Cheap Thrills by Big Brother And The Holding Company

Goto page Previous  12
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
I have to confess that I don’t own this and I have no idea why. That will be rectified as soon as I find a good enough copy.

This was the second, and defining studio album by Big Brother and the Holding Company (BB&THC) and established the band, but more importantly, it was the band's final album with lead singer Janis Joplin before she left to begin a solo career.

The first thing to say is that I disapprove of incorporated recordings of crowd noises onto some of the tracks to give the impression of a live album. Not cool folks! For me,
knowing that does diminish the album a little but I’m willing to overlook this heinous act and concentrate on some great songs and great covers galore.

I own the first BB&THC album, and this is a significant improvement on that.

It gets Janis's voice down much better than the first album and feels far better produced.

It’s got some of Janis’s greatest moments in what was a tragically short career. Summertime, Piece Of My Heart, Ball And Chain and Oh’ Sweet Mary are prime examples.
It’s a messy album and I mean that in a good way. A great listen. I need a copy!
  • Quote
So that's it from me for Cheap Thrills

If you have any thoughts on the album please post here

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12
Page 2 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] Anybody like Trust Company? Smithy98 Music
[ Poll ] MST(R3) #55 - Star Wars: A New Hope v... ShaneSpear Tournaments
Who are the best brother or sister ac... bobbyb5 Music
[ Poll ] MST(R2) #45 - O Brother... v Natural ... ShaneSpear Tournaments
[ Poll ] CLOSED - 750: Round 1: The Cold Vein ... Precedent Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.