Mom rock

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
I am not sure what this is. My mother enjoys music that I would consider to be "dad rock" - U2, Bruce Springsteen, Eagles, etc. Would those bands be considered mom rock, and if not then what is considered mom rock? I understand that music can be enjoyed by everyone, but I've seen this term floated around and I'm confused about what it means.
  • Quote
Mom rock is dad rock but with female vocals, e.g., Pat Benatar and Heart.
  • Quote
LoneStarRebel wrote:
Mom rock is dad rock but with female vocals, e.g., Pat Benatar and Heart.


Hmm, true. But I'd say that Billy Joel and Elton John and artists of that ilk are also "mom rock" but they're male, so...
_________________
  • Quote
I'd say mum rock, if it was a term, would be like that kinda softer (smh mad gender stereotypes out here!!!) 70's-80's rock sound that the artists mentioned previously would definitely fall under. If I had to pick the ultimate mum rock band it'd be Fleetwood Mac.
  • Quote
I donno, my mom listened to a lot of country, U2 and the Eurythmics so I guess "Mom Rock" is a variable term. "Dad Rock" however, pretty much lines up all the usual suspects.
  • Quote
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
I donno, my mom listened to a lot of country, U2 and the Eurythmics so I guess "Mom Rock" is a variable term. "Dad Rock" however, pretty much lines up all the usual suspects.


my dad listens to loads of eurythmics but he also loves meat loaf and led zep so it all balances out.
  • Quote
every pet rock you had as a child was taken forcibly from a mom rock. Think about that for a bit
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:
every pet rock you had as a child was taken forcibly from a mom rock. Think about that for a bit


fucked up if true
  • Quote
Hmm, I remember an RYM review of the new Destroyer album compared the sound to "plus-size department store* music", and I think that term is pretty interchangeable with mom-rock. And yes, Billy Joel and Elton John definitely fit that category. And yes, those two duds aside, this is as great a genre of music as the world is ever going to get, so stop being a fucking basic bro about it.

*Of course, we all know that the plus size fashion industry has already mostly transitioned from this maternal stereotype, but you get my point.
  • Quote
There's a channel back home called Alice that plays what me and my friends have referred to as mom music. Matchbox 20, the Goo Goo Dolls that are more ballad-y, Train, etc. Back in the day they played that one tune "Babylon" nonstop. I guess I associate that sort of "adult alternative" with it, tbh
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Please pray for my mom. JOSweetHeart Lounge
[ Poll ] CLOSED2018 BTT RD3- Jeannine Becomes ... cestuneblague Tournaments
Getting My Mom Into Good Music Applerill Music
[ Poll ] CLOSED-2018 BTT RD2- Jeanine Becomes ... cestuneblague Tournaments
[ Poll ] Closed- 2018 BTT- Jeanine Becomes a M... cestuneblague Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.