Album of the day (#1949): Ella & Louis

View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Today's album of the day

Ella & Louis by Ella Fitzgerald And Louis Armstrong (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1956.
Country:
Overall rank: 1,250
Average rating: 79/100 (from 106 votes).



Tracks:
1. Can't We Be Friends
2. Isn't This A Lovely Day (To Be Caught In The Rain)
3. Moonlight In Vermont
4. They Can't Take That Away From Me
5. Under A Blanket Of Blue
6. Tenderly
7. Foggy Day
8. Stars Fell On Alabama
9. Cheek To Cheek
10. Nearness Of You
11. April In Paris

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Quote
I've always found this album cover to be really cute. I don't think it deserves to be on the top 20 albums of the fifties, though.
  • Quote
Applerill wrote:
I've always found this album cover to be really cute. I don't think it deserves to be on the top 20 albums of the fifties, though.


It just scrapes into my top 20 albums of the 50's. That being said, I definitely believe this deserves to be in our top 1,000... it's a shame that it isn't.

I really enjoy this album... it's just a very easy, very enjoyable listening experience with two spectacular singers in the spotlight.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
It started out strong and then I got bored with it. 70/100
  • Quote
Am I the only one who's deeply, let's say perplexed to keep things PC, by a very distinct Uncle Tom reminiscence whenever I look at this cover or listen to the album? I have always been very disturbed by this record.
  • Quote
Norman Bates wrote:
Am I the only one who's deeply, let's say perplexed to keep things PC, by a very distinct Uncle Tom reminiscence whenever I look at this cover or listen to the album? I have always been very disturbed by this record.


Hard words indeed.

I will say that I believe the effervescence of Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald is most palpable in the recordings from their youth. These are true American treasures.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
[ Poll ] Billie Holiday vs Ella Fitzgerald RoundTheBend Music
[ Poll ] Sweet 16: Louis-Jean Cormier v. Julia... baystateoftheart Tournaments
[ Poll ] Round 1: Taylor Swift v. Louis-Jean C... baystateoftheart Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.