Album of the day (#2200): Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Today's album of the day

Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1979.
Country:
Overall rank: 38
Average rating: 86/100 (from 1300 votes).



Tracks:
1. Disorder
2. Day Of The Lords
3. Candidate
4. Insight
5. New Dawn Fades
6. She's Lost Control
7. Shadowplay
8. Wilderness
9. Interzone
10. I Remember Nothing

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Quote
(Sorry, I don't mean to start this again, but) "Disorder" is another song I absolutely love to hear at a party.

(My brother also has the Disney version of the shirt, and I think there's even a Rock Slope album cover with him on it)
  • Quote
Although Unknown Pleasures is a fantastic album it has always been a mystery to me why their follow-up Closer isn't well known or praised at all? I feel like that album is just as good, yet I never see any Closer T-shirts just many variants of Unknown Pleasures, but then again Danny Brown named his new album after the opening track of Closer and one of Joy Division's best songs.
  • Quote
Applerill wrote:
"Disorder" is another song I absolutely love to hear at a party.

Got them moves like Curtis. im fully aware that the joke was in poor taste im too tired and busy and listening to this makes me even sadder than i am now
_________________
  • Quote
shanelovesyou1111 wrote:
why their follow-up Closer isn't well known or praised at all?


I mean, I'd say the cover art isn't as well known, but it's definitely held in high regards. Often see it up on record shop walls or whatnot, pretty sure my dad still has a poster of it at home frankly. I prefer this one by a long shot, but they're both great.

Anyhow this is one of the greatest albums ever made, and is genuinely one of the most important parts of who I am as a human being.
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote
Totally a classic
  • Quote
Pump up the treble.
  • Quote
shanelovesyou1111 wrote:
I never see any Closer T-shirts

i've seen both, but unknown pleasures is easily the better looking t-shirt. it's as much a fashion decision as a statement of musical taste.
_________________
follow me on the bandcamp.
  • Quote
I kind of enjoy Closer but I've always found this a slog. Joy Division will always be that band I never understand, I guess.

shanelovesyou1111 wrote:
Although Unknown Pleasures is a fantastic album it has always been a mystery to me why their follow-up Closer isn't well known or praised at all? I feel like that album is just as good, yet I never see any Closer T-shirts just many variants of Unknown Pleasures, but then again Danny Brown named his new album after the opening track of Closer and one of Joy Division's best songs.


Depends on your circles I'd say. Unknown Pleasures is definitely more iconic in the wider world but among the music crowd they're both usually in top 100s.

Never put two and two together with Danny Brown. Nice one.
  • Quote
yeah, i agree and i'd take it a step further to say that Unknown Pleasures is a generally mediocre album, while Closer really lives up to and might even exceed their legacy. every song on Closer is brilliant, and it's so cool to hear what a New Order album with Ian Curtis on vocals and a bit more of the macabre would have sounded like. Unknown Pleasures is sort of a baffling album to have gotten so popular that i can only imagine is due to the album cover being so good and Ian Curtis's life and death being so mythic. the music itself sort of sucks, and i sort of privately chuckle at people who deride hammy darkness in metal albums when they wear a shirt around of an album featuring the most unnatural bass vocals and most overwrought atmosphere ever.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
Unknown Pleasures or Closer? thejoj96 Music
[ Poll ] BDAT Rd. 2 - Unknown Pleasures vs. Vi... Guest Tournaments
[ Poll ] Unknown Pleasures Vs. Closer Hayden Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.