2025 music

Goto page Previous  123456  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Today's edition of not too shabby for a slab of wax—


Cream (2025) by Kassa Overall
Jazz covers of hip-hop classics— I don't usually go for gimmicky cover albums, but this is pretty cool— Kassa's renditions of Spottieottiedopaliscious and the title track are phenomenal— hoping he does a sequel—


La Linea Del Rubicón (2025) by Architectural
Also not usually my thing, but this short tribal/dubtechno-y release has some pristine production. Worth listening just for the mix. It's like a really good beer—


Áshira (2025) by Gamelan Salukat & Jan Kadereit
Danish-Indonesian gamalan collab— makes for a nice, chill vibe— not as rough or textural as I usually prefer my gamalan, but it's a lovely release that's flown completely under the radar—


Selva Selva (2025) by Wayku
Peruvian Inca-inspired pysch-rock— gets a little sloppy here and there, but I like his style, solid work—


Songs For Other People’s Weddings (2025) by Jens Lekman
Jens! It's Jens! He's back! Accidentally performing at somebody's wedding! Oh, Jens—


Peki Momés (2025) by Peki Momés
(For people who wear sunglasses while riding on the back of a moped through Cihangir at golden hour)—


Strange Heavens (2025) by Linda May Han Oh / Ambrose Akinmusire / Tyshawn Sorey
Linda teams with Akinmusire for an unexpected collab that hits its weight— they tame and focus each other shockingly well— I was having a hard time imagining this being anything but sloppy, with two very prominent bandleaders in different genres trying to weave, but it's really solid— should probably be on my chart—


Music For Babies To Rave And Sleep To (2025) by Graham Smyth
As advertised—


Agg Punk! (2025) by Mal Trip
Do you know egg punk? I didn't know egg punk. No idea. What is egg. What is punk. Egg punk was laid out of the chicken that is Chile-Peru-Colombia-Argentina, like a top-notch football team. I listened to at least a dozen egg punk 'albums' this month. I hope it continues—
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Side—

this is the first time in a number of years (maybe since... 2018?) where I'm completely lost or out-of-the-loop on what the pillar bangers for the year are—

What's... like... the prediction for SOTY on year-end lists n stuff? Where are those tracks at? What are they?—

Help
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Ikr, the vibes are pretty down this year what with the . . . Well you know. The world?

I guess its Golden from Kpop Demon Hunters? I'm pretty partial to Doechii but her last album was 2024 anyway.
  • Quote
Yeah, I’ve not been paying attention so will have missed some bangers, but in 2024 pop made us pay attention.

Nothing stone cold on the new Taylor album, but Opalite comes pretty close and Father Figure is a very good song. Quite a middling album overall, though I’m not too disappointed. After 12 albums, some artistic decline is inevitable and this is still okay.
  • Quote
Edit: I changed my mind: Father Figure is the stone cold banger on The Life of a Showgirl. It’s also the one song to resonate with the album title lyrically and musically (at least in the bridge).
  • Quote
CassidyInc wrote:
Ikr, the vibes are pretty down this year what with the . . . Well you know. The world?


Yeah, I'm feeling that—

Bizarre though— and I'm not familiar with the Kpop Demon Hunter tracks— but I feel SOTY (and top 5, etc all, blah blah) come year-end lists is going to be sporadic. Which, is fun, of course, but I'd just like to know what they are when they're fresh n stuff—

I haven't fallen for Cain's Nettles as so many others seem to have, but maybe that?
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote

I Heard It's A Mess There Too (2025) by Aesop Rock
Man done it again. He done it. He rapped an album. Using all the words—


Orbweaver (2025) by Zosha Warpeha & Mariel Terán
Bolivian/NYC hipsters collab. Sounds like a cherimoya—


Of The Near And Far (2025) by Patricia Brennan
Somewhere between classical and jazz and that drawer in science class with the prisms—


Modern Romance (2025) by Chloe Qisha
Punchy pop from someone who may or may not become the next big UK pop star, dunno, but she's got hooks—


Algo Para Regresar (2025) by Julia Amor
Best New Music: Andorra—


Everyday (2025) by Takuya Kuroda
Kuroda drops another album reminding us jazz is cool and so is he—


Blank In Our Spirits (2025) by Hikaru Yamada & The Librarians
Probably my favourite '25 listen of the month. Throwback to early 00s folktronica, with paint—


In The Wind Of Night, Hard-Fallen Incantations Whisper (2025) by Širom
A reminder musicianship is great thing to have if you're making music—


Clavis Metrica (2025) by Guðmundur Steinn Gunnarsson
The fact this minimalist composition works is mesmerizing. I don't even think it's in key—
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
.

Last edited by II on 01/24/2026 03:23; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Pitchfork's Albums of The Year

Pitchfork's Songs of The Year
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
  • 👍 Repo
i've struggled this year as well. not sure if this is the year i finally "turned old" or what, but i feel like i've come across a lot less dynamite this year than usual.
_________________
follow me on the bandcamp.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123456  Next
Page 5 of 6


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
[ Poll ] 2025 songs tournament NOMINATIONS is ... cestuneblague Tournaments
2025 BRACKETS- Best Song Tournament cestuneblague Tournaments
[ Poll ] 2025 BST Rd3: Evan Fong v Wet Leg cestuneblague Tournaments
2025 LTSings Music Diaries

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.