I'm looking to expand my knowledge of music more in order to diversify my chart, as well as find some new favourite albums. Most of the music I listen to has been released in the last thirty years, and I'd like to delve into the other decades and explore what they had to offer musically. The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure of where to start. I think the 80s would be the most logical next step for me as it should sound the closest to what I usually listen to.
The bands I listen to most are Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Tame Impala, and The Killers, so if there was something similar to them, I think that would be the best place to begin. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!
based on the bands you mentioned, The Smiths and Talking Heads seem like them most logical first and second steps if you haven't already listened. Then after that maybe Pixies, Sonic Youth, R.E.M., Joy Division's Closer, and maybe Orange Juice? Perhaps Dexys Midnight Runners?
The Smiths are a shoe-in. Other acts I recommend checking out if you haven't already:
The Church: Starfish // post punk
Cocteau Twins: Treasure // dream pop
Depeche Mode: Black Celebration // synth pop
The Blue Nile: A Walk Across The Rooftops // adult alternative
ETA: album names _________________ follow me on the bandcamp.
Last edited by craola on 06/22/2016 21:07; edited 1 time in total
babyBlueSedanUsed to be sort of blind, now can sort of seeProfile
The Replacements are a must-listen, and based off your taste I'd also suggest Dinosaur Jr, The Jesus And Mary Chain, and New Order. _________________ And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
meccaleccaVoice of ReasonProfile The Land of Enchantment
Adding to the list of very good recs from previous members...
Cocteau Twins (pick: Treasure)
Echo & The Bunnymen (pick: Ocean Rain)
The Waterboys (pick: This is the Sea)
The Cure (pick: Dissintegration)
Nick Cave (pick: Your Funeral...My Trial)
The Go-Betweens (pick: Liberty Belle
Kate Bush (pick: Hounds of Love) _________________ http://jonnyleather.com
These albums were released in 1987 and 1989 and they are two of my most favorites. ๐๐๐
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
God bless you and his family always!!! ๐๐๐
Holly
P.S. To me, you can't get anymore soul full than this late beautiful precious, I wish that I had discovered him before his going forward last fall, I love him SO much!!! ๐ข๐ข๐ข _________________ Me & my favorite singer James Otto
Check him out here when you can!
Lots of very good suggestions already, and I would especially second the following:
The Smiths, The The(Soul Mining), Cocteau Twins(Treasure), Talking Heads(Remain in Light), Depeche Mode(Music for the Masses).
Luckily I'm actually making my eighties list right now, so I've got a ton of suggestions. Just to give a few:
Synthpop/Dance
Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
Pet Shop Boys - Actually
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Peter Gabriel - So
Paul Simon - Graceland
Prince - Sign o' the Times/Purple Rain
Gang of Four - Solid Gold
Madonna - Like a Prayer
Rock/Punk
U2 - War/Joshua Tree
The Cure - 17 Seconds/Pornography/Head on the Door/Disintegration
10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
Husker Du - Zen Arcade/Candy Apple Grey
The Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Mission of Burma - Vs.
The Psychadelic Furs - The Psychadelic Furs
R.E.M - Document/Life's Rich Pageant
Rap
Eric B. and Rakim - Paid in Full
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
LL Cool J - Radio
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
I could keep going, but I'm afraid I'd just give my whole chart away. This should be more than enough to keep you busy. You probably won't like all of it, but I think it's all worth at least one listen. Have fun!
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum