I need a hip-hop album that'll totally blow my mind.

Goto page 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
I'm a very eclectic musician. I mostly listen to Alternative stuff, but my tastes go out into Death/ Doom metal and all the way into Country music as well. But I haven't found a hip-hop album that has blown my mind away. See I'm very VERY picky when it comes to music. I'm more of an album person than I am a song person, and a lot of things I won't really hate, but I'll just like it. I've found things in every genre that has blown my mind, except hip-hop. Any suggestions? I'll list the ones I've liked the most so far but didn't really do a lot to blow my mind away:

The Score- The Fugees (my favorite hip-hop/ rap album to date)
It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
Stankonia - OutKast

I mostly like music with lots of energy and intensity. Tear-jerkers would be awesome, as long as it's not overdone. A sense of humor would be nice. And please for the love of GOD don't list Insane Clown Posse.

And I don't mind if it's uber obscure either. That'll do just as fine as a popular album.
  • Quote
Im with you on Insane Clown Posse, If I had to list my most hated bands they would make the top 5

I cant believe Stankonia didnt blow your mind, I first listened to it expecting Ms Jackson and BOB to be the only stand out tracks but I found myself completely absorbed into it.

But I like you have been on a mission to find a Hip Hop album that ticks all my boxes Ive downloaded All of Jay Z, Nas, Outkast, Eminem, Puff Daddy, Biggie Smalls and also A Tribe Called Quest, I personally didnt get absorbed in the Low End Theory but if you havent listened to it give it a try. Also have you listened to Fear of a Black Planet, Illmatic or Straight Outta Compton?.

Other than that I dont really know what else to offer.
_________________
Having a family is the kind of thing that could be held against a person
  • Quote
If none of these blow your mind, hip hops probably not for you

Aesop Rock- Float
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Madvillian- Madvillainy
Mr. Lif- I Phantom
Notorious Big- Ready to Die
Cannibal Ox- The Cold Vein
Flying Lotus- Los Angeles
Del The Funkee Homosapian- I Wish My Brother George Was Here
Digable Planets- Reachin
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Boogie Down Production- By All Means Neccessary
The Bug- London Zoo
De La Soul- 3 Feet High and Rising
Raekwon- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Spank Rock- YoYoYoYoYo
Tha Alkaholiks- 21 & Over
  • Quote
Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Various - Headz (Mo' Wax label)
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
  • Quote
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing... (Best sample hip hop album around)
Madvillain - Madvillainy (The best underground-esque hip hop album around)
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (The best classic hip hop album around)

Those are really the only three hip hop albums I actually like. I tried Outkast, wasn't impressed, tried Nas, wasn't impressed, tried Eminem, wasn't impressed, tried Dr. Dre, wasn't impressed. So on so forth.
  • Quote
1. DR. Dre - 2001 (best hip-hop album ever)
2. Outkast - Stankonia (amazingly innovative !)
3. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (best old school hip-hop album)

you can be impressed by those too:

* Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner
* Kanye West - Late Registration
* A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
  • Quote
BACDAFUCUP- ONYX
_________________
And I stare at the sun.
And it leaves me Blind.
  • Quote
Illmatic by Nas
Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg
Late Registration by Kanye West
Doctors Advocate by The Game
Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan
Daily Operation by Gang Starr
  • Quote
For something a little different, 3 Years, 5 Months, & 2 Days In the Life Of... by Arrested Development.
_________________
<(: @ :)>
  • Quote
Personally, one of the only hip hop albums I enjoy is

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold by Atmosphere

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123  Next
Page 1 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
[ Poll ] BBAT: Sittin' Pretty VS Blow By Blow ... alelsupreme Tournaments
Need some hip hop/rap reccomendations benfitzuk Music
What Was the Last Album to Blow Your ... xMUSICSNOBx Music
"Listening online might totally ... meccalecca Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.