No responses like "we should appreciate all genres" or "I hate genres.". Those are discussions for other threads. Also, I'm not asking for your opinions on the genres, just your perception of which genre garners the most negativity on the forums.
So... what kind of music do we hate? ๐
OTHERS (from the thread):
- Country
- Rock opera
- Ambient
- Psytrance
- Nu-metal
EDIT: Based on some of the initial responses, here are some more notes:
- In general, you can consider the genre definitions open-ended (interpret them however feels right to you).
- For musical theater, disregard any of the visual aspects of it and just consider the recorded music that usually accompanies plays.
- This is not meant as a shot at any of the genres listed here (I love punk, for example), it's just some genres that I've seen badmouthed at one time or another on the forums.
Last edited by sp4cetiger on 02/25/2014 23:55; edited 4 times in total
Emo used to be good and Hair Metal requires far more musical talent than Post-Grunge.
Techno, Pop and Punk are rather vague descriptors. Go compare Big Star to Lady Gaga, and compare Black Flag to Blink-182. Techno is used as a catch-all for many types of electronic music it seems.
I don't see why someone would choose Progressive Rock. A lot of it reeks of pretension but that's only some bands and everyone and their mothers love Pink Floyd (and some other bands I guess).
Not sure 'Musical theatre' is a genre so much as an artform in itself, but it's surely the least cool thing in this poll by a country mile. Surprised there's no room for country on this poll. I find psytrance to be ridiculously uncool, it's music for crusties on six-day acid benders and is usually played on terrible, DJ-sourced soundsystems in some shitty excuse for a forest. So yeah, pystrance is the genre that I fail to see anything cool about, even with all the LSD and shrooms. Of those on the poll (not including 'Musical theatre' for reasons already stated), emo isn't very cool (but has an unjust reputation), whilst hair metal and prog are also pretty frowned upon. Not sure that techno is uncool at all, it isn't 2001 anymore, whilst disco is probably the most en vogue genre in the world. But yeah, I'm voting hair metal.
In general, you can consider the genre definitions open-ended (interpret them however feels right to you). For musical theater, disregard any of the visual aspects of it and just consider the recorded music that usually accompanies plays. Lethal is correct that it's not really a genre, but I think we all have a sense for what it typically sounds like.
Enough people here like GNR that hair metal isn't the least cool.
I love everyone here, so no offence intended, but judging by people's admissions in the lounge (you know, the ones regarding everybody's social life and lack thereof), I hardly think our user base are arbiters of what's cool and what isn't.
I love everyone here, so no offence intended, but judging by people's admissions in the lounge (you know, the ones regarding everybody's social life and lack thereof), I hardly think our user base are arbiters of what's cool and what isn't.
"Also, I'm not asking for your opinions on the genres, just your perception of which genre garners the most negativity on the forums."
I think Spacetiger meant the thread to be more based around what isn't cool on our forums than what isn't cool in general.
I love everyone here, so no offence intended, but judging by people's admissions in the lounge (you know, the ones regarding everybody's social life and lack thereof), I hardly think our user base are arbiters of what's cool and what isn't.
Brandon's actually interpreting it right, I'm looking for the perceptions of the userbase. "Cool" and "uncool" vary dramatically from place to place, so I was trying to make it specific to the forums.
But yeah... the average BEA user would have trouble getting into a lot of clubs.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum