Album of the day (#5446): Mercurial World by Magdalena Bay

View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Today's album of the day

Mercurial World by Magdalena Bay (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2021.
Country:
Overall rank: 1,709
Decade rank: 53
Year rank: 13
Discography rank: 2 (out of 5 albums on BEA)
Average rating: 77/100 (from 149 votes).



Tracks:
1. The End
2. Mercurial World
3. Dawning Of The Season
4. Secrets (Your Fire)
5. You Lose!
6. Something For 2
7. Chaeri
8. Halfway
9. Hysterical Us
10. Prophecy
11. Follow The Leader
12. Domino
13. Dreamcatching
14. The Beginning


Top voted comments:

"(Consistent and cohesive debut LP from Magdalena Bay. Some top-tier synthpop - creative, catchy and quite beautiful.)

I am a fan of this album. The things I love about great synthpop are here in droves. Those being a charming childlike wonderousness that is infectious when you listen, lots of catchy melodies, vocals that float along over the tracks like some sort of fairy spirit, and of course lots of tracks that can be danced around to like a wild person or can be enjoyed while sitting and dreaming about whatever it is you dream about. Synthpop isn't one of my go-to genres by any means, but this is being an exceptional version of the genre, I can say that I am enough of a fan of what this duo is doing with this style to consider this one of the better albums of the year.

The album is indeed pretty consistent. That said the opening run of tracks from the opener "The End" through track 7 "Chaeri" is a good deal more excellent and catchy to me than the last half. Note: This may be due to the simple fact that I listened to the first half of this 3 times and got interrupted each time, so I only have heard the album in its entirety twice, but that opening half 5 times. Idk, that is probably contributing to my current take that the first half is superior. Still, even now, I can say that the 1-2 punch that ends the album is just as good as anything at the start (except maybe "Secrets (Your Fire)" which is song of the year material to my ears).

The music here is dreamy and somewhat osychedelic, its got moments to inspire dancing and moments to inspire quasi-philosophical contemplation. And each track is stitched to the others in a smooth and seamless way. The album works really well as an album and not just a series of seperate tracks with occasional total standouts.

I don't have much of great intelligence to say about this one (go figure) but I think its really quite beautiful and its recommended to everyone but ESPECIALLY to those of you craving a great pop album. This is perhaps the best and most bubbly and gorgeous pop album of any variety I have heard this year. Stellar debut album as well. This is a super impressive way to start your LP career.
"
- Mercury
________________________________________________________

"Opulent, infectious and immaculately cheerful synth-pop. I don't think anyone making music right now is having more fun than these two."
- shanelovesyou1111
________________________________________________________

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Quote
Glad they improved on Imaginal Disk. Good cover art.
_________________
My Top 100 :
www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=4...amp;page=1

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
  • Quote
very enjoyable listen, I discovered this one a few days ago and it's still interesting every time I listen to it

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
Magdalena Bay corenfro Music
BEA Bay Area MrFrogger Lounge
World album of the day (#158): Kaleid... albummaster Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.