. I listened to RAP Music a long time ago and another listen hasn't really changed my opinion of it - some good bars but I've never liked Killer Mike's flow in long doses for a reason I can't really describe. Maybe it sounds a bit unsteady? I think he got a bit more inventive with it on some of the more recent RTJ releases. As for Cancer 4 Cure there are some nice sounds and while El-P has improved on the mic since 2002 this isn't the wild ride that Fantastic Damage or I'll Sleep When You're Dead are. It sounds much closer to the still left-field but not as exciting RTJ production. The highlights were the posse cuts in the middle of the album, especially hearing a pre-Old Danny Brown verse I hadn't heard before.
_________________
And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
  • Quote
1996 wins, 12-6.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123
Page 3 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] BYHH GW2: Group C - 1999 vs. 2004 Skinny Tournaments
[ Poll ] BYHH GW2: Group B - 1994 vs. 2015 Skinny Tournaments
[ Poll ] BYHH GW2: Group D - 1995 vs. 2016 Skinny Tournaments
[ Poll ] BYHH GW2: Group B - 1997 vs. 2002 Skinny Tournaments
[ Poll ] BYHH GW2: Group D - 2000 vs. 2006 Skinny Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.