Album of the day (#3591): The Fat Of The Land by The Prodigy

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Today's album of the day

The Fat Of The Land by The Prodigy (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1997.
Country:
Overall rank: 525
Average rating: 76/100 (from 605 votes).



Tracks:
1. Smack My Bitch Up
2. Breathe
3. Diesel Power
4. Funky Shit
5. Serial Thrilla
6. Mindfields
7. Narayan
8. Firestarter
9. Climbatize
10. Fuel My Fire

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Quote
This is the perfect album to introduce a person to breakbeat, although The Chemical Brothers album Dig Your Own Hole is slightly better.
_________________
Do it yourself and let me play my music: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=61802
  • Quote
This was the first Prodigy album I bought. Still rate it as there best. It's the variety within which is why I prefer it over the others I have. Even with this, the whole thing. has a fantastic flow right through. Love the Middle Eastern flavour thrown in there. Bit of a surprise when I heard Keith topped himself. Was the reason why ever reported??
  • Quote
Spyglass wrote:
This is the perfect album to introduce a person to breakbeat, although The Chemical Brothers album Dig Your Own Hole is slightly better.


Well, I can't agree with that, those two albums are among my least favourites from the genre...
  • Quote
This album is gold, i can't say more than this.

PSYCHOSOMATIC, ADDICT, INSANE!!!
  • Quote
OMG I fucking LOVE this album. I've been heavy listening to this album since I was 2 years old (I used to call it the Crab-CD). (I think I've heard it around 100 times now, no cap). Perhaps my very favorite electronic album of all times, The Fat of The Land has a rule-breaking staying power, many other records only could wish for. Treat it the same way with My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. Don't we all remember how controversial the song and music video for the great Smack My Bitch Up was? Unlike nearly all controversial songs released in their respective era, this masterpiece still feels dangerous and "wrong" to put on - but that makes it soo much much better. Not a single note, single sound effect, single act of horror isn't perfectly placed on this incomparable work of genius. If Funky Shit/Serial Thrilla/Mindfields were one cut, and Narayan/Firestarter were another, it would classify as the epitome of modern progressive electronic.

Aight, I tried to make a comment without sounding like a complete fanboy but...
_________________
My Top 100 :
www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=4...amp;page=1

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
  • Quote
Timestarter wrote:
This album is gold, i can't say more than this.

PSYCHOSOMATIC, ADDICT, INSANE!!!


truer words, I'm yet to find.
_________________
My Top 100 :
www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=4...amp;page=1

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
  • Quote
Obnoxious, garish, overly indebted to a couple of synth presets, and overall actually pretty stodgy and predictable. They took the more palatable elements of hardcore, added a charismatic frontman, and aimed to take dance music out of clubs and onto festival main stages. It also now sounds incredibly dated. I always consider The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers to be electronic music for people who don't like electronic music, by and large. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends on your own leanings, I guess. It felt like everyone I grew up with or around owned a copy of this album, and I found it juvenile even as a kid. I actually have a really averse reaction to this thing; I cannot stand it, even in small doses. If 'Breathe' soundtracks an action sequence in a film I'm watching, it really ruins the experience. If someone puts 'Firestarter' on the jukebox, I take a cigarette break. In terms of music that actively, almost physically repulses me, this album is pretty high up the list.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
guzguzgarbit wrote:
Well, I can't agree with that, those two albums are among my least favourites from the genre...


That's interesting considering that those two albums are considered the best album by the two most critically-acclaimed breakbeat groups.
_________________
Do it yourself and let me play my music: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=61802
  • Quote
Spyglass wrote:
That's interesting considering that those two albums are considered the best album by the two most critically-acclaimed breakbeat groups.


A breakbeat is generally just a sampled solo drumbeat, often irregular, and used extensively in hip-hop and various genres of electronic music (but, most notably, in jungle/drum'n'bass). I think you mean 'big beat', which is a strange, vague term that was applied to catchy, hooky, festival-ready takes on dance music: The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Basement Jaxx, Bentley Rhythm Ace, et al. (In fairness, most of these artists do indeed make extensive use of breakbeats.)
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
[ Poll ] BBAT: Emperor Tomato Ketchup VS Fat O... alelsupreme Tournaments
RIP Prodigy Hayden Music
[ Poll ] BER Round 1: Prodigy vs. Lauryn Hill ... Guest Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.