Music & Lyrics

Goto page 123456  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
I thought this would make for some interesting conversation. Obviously in most music, the instrumentation and the lyrics are complementary, and both are valuable to the makeup of the track. But which are (music or lyrics) holds the most value for you, and why?
  • Quote
If the instrumentation is good but the lyrics are bad there's still a chance I like the music. But I won't listen to bad instrumentation just because the lyrics are good. Examples:

I love Swervedriver's brand of shoegazing; however, in most cases I ignore the lyrics since with the exception of Last Train to Satansville they're pretty forgettable. And Benji is a good album lyrically (for the most part) but I typically get bored listening to it because the instrumentation doesn't interest me.

That said, obviously the best music has good lyrics and instrumentation. But I'm more willing to tolerate bad lyrics as I don't feel they're as essential.
_________________
And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
  • Quote
I don't get people who prefer lyrics to the music. If you like words, why be into music at all? Surely get involved with poetry or literature instead where the work is all much higher quality and much more interesting in terms of language.
  • Quote
I used to tell people that "if you want words, read a book". While I realize now that that argument itself is rather close-minded in its own way, lyrics really are to cinema what "plot" (not to be confused with narrative) is to cinema. It certainly enriches the experience, and gives you a lot more context into the meaning of the work, but it's ridiculous to view everything in the context of lyrics or "plot".

Of course, as Bazin stated 80 years ago, the idea of "pure music" or "pure cinema" is a myth, so we need to still appreciate the beauty of lyrics with the music. But I think one thing people should try to do more is pay attention to how artist sing their lyrics. There's often a great degree of semiotics to it, and the musical techniques put to work there do an amazing job at combining lyrics and music.
  • Quote
If lyrics truly were as important as instrumentation, there would be as many a Capella albums as there are instrumental albums.
_________________
alelsupreme wrote:
i am the obscure music man and when i hear anything thats sold more than 2000 copies i scream wordlessly and painfully until someone changes it.
  • Quote
Applerill wrote:
But I think one thing people should try to do more is pay attention to how artist sing their lyrics. There's often a great degree of semiotics to it, and the musical techniques put to work there do an amazing job at combining lyrics and music.


This sums up a lot of the reasons I consider lyrics and poetry different. When it comes to lyrics I feel there's a need to inflect the words and use pauses in a way that complements the direction the instrumentation is going, and that is an art in itself.
  • Quote
Trendall wrote:
I don't get people who prefer lyrics to the music. If you like words, why be into music at all? Surely get involved with poetry or literature instead where the work is all much higher quality and much more interesting in terms of language.


This.

I would compare lyrics to a pie crust. A really good or bad pie crust can make you enjoy the pie more or less but its still the filling that's important. Saying that lyrics make or break music is just dumb.

Pseud0Scorpion wrote:
This sums up a lot of the reasons I consider lyrics and poetry different. When it comes to lyrics I feel there's a need to inflect the words and use pauses in a way that complements the direction the instrumentation is going, and that is an art in itself.


That's still part of the music though, not the lyrics. Look at Weird Al, he makes parodies of songs, changes the lyrics, but still keeps all the inflections.
  • Quote
shoopadoowop wrote:
That's still part of the music though, not the lyrics. Look at Weird Al, he makes parodies of songs, changes the lyrics, but still keeps all the inflections.


That's true for that particular artist, but then you take cases like Joni Mitchell, where her extensive use of pauses and inflection in certain places, sometimes even in the middle of words, complemented the music in a unique way that wouldn't have been possible without her voice while still getting across a powerful story in her choice of words.
  • Quote
Pseud0Scorpion wrote:
That's true for that particular artist, but then you take cases like Joni Mitchell, where her extensive use of pauses and inflection in certain places, sometimes even in the middle of words, complemented the music in a unique way that wouldn't have been possible without her voice while still getting across a powerful story in her choice of words.


You completely misunderstood my point, which is inflections are still part of the music not the lyrics. We know this because you can change the lyrics and keep it sounding the same.
  • Quote
Sometimes good lyrics can win over mediocre background music (for the most part John Darnielle, David Berman, Bob Dylan)

And sometimes painful lyrics can ruin music. Nonetheless, I'm far more forgiving to bad lyrics and bad vocals than bad instrumentation.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123456  Next
Page 1 of 6


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
Music vs Lyrics thejoj96 Music
Great music with terrible lyrics Guest Music
R&B, Soul, & Funk Music: Comp... RoundTheBend Tournaments
Pain Lyrics/Songs nrs182 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.